• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Oakley Prizm lenses

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Instead of buying new goggles this season in an attempt to get some of the newer technologies over my eyes. I simply bought 2 new lenses for my Oakley Airbrakes. They fit me, and my helmet WELL. I considered revisiting Smith to take advantage of the Chromapop, but I have always felt like Smith's quick change options did't seal well enough and were drafty.

The lenses I got were the the following

Prizm Rose for low light/stormy
Prizm Torch for medium/sunny

I first tried the Prizm Torch on a medium almost low light day that I would normally choose the VR50 Pink. I was immediately blown away by the clarity, and the way the terrain contours popped. The terrain was so much more enhanced that it actually effected my judgement a little. Somewhat scaring me in the low tide conditions by enhancing facets of the terrain that i would generally just ignore, and absorb. I also wore it on a very bright day, and loved the light transmission, feeling no eye strain that I might feel if I had been wearing the VR50. And where I most likely would have preffered the Oakley dark grey. This is a solid lens that I could almost wear in ANY condition except for night skiing.

Versatility of the Torch aside. I do a lot of storm skiing, and I prefer a little more light transmissison. I would normally wear the Oakley Hi Yellow in these conditions. I put on the Rose in the parking lot on a stormy pow day. It immediately gave the atmosphere almost an alpenglow, with the same vivid definition the torch provided. I wore it all day in a storm, with a few occasional sun breaks. When the sun popped I did not feel the cornea searing discomfort I would feel with the Hi-yellow. I have not tried the Rose at night. I suspect I may revert to Hi Yellow at night. But I will give the rose a shot.

I am very happy with the Oakley Prizm. I was told a couple years ago by a friend in the industry what a game changer they were. I'm a believer now.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm thoroughly addicted to these lenses. I have the same combination as you as far as lenses. I have the Flight Deck XM with Torch for sunny days and the Crowbar with Prizm Rose lenses for low vis days. I was at Killington last weekend where visibility at the summit was well mostly nonexistent between the blowing snow, the natural snow coming down and the fog. I had my rose lenses on and visibility was poor but I could see right in front of me without issue, I could even see the snow where it was thin/icy and where the coverage was good. These goggles make me feel like I have 3d vision. I took them off a couple of times and was blown away by how much worse the visibility was without my magical goggles. Had them over my eyes and I could see, flipped the lenses up on my helmet and OMG couldn't see at all, no visibility whatsoever. I'm so thrilled with these lenses that anytime anyone ever says they can't see on a particular day I offer up my oakleys for them to try. A true game changer for me. I hated goggles before this, truly hated them and would rather wear sunglasses and freeze my face off than wear goggles. The prizm lenses were a true game changer for me as well. Now I don't even wear sunglasses on sunny days, I wear my Flight Deck XM with Prizm Torch lenses.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Versatility of the Torch aside. I do a lot of storm skiing, and I prefer a little more light transmission. I would normally wear the Oakley Hi Yellow in these conditions. I put on the Rose in the parking lot on a stormy pow day. It immediately gave the atmosphere almost an alpenglow, with the same vivid definition the torch provided. I wore it all day in a storm, with a few occasional sun breaks. When the sun popped I did not feel the cornea searing discomfort I would feel with the Hi-yellow. I have not tried the Rose at night. I suspect I may revert to Hi Yellow at night. But I will give the rose a shot.

This. Plus everything else Ecimmortal said.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm very happy with mine, too. I wore the rose lens today in variable foggy but mostly sunny conditions. I have the jade for bluebird days, and I just bought the Hi Pink for true storm days. I'll report back on those after I wear them in a storm.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The terrain was so much more enhanced that it actually effected my judgement a little. Somewhat scaring me in the low tide conditions by enhancing facets of the terrain that i would generally just ignore, and absorb.

Interesting.......... I just did a minor review on the Smith Chromapop (Trivex like the Prizm's) lenses I put into my Prophecy goggles......... I had the same exact reaction! It totally slowed me down on my runs. The detail was almost disorienting at first.

AndesPride

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm very happy with mine, too. I wore the rose lens today in variable foggy but mostly sunny conditions. I have the jade for bluebird days, and I just bought the Hi Pink for true storm days. I'll report back on those after I wear them in a storm.

Hi AmyPJ how was the HI Pink performance?? I´m deciding between Rose and HI Pink for Whistler next month, forecast is not so good (snow, overcast)
Thanks for your help

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi AmyPJ how was the HI Pink performance?? I´m deciding between Rose and HI Pink for Whistler next month, forecast is not so good (snow, overcast)
Thanks for your help
Oh, I forgot to update! Good! Better than the rose and yet today, when the sun came out, I wasn't blinded in them. I definitely prefer the Hi Pink for snowy/low light days.

AndesPride

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks, have you tried the Chromapop Storm?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm starting to think I'm not a fan of the Prizm Rose lenses. I have the Iridium Torch lens that I originally intended for sunny days but I'm finding the rose are too dark for me for those low vis days. I've been wearing the Torch lenses all the time and that seems to be fine. It was clear out today but cloudy and I wore the torch lens all day without an issue. Perhaps my vision has gotten worse and the rose no longer works for me. What other prism lens would "brighten" things up better than the rose?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I just found a deal on Oakley Crowbars with the hi yellow lens so I'm going to try these. I'll still use my Iridium prizm torch for partial and full sunny days. If the hi yellow works than my prizm rose ones will be up for sale. I also have a pair of Smith I/O goggles for sale which I need to put in the gear for sale section.