• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Obermeyer good?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any of you guys have any experience with this brand? I found one of their jackets for a great price that fits well. It is feature-laden and seems like a great buy but I would appreciate some experts backing up my purchase decision.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I had one thirty.five years ago. Great jacket. No clue about this era, but they have been in business a very long time.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes, it's a fine mid-market brand. Like most brands they have goods to meet several price points. Their top-range stuff tends to be very durable, good to very good for water resistance, excellent for wind resistance and warmth. Not the top of the class for breathability or lightness or athletic fit.

If I was forced to choose between Obermeyer, Marker, Underarmour, Quicksilver or Sun Ice at the same price point, I'd probably go with Obermeyer.

Gratuitous Klaus video (he's the one with the tail) :

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I want a jacket that can handle pow days and keep me dry and warm, that is what this purchase is about.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my Obermeyer. It's one that I don't use much because it's too warm for where I usually ski. I can't speak to it's durability for that reason, but it is warm and waterproof and comfortable. I don't like the pockets though.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Can't speak to that specific jacket but it ticks all the boxes. My two concerns would be a) how windproof is it and b) how does the polyester stitching (notice that it's not nylon) hold up. It's probably fine, but if you look for reviews look for answers to those two questions.

I will second what mustski said, ^that class of insulated jackets can sometimes be too warm in cool low-wind conditions, and then, if you got rid of some layers, too cold when the wind picks up and the temps drop through the floor.

Make sure you have layering choices on the hill.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Went with a TNF jacket that has layers and all the bells and whistles. So far no regrets. The layering suggestion was a good one, it is nice to be able to drop a jacket at lunch when the sun is out which it usually is here in AZ.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I got my DH a similar looking jacket. Our landlord was the Canadian rep/distributor, so sample deal. He liked it, but found it wasn't warm enough for Tremblant. I know for the ladies they are one company that makes stuff small enough for petite women to fit into and stay warm.

At 30K, "waterproofness" that's better than Salomon stuff!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
One of the ski shops I worked in sold Obermeyer clothes they were good quality at a fair price. I own a pair of their gloves that must be 30 years old still dry and warm. My wife had an Obermeyer jacket that was poly fill with matching ski pants they were warm and good looking.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I have owned both an Obermeyer insulated jacket and a shell. I have been very impressed with the quality/price point balance of the items I have. They also make some really nice mid-layer 1/4 zip mock sweaters that I have been extremely pleased with in terms of fit and quality.

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Quuen of the Hop has two OBEY's both great ,one is 28 yrs old ,she gets many complements on it . Her warmest jacket has lots of fancy embroidery on it looks very good . We used to know Franz Elsigan , a former Austrian Olympic Ski Team member in the 50's who was a manager for Klaus Obermeyer back in the 70's . Franz owned a resort in the "Dacks" that we styaed at for several yrs . Graet guy he was the ski school director at a number of places in NYS . Back in the day .. His thing was he was a ski jumper a real flyer .

So thats when we first started buyoing Obey gear , stuff is quality

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Heres the Queen's vintage Obermeyer. 1988 still uses it frequently especially in sub zero weather, great quality
image.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most every major manufacturer offer premium/highline products along with price point series. Most are judged on one or the other.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
This is what I am looking at, can I do better? I am open to other brands for sure, looking to spend under $400. http://www.park2peak.com/Obermeyer-Charger-Jacket-Men-s-p/obermeyercharger.htm?1=1&CartID=0

I want a jacket that can handle pow days and keep me dry and warm, that is what this purchase is about.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Obermeyer. I live near a The North Face (TNF) factory outlet and have found amazing deals during the salesman sample and great deals during other sales. TNF has great stuff--well made and functional-- but you have to be very careful about buying it on places like eBay due to all the knockoffs.

If you are a size medium I have a TNF Steep Tech Agency jacket I'm thinking of selling, used only once, for $180 + shipping. It is perfect. I have another one, and don't need two.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Most every major manufacturer offer premium/highline products along with price point series. Most are judged on one or the other.

This is a great point. I've fondled some TNF products that didn't seem very technical or high quality. But the last two days with frigid temps at Breck, I've been wearing my TNF insulated jacket (just checked, but couldn't find a model name). It's warm, it's cozy, and I wear it all the time around town. Unlike most women's XLs, it not only zips up for me, but it has room for layers. It has lots of good pockets (often missing on women's clothing) and a removable helmet-compatible hood. It has a rough texture that has stood up well against ski edges on the shoulder (my Arc'teryx is already showing wear from my ... haphazard style of carrying skis). If it's not actually as windproof as the Arc'teryx, it's damn close. The only thing I'm not sure of is the level of waterproofing. Usually if it's cold enough to wear this jacket, getting wet isn't really a concern. It *might* be waterproof - I just don't remember. And it looks nice, too - I get compliments.

Of course, price point matters. If a manufacturer offers some $150 jackets and some $300 and some $500 ... well, there's a reason.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
It look ok.....

21030_15069.jpg

I am curious if its actually good fabric or not though.....saying its waterproof and being waterproof have prove to be different things.

Polar Bear

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The Quuen of the Hop has two OBEY's both great ,one is 28 yrs old ,she gets many complements on it . Her warmest jacket has lots of fancy embroidery on it looks very good . We used to know Franz Elsigan , a former Austrian Olympic Ski Team member in the 50's who was a manager for Klaus Obermeyer back in the 70's . Franz owned a resort in the "Dacks" that we styaed at for several yrs . Graet guy he was the ski school director at a number of places in NYS . Back in the day .. His thing was he was a ski jumper a real flyer .

So thats when we first started buyoing Obey gear , stuff is quality

Franz is my Step-Father. He passed away a few years back now. Needless to say I had a lot Obey end of year demos growing up which helped keep the racing costs down. Did you buy any of the demo off his Oberymeyer RV/traveling show room? He might have had some stuff still during the summer. I liked Obey stuff a lot but then again, I didn't know any different. I was always warm and comfortable skiing the bulletproof snow in the below zero days of the NE US in the 70s and 80s.
The resort was Big Rock on Fourth Lake between Old Forge and Inlet NY. My Mom was Jodi. I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit. Depending on the year you were there I may have given you a pull (go for a waterski) on Wednesday afternoons. I started skiing with Obey gear when I was 3 when he directed Cockaigne ski resort before Old Forge. Cheers - Derek

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Franz is my Step-Father. He passed away a few years back now. Needless to say I had a lot Obey end of year demos growing up which helped keep the racing costs down. Did you buy any of the demo off his Oberymeyer RV/traveling show room? He might have had some stuff still during the summer. I liked Obey stuff a lot but then again, I didn't know any different. I was always warm and comfortable skiing the bulletproof snow in the below zero days of the NE US in the 70s and 80s.
The resort was Big Rock on Fourth Lake between Old Forge and Inlet NY. My Mom was Jodi. I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit. Depending on the year you were there I may have given you a pull (go for a waterski) on Wednesday afternoons. I started skiing with Obey gear when I was 3 when he directed Cockaigne ski resort before Old Forge. Cheers - Derek

DEREK !!! Awesome to hear from you ,but sad to learn of. FRanz. He was a cool guy .

Sure i remember your mom and Franz , they were really nice to us at. Big Rock Lodge ! Yeah they took us all of us , me the Queen Of the Hop and my two kids out skiing and boating .We loved that place, think we were there 76- 78 .

My now adult children took the Queen and I back to The Wood Inn in Inlet for our 50 th anniversary last August . We all went to check out BIG ROCK , the waterfront there still is awesome .

Yeah many good memories ' here s a shot of us at our 50th anniversary taken at the Wood Inn dock at inlet on 4th lake , i ll see if i can find a shot of Big Rock . GReat to hear from you
Bryan

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 100