• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ocean View Chairlift

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
It's a pretty neat view from the water, but what's really spectacular is looking out over Penobscot Bay, on a bright sunny winter day after fresh snow, when all the islands are white and the water is glittering. Really beautiful. Camden is a great town. Ski area is classic small, local, New England.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Japan? Many ski resorts close to the coast. That's where the snow is coming from, ocean 'lake effect'. Going there in February with my daughter, hoping to get some photos and post a TR.

A photo of niece at Snow Cruise Onze, outside of Sapporo by Otaru. You can see the Sea of Japan and it's powder snow. We went on two consecutive New Year's weekend afternoons/evenings, no lines. Just a tiny hill but tons of fun for < 20USD for lift ticket and cafeteria curry plate or ramen.

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/hokkaido/otaru/snow-cruise-onze

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Alyeska many moons ago. Personally, I would call it a view of the ocean but I guess it's subjective. Turnagain Arm has tides (actually, the tides there are pretty extreme), beluga whales and is part of Cook Inlet which leads directly to the Gulf of Alaska. Sadly, I have no pictures from skiing there.

Side note, when we used to drive from Anchorage (where we lived) to a friend's 10 acres on the Kenai River for camping and fishing nearly every weekend in the summer we often would come upon scores of cars parked on either side of the highway along Turnagain Arm. We only had to look at which direction everyone was staring figure out if it was mountain goats or beluga whales.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Can you see the water from Hermon Mountain?

In Maine? I've only been there once, and it was heavy overcast. But, it's only about 300 of vertical, and inland. I'm pretty sure that Hermon Pond can be seen from the top, not salt water, but water......

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
All of the Anchorage area ski areas; Arctic Valley, Hillside, Hilburg and of course Alyeska give you an ocean view.

Arctic Valley might have one of the most amazing view I have ever seen coming off the mountain on a Spring late afternoon. You get an optical illusion, like a mirage, that makes some of the mountains ranges across Cook Inlet look like nuclear clouds. I don't have a photo of that unfortunately; a beautifully disturbing view.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Eaglecrest in Juneau, AK may qualify...
image.jpeg
(Not my photo)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
From the top of Rusutsu's East Mt on a good day you can see the Sea of Japan looking west past Mt Yotei & the runs at Niseko, and the Pacific looking past Lake Toya (with the island in it). I have photos somewhere; will post if I can find. Other places with ocean views: the defunct Niseko Iwanai in Hokkaido and Itoigawa Seaside (not quite, but just a few km inland) north of the Hakuba range. No lifts, but Mt Chokai on the Yamagata-Akita border is a famous spring touring area very close to the Sea of Japan coast.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was digging around to find a picture I had of a friend's son racing at Nubs Knob in Michigan. The shot was incredible with him making a great turn with Lake Michigan in the background. Not an ocean, but the Great Lakes are pretty....well, great!
I'll keep digging for the picture and see what I can find.
@Kneale Brownson do you have any shots like that?

Here is a stock image I found -
Nubs Michigan .jpg

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Lake Superior from one of the hilltops at Lutsen:

58904731.jpg

I used to have a picture of me skiing Awful Awful at SugarLoaf with Lake Michigan in the background, but I can't seem to find it now.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lake Superior from one of the hilltops at Lutsen:

58904731.jpg

I used to have a picture of me skiing Awful Awful at SugarLoaf with Lake Michigan in the background, but I can't seem to find it now.
I remember seeing a photo of Awful Awful like you're describing. Was it you or someone else? Hmmmm, now you have me thinking.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
Looking out over the Mississippi Ocean from Chestnut.

Attachments

• 46904009.jpg
    46904009.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 65

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I remember seeing a photo of Awful Awful like you're describing. Was it you or someone else? Hmmmm, now you have me thinking.

Someone turned the picture of me into a postcard.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Nobody's mentioned Cypress or Grouse in Vancouver.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online