• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OA & Achy Joints: My experiences with Glucosamine Sulfate, "Move Free" and CBD

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Thought I'd share. I've been a self-imposed lab rat for almost two years now...

I'm in my late 60s and began presenting psoriatic arthritis symptoms 6 years ago, when I returned to skiing after a ~12yr hiatus. Back then, I started a long road to getting myself back into shape with a vigorous exercise/strength building plan (at least 4 days per week). Well into the 1st year I began getting arthritis pains in my SI joints and then psoriatic breakouts. I coped, but there were times the SI issues impacted my skiing for weeks at a time. Targeted hip, lower back exercises really improved my SI joint issues. Leg strength exercises - particularly lunges - still could tweek my knees, depending on how hard I'd push myself. Eventually, I had to tune-down my exercise program to allow a day or two for joint recovery. Bummer.

Two years ago, I did a summer-long hardscaping project at our home. Lots of hoisting heavy rocks/blocks and lots of work on hands&knees. This took a toll on my knees, which resulted in persistent typical OA aches, pains & swelling. After months of this, I grew concerned, saw the 'doc & the verdict was arthritis & basically cope with it (I'm over simplifying it here) and if things get really bad, perhaps get knee replacements. Ug.

So, 18mos ago, I decided to give glucosamine and "Move Free" supplements a shot. I did some research and chose glucosamine sulfate, as that form seemed to show somewhat better results in studies (plus it's sodium free & easy on BP). I also added "Move Free" (Costco). Some friends of mine swear by it. I took just 1 tablet of each daily (for the glucosamine, that's 1/2 the listed dose). After reviewing the research, I understood it would likely take months of use before I could notice any improvement - or I could see no improvement. It took 6 months before I noticed an improvement. SI joints & knees were almost normal. Maybe "90% normal". However, with sports activity I could still tweak a knee or SI joint and the recovery could still take weeks.

Enter CBD. I began using it 3 months ago. I take non-THC hemp oil (700mg or greater formulation). Only 1/3 dropper (5-6 drops) twice daily. Noticed a big improvement after a week. SI joints are almost 100%, knees 95%. Recovery from tweaks is quicker, about a week. Psoriatic outbreaks are rare & relatively tiny now.

Then I included a CBD ointment. When I tweak a knee, I'll apply the ointment on the knee before bedtime. After two or three nights of this the knee is back to "normal". So, for me, that's a huge improvement in recovery time. Super happy about this.

Now that I know I can tolerate the glucosamine sulfate - and that it does seem to help - I recently began taking two per day, which is the full listed dose.

Now I'm waiting for snow to see if the above results help the quality of my skiing experience. Fingers crossed.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nothing works for everyone. The items you mention help some. Glucosamine has shown mixed results with mild to moderate osteoarthritis (wear & tear of the joints). I tried oral CBD...no help for me. It's working for you; great. You might also discuss with a doctor injections of a hyaluronic acid artificial synovial fluid product into the joints. Orthovisc brand worked very well for me for a few years.

Schiff Move Free is mainly glucosamine hydrochloride and chondroitin. I'm not sure if any tests have shown chondroitin to be effective. Mainly you're taking two types of glucosamine.
https://nccih.nih.gov/research/results/gait/qa.htm

While there are over 100 types of arthritis, the five most common are osteo, rheumatoid, psoriatic, lupus, and gout. For psoriatic arthritis a rheumatologist should be consulted. Some of the new biologic drugs are very effective. Early treatment can help reduce permanent damage to the joints.

TS
eok

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Nothing works for everyone. The items you mention help some. Glucosamine has shown mixed results with mild to moderate osteoarthritis (wear & tear of the joints). I tried oral CBD...no help for me. It's working for you; great. You might also discuss with a doctor injections of a hyaluronic acid artificial synovial fluid product into the joints. Orthovisc brand worked very well for me for a few years.

Schiff Move Free is mainly glucosamine hydrochloride and chondroitin. I'm not sure if any tests have shown chondroitin to be effective. Mainly you're taking two types of glucosamine.
https://nccih.nih.gov/research/results/gait/qa.htm

While there are over 100 types of arthritis, the five most common are osteo, rheumatoid, psoriatic, lupus, and gout. For psoriatic arthritis a rheumatologist should be consulted. Some of the new biologic drugs are very effective. Early treatment can help reduce permanent damage to the joints.

Thanks! I'm aware of the things you described.

I've other family members that have arthritis related joint issues & tried injections (one stem cells and the others some form of hyaluronic acid). Mixed results. It's too early to assess the stem cell injection results.

The 'doc & I discussed Humira early on. I'd rather put that off as long as possible because of the side effects & risks. I have a close family member that has been on it for 3+ years & I've seen first-hand the upsides & downsides of biologicals.

As you indicated: what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have osteoarthritis in both knees. I cope, knowing that one day down the road I may need knee replacements. Glucosamine never helped, and I haven’t tried CBD oil. I started taking cod liver oil after a friend in Iceland insisted I try it (It’s a staple at breakfast there....high in Vitamin D for low sun days). Anyway, after several weeks of doing that, I noticed improvement. Lunges tweak my knees, so I avoid them and do body weight squats. I do long fast walks, bike rides, and swims. My days of lifting heavy weights are over...knees just get too inflamed. I have had several synvisc injections in the past when my one knee was really painful....they were helpful.

I noticed last year that my lighter, slightly softer Roxa boots seem to help.....I can ski multiple days without my knees swelling like they did the year before, all else being equal.

Sponsor