• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Off Season Mountain Activities

SkiBalletLives

Booting up
Skier
Everyone of us skiers, have various off season activities. One of my off season activities I like to participate in is Canyoneering.
I was recently descending a canyon in the Colorado mountains.

The Kendall Gulch area located in Silverton, Colorado, is rich in history. You get a chance of viewing historic trains on the descent. The water flow in the canyon was moderate-high to high. The canyon is very beautiful. I used retrievable anchors and was respectful to not clean and remove any webbing used by the ice climbers. The rappel off the 140' was incredible in the higher flows. The exit through the cliff bands was steep and required crawling on all fours. Being solo and carrying heavy wet rope and gear, the exit through the cliff bands was challenging. I spent a total of 2.5 days filming to capture the views. I used one day to acclimate to the 10,500 foot altitude, check the flows for solo descent, see the cabin, and capture the train on film. I did a total of two climbs ascending through the cliff bands. You can view the trip video here:

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
There's an existing thread on the topic you might want to check out

Sponsor

Staff online