• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't use real race boots (Lange RS 130), but I developed PF at the end of the 2019 season after skiing with a new custom insole. My feet felt great during the season, but switching to sneakers and mowing the yard did me in. Never had it before, so I tried the typical home remedies of frozen water bottles, etc. Finally went to the podiatrist just before ski season last fall and started wearing good insoles in all of my shoes, wear them all of the time, and stretching out the feet after exercise. The PF has been slowly receding, even during ski season, but the biggest improvement has come this spring/summer when I go for short hikes wearing a 20 lb pack with hiking boots and the insole inserts. The extra weight seems to help stretch out the foot against the supportive insole, then removing the weight allows it to relax. I still get twinges, but I hope its gone by next ski season. Even at a 30.5, I've had more than a little work done on the toes to get my size 14 foot comfortable in these boots. I have a LV ankle area, but my right toes were just a little too wide and close to the front of the boots, the left boot took much less work than the right.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So you use Bont racing skating shoes? Maybe that's the reason you were experiencing the opposite PF "cycle". I do not, I use semi-rec Rollerblades W/ 4x100mm wheels and while after a one hr session my feet soles are numb/sore, the PT doesn't seem to worsen. I will pay more attention to this as soon as I will skate.

That's the one sentence version.

The longer story is that both my race booties and the footbeds in my recreational skates were designed to support an arch shape that balanced on very toed-in frames. (Beginner skates are toed out so that beginners naturally fall onto their inside edges). Very aggressive lateral arch and nothing at all like my winter hikers or my ski boots. For a while (~2009-2011) K2 even did fitness skates with that level of aggressive positioning (and the number of barely-used skates for sale was astonishing).

Last edited:
TS
Nobody

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
That's the one sentence version.

The longer story is that both my race booties and the footbeds in my recreational skates were designed to support an arch shape that balanced on very toed-in frames. (Beginner skates are toed out so that beginners naturally fall onto their inside edges). Very aggressive lateral arch and nothing at all like my winter hikers or my ski boots. For a while (~2009-2011) K2 even did fitness skates with that level of aggressive positioning (and the number of barely-used skates for sale was astonishing).
I have toyed with the idea of having customized dedicated footbeds for each of my skiboots (race, everyday and freeride/skin; so far I have a new custom footbed into the raceboots, a 25+ years old custom footbed into my everyday boots and the standard "cardboard" footbed into the freeride ones) and for the skateboots...a very costly option but, in the end, that might be the way to go

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have toyed with the idea of having customized dedicated footbeds for each of my skiboots (race, everyday and freeride/skin; so far I have a new custom footbed into the raceboots, a 25+ years old custom footbed into my everyday boots and the standard "cardboard" footbed into the freeride ones) and for the skateboots...a very costly option but, in the end, that might be the way to go
I have podiatrist quality inserts in all my regular shoes, but only the custom insole in my boots. I think I would get a new insole made if I got a second pair of boots, especially if it wasn't in the same Lange model family. My RS are a few years old, so I'd worry a new boot wouldn't fit exactly the same with the old insert. It sucks when your feet hurt!

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
I don't use real race boots (Lange RS 130), but I developed PF at the end of the 2019 season after skiing with a new custom insole. My feet felt great during the season, but switching to sneakers and mowing the yard did me in. Never had it before, so I tried the typical home remedies of frozen water bottles, etc. Finally went to the podiatrist just before ski season last fall and started wearing good insoles in all of my shoes, wear them all of the time, and stretching out the feet after exercise. The PF has been slowly receding, even during ski season, but the biggest improvement has come this spring/summer when I go for short hikes wearing a 20 lb pack with hiking boots and the insole inserts. The extra weight seems to help stretch out the foot against the supportive insole, then removing the weight allows it to relax. I still get twinges, but I hope its gone by next ski season. Even at a 30.5, I've had more than a little work done on the toes to get my size 14 foot comfortable in these boots. I have a LV ankle area, but my right toes were just a little too wide and close to the front of the boots, the left boot took much less work than the right.

so you paid a podiatrist for orthotics for all your day to day shoes, there is a lot more to getting rid of PF than expensive orthotics. i really hope he told you some of the next stuff too!.... the frozen water bottle was a start, but you really need to be working on the fascia either side of the ankle joint, get a foam roller and work your calves (it hurts like hell!!) but it will strip the fascia and allow the calf muscle to move more freely within its sheath, a mini roller under the foot will help massage and elongate the planstar fascia and other structures under the foot, lots of calf stretches but long and slow, the added weight in the pack is not really a trteatment plan of any sort..... the biggest change you can make is NO BAREFOOT EVER that means stand up from watching TV your shoes with inserts go on, wake at 3am to go tot he toilet, your shoes go on, wake at 7am the shoes go on and you move around for 15 mins or so before taking them off to have a shower, you still have a few months till ski season so should have time to get this nailed, one advantage you have with your current boot is that it is fairly upright so isn't forcing you forward and using up what range of motion you have.

good luck

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
so you paid a podiatrist for orthotics for all your day to day shoes, there is a lot more to getting rid of PF than expensive orthotics. i really hope he told you some of the next stuff too!.... the frozen water bottle was a start, but you really need to be working on the fascia either side of the ankle joint, get a foam roller and work your calves (it hurts like hell!!) but it will strip the fascia and allow the calf muscle to move more freely within its sheath, a mini roller under the foot will help massage and elongate the planstar fascia and other structures under the foot, lots of calf stretches but long and slow, the added weight in the pack is not really a trteatment plan of any sort..... the biggest change you can make is NO BAREFOOT EVER that means stand up from watching TV your shoes with inserts go on, wake at 3am to go tot he toilet, your shoes go on, wake at 7am the shoes go on and you move around for 15 mins or so before taking them off to have a shower, you still have a few months till ski season so should have time to get this nailed, one advantage you have with your current boot is that it is fairly upright so isn't forcing you forward and using up what range of motion you have.

good luck
Yes, he was a good doc and gave me the complete program. I was just relating the things that seemed to work well for me. I always wear my shoes with orthotics and avoid going barefoot. That has really helped as well as stretching out my foot, calves, and legs after exercise. I will add back the foot massages like you suggest.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Funny thought just now, but years ago, Jules Mills said I was going to have foot trouble when I got older. Classic kooky almost lateral/medial hypermobile feet, medium'ish dosiflexion, pour my feet into the boot like a bowl of soup ... barefoot in the house, flip flops for errands, etc... , but all performance footwear have something, either a custom or trim to fit, in them. Customs are in ski boots (2 sets), and cycling shoes (1 )... the cycling footbeds are great btw! At any rate, no general foot pain or issues, and feeling very happy and fortunate that Jules was mistaken.
:)

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier

good luck
I'm using a "foam" roller and tennis balls (old Tretorns), exercising as you mention during my "sitting at workdesk" time, but I still move around the home barefoot. I know I shouldn't do it, but I can't help myself, I so love moving around (at least at home) barefoot.
Funny you mention "15 minutes" after waking/getting up, that's more or less the time I need to move around to regain ankle/feet mobility after the night (that and/or a warm shower, I noticed that a warm shower shortens the time)

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
Believe it or not, my PF is "suddenly" gone...
Is stopped paying attention to it, while continuing to walk barefoot at home, and even training at the gym, barefoot... Some time ago, I realized it was gone. Still do not understand why or how. I guess it will return, sooner or later.
As for the ski boots, I took out the "everyday" Dalbellos (DRS 110) , last month,with their original half laced up liners but with the carbon footbed in them. Skied my everyday ski (Voelkl Racetiger "GS" in 175, R18). Got no complaint about being too upright or in the back seat from the coach, nor felt it that way myself...maybe I am adapting to the "new" boots, at last.
Now, I shall repeat that with the Dalbello DRS SS and the 185 R25 skis combo (Dalbello DRS SS and the 186 R21 GS skis were giving me a marginally better feeling - and timing - both on the GS course and while freeskiing), curious to "see" how it will go...

Last edited: