• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you meant to say based on what the skiers on this site would have you believe.

Have to agree many here are much better at on a keyboard than on an actual pair of skis.
The trick is to spot real McCoys. Time on snow with others here cuts through the BS real quick.

Introspective time?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The same applies to using race skis to free ski. If you want to free ski on them after 10 in the morning, perhaps the slightly dialed back cheater models would be more appropriate. Using race skis on anything less than fully prepared injected courses can get old in a hurry due to their rebound energy as they try to plow through the crud.
Well the skis won't make you feet freeze and risk severe frost-bite on a cold day, so there is that difference.

As to folks here disagreeing, those with decades of experience (and thousands of hours) doing exactly that (skiing racing skis all day every day) may disagree, but with that experience, they are also likely old enough to appreciate the benefits of that cheater race ski too, and would probably choose it over the race ski on many days (although not all).

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think you meant to say based on what the skiers on this site would have you believe.
Last 40 years I’ve only been on Race Skis, GS preferred in all conditions, SL is my technical practice ski. Bad conditions, GS.

Based on what I know about a lot on this site. I’ll stand by my statement, I think a lot will disagree with you and have more experience.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
oh boy

RSTuthill

Booting up
Skier
Last 40 years I’ve only been on Race Skis, GS preferred in all conditions, SL is my technical practice ski. Bad conditions, GS.

Based on what I know about a lot on this site. I’ll stand by my statement, I think a lot will disagree with you and have more experience.
Only 40 years? You are a babe in the woods. I have used race skis longer than you!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ah, a challenge to get dick's out? Hahaha. This board certainly has some personalities on it.
No, not at all. Sure, there are some pretenders around, but there are also industry professionals, accomplished current and former racers (like Doug Briggs) here, PSIA ed staff, gear reps, hill reps, vintage gear collectors, top tier boot fitters, etc... a bit of background helps with context and what 'value added' you bring to the show. The nice thing here is most speak to each other like they might meet on the hill one day and enjoy some runs and a beer together. Many in fact have. This isn't TGR. I'm certainly happy to share my experience if it will help you understand where I'm coming from, and am happy to do so with pants on and fly zipped. Feel free to PM.

RSTuthill

Booting up
Skier
No, not at all. Sure, there are some pretenders around, but there are also industry professionals, accomplished current and former racers (like Doug Briggs) here, PSIA ed staff, gear reps, hill reps, vintage gear collectors, top tier boot fitters, etc... a bit of background helps with context and what 'value added' you bring to the show. The nice thing here is most speak to each other like they might meet on the hill one day and enjoy some runs and a beer together. Many in fact have. This isn't TGR. I'm certainly happy to share my experience if it will help you understand where I'm coming from, and am happy to do so with pants on and fly zipped. Feel free to PM.
While my college career was impeded by the institution I attended, I was nonetheless a four event skier back in the day if that gives you any idea. (You have to be of a certain age to understand what that means.) HINT: Alpine event in the morning, Nordic event in the afternoon. Nordic included jumping as well as X-C. Back on campus Sunday evening exhausted.

Last edited:
TS
Nobody

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier

Wanted to outline the sentence I put in bold...even if I'm pretty much skiing my "home hill" (but in the past 3-4 years have moved around the Alps - Italy, Austria, Slovenia, France - quite a lot in pursuit of a dream) only and still managed to meet a couple of people from the old Epicski site and whom might be present here as well, I would like it so much to meet more of you all!

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
BTW to stay on topic of this thread...
Just back from a two days GS training on the French glacier of L2A...considering I was coming from a 4 months and a half (nearly 5) period of no skiing, and worse no shoe on almost altogether (during lock-down, and now smartworking by "choice", went around the house barefoot all the time), must say that the worst I have experienced is a mild discomfort in the feet big-toe nails and some soreness on the feet soles after 4 hours of skiing, and the need to open up the buckles (but the top most one) after each run during the lift climb back up, which I understand is normal practice for everyone...so everything looks "going according to what to expect from such a boot".
To put things into (more) perspective, I have developed, since the thread inception, a - exacerbated by all the barefoot going months - pre-existing (to this last post) condition of plantar fasciitis, so it is all interlinked, the nice/funny thing is that the more I ski, the more the plantar fasciitis (off- skiing) recedes and calms down...this had a strange seasonal going, intensifying in the springs/summers and almost totally disappearing in autumns/winters
So the boot fitting (and ad-hoc boot insoles) done seems to have hit the nail and it's all in my hands now...as always, we shall see as time goes by.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Yeah, barefoot walking caused my plantar faciitis. I've been told by the doctor never ever to go barefooted and to only wear shoes with strong arch support. The PF hasn't returned. Arch support fixes it. I used to get PF in the summers. Glad to hear you've got yours figured out.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
To put things into (more) perspective, I have developed, since the thread inception, a - exacerbated by all the barefoot going months - pre-existing (to this last post) condition of plantar fasciitis, so it is all interlinked, the nice/funny thing is that the more I ski, the more the plantar fasciitis (off- skiing) recedes and calms down...this had a strange seasonal going, intensifying in the springs/summers and almost totally disappearing in autumns/winters

Do you not skate in the off season?

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
Yeah, barefoot walking caused my plantar faciitis. I've been told by the doctor never ever to go barefooted and to only wear shoes with strong arch support. The PF hasn't returned. Arch support fixes it. I used to get PF in the summers. Glad to hear you've got yours figured out.
Right, it all started in 2015 when I went June-October barefoot and/or with just a pair of Birkenstock sandals (I was on a sick leave due to a nasti car crash that put me off from July till December)...only to recede during winters and come back in summers, this is the first time that it hasn't receded in the winter...even if I use good supporting shoes (and with a good shock absorbing sole) in the winter.
Do you not skate in the off season?
Normally yes, but this summer I haven't yet begun even if my skating equipment is in the car trunk, ready to be used. Due to covid, activities on the race track are still limited to competing (as in active racers, members of a club) athletes...

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Normally yes, but this summer I haven't yet begun even if my skating equipment is in the car trunk, ready to be used. Due to covid, activities on the race track are still limited to competing (as in active racers, members of a club) athletes...

I used to get the opposite - switching from ski boots and winter hikers to Bonts was almost guaranteed give me two-three weeks of fasciitis pain every April.

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
I used to get the opposite - switching from ski boots and winter hikers to Bonts was almost guaranteed give me two-three weeks of fasciitis pain every April.
So you use Bont racing skating shoes? Maybe that's the reason you were experiencing the opposite PF "cycle". I do not, I use semi-rec Rollerblades W/ 4x100mm wheels and while after a one hr session my feet soles are numb/sore, the PT doesn't seem to worsen. I will pay more attention to this as soon as I will skate.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January