• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Off the snow training

asolo

Booting up
Skier
(covid-19 edition)

What training routine (specific exercises) do people use for ski specific strength training?

Normally I do stretching before runs and recently added ten pistol squats on each leg and some two and one legged jumps up and down stairs (forward and side). I think pistol squats do not exercise quads much though. I was also thinking that a jump rope may be helpful.

I have never done any organized strength training and have very little clue as to what to do. Links to videos and visuals would be great.

TIA

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Google Mountain Athlete e. It is. Cross-fit gym in Jackson. The owner, Rob, puts together on-line workouts. His ski training block is great, because he had technically solid skiers to base his programs off of (he’s a trainer, hit a skier). The training block for kayak.... not so much.

There is a fee, but if you are looking for direction, it is worth it. I pull several exercises out of his program for my use.

There are also more specific ways to determine exactly what you need to do. It involves assessment by a training pro, and can be conducted remotely. You would have the best possible information then.

Honestly, “training”, as in workouts to build physical capacity, is the last thing that most need. “Training “ as in training specific movement patterns that need attention is what most need. Do that and you will come into next season a much more technically advanced, and proficient skier.

Enjoy.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you can do actual pistols you are way ahead of most people true pistols take a tremendous amount of strength, coordination and flexibility.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
@martyg - are you talking about fixing bad movement patterns or learning ski specific movements on dry land, or both?

Both. Summer / off-season is a great time to retrain movement patterns. Mos people who all of the finess that they need to ski. What is lacking is range of motion.

If you have a technically solid mentor / coach there are two ways to go about it:

- Have them intro the movement pattern at end of season, and bridge it to dry land drills. Events like PSIA national academy are great for this - but not this year, of course.

- Work with a coach who is skilled at dry land training. They can assess your existing range of motion in various areas, relate it to ski movement patterns, and prescribe drills to address.

I've posted it a few times before - Anne Healzer out of Seattle is a great resource. I think that her clinic is MTI PT. She's a PhD level PT, and a L3 PSIA instructor. That combination of human mechanics and deep understanding of the physics of skiing is powerful. She can work remotely via Skype, Zoom, etc.

For the hundred or two that it might cost, you have extremely accurate, granular info on what you need to work on over the summer, to be a better skier next winter. I love info of that caliber, in all aspects of life.

Enjoy.

recbumper

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hannah Kearney gives a thorough basic set of exercises:

Last edited:

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 9.42.49 AM.png

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
Cool, lots of great ideas here! Thank you!