• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NYIAS: 2020 Subaru Outback

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2020-subaru-outback.jpg

2020-subaru-outback.jpg

2020-subaru-outback.jpg
From Edmunds:

What's New?
For starters, the Outback gets a new look — sort of. The wagon-like profile is still distinctively Outbackian. But there are new headlights and taillights, a larger front grille, wider fenders, and a wider opening at the rear hatch. It all sits on a new platform that Subaru says decreases road noise and improves structural rigidity.

Subaru says it reworked the Outback's base 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine. Power is up from last year's 175 horsepower to 182 ponies in the 2020 model. Torque gets a similarly modest increase from 174 lb-ft to 176 lb-ft, as does fuel economy, which Subaru expects to be 26 mpg city/33 mpg highway.

Also available is a new turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder that pumps out 260 hp and 277 lb-ft of torque. This engine replaces the 3.6-liter six-cylinder from the previous generation. Both the updated 2.5-liter engine and the new turbocharged 2.4-liter engine are paired to a continuously variable automatic transmission and come standard with all-wheel drive.

On the inside, you'll find a new optional infotainment display: a tablet-style 11.6-inch screen powered by Subaru's Starlink system. Starlink is one of the better infotainment systems on the market thanks to its easy-to-access information and quick response times. While we haven't had real-world experience with this new screen-and-software pairing, we suspect the Starlink system will be right at home on this brilliantly good-looking new screen.
What Comes Standard?

The new 2020 Outback will be available in seven trim levels: base, Premium, Limited, Touring, Onyx Edition XT, Limited XT and Touring XT. The base, Premium, Limited and Touring models all get the 2.5-liter engine, while XT models get the turbocharged 2.4-liter engine. Standard on all models is Subaru's EyeSight driver assist technology — a suite of active and passive driver aids. That suite includes adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist (plus lane centering), and DriverFocus, an infrared camera with facial recognition capabilities that can spot driver fatigue or distraction.

Standard on all but the base model is that aforementioned 11.6-inch touchscreen display, which includes Apple CarPlay and Android Auto along with Bluetooth connectivity and satellite radio. On upper trim levels, available features include LED headlights, blind-spot monitoring, reverse automatic braking, a head-up display, a 180-degree front-view camera, heated and ventilated front seats, four USB ports and a power rear liftgate.

As is the case with all of Subaru's SUVs, the Outback has 8.7 inches of ground clearance, meaning it's more than ready for inclement weather and some light off-roading.

2020 Outback Pricing and Release Date

We don't have official pricing data on the new 2020 Outback yet, but the current one should give us a clue. The current base-model Outback starts around $27,000, and the topped-out models such as the 3.6R Touring go for just under $40,000. We expect a small price increase for the new model. According to Subaru, the 2020 Outback will be on sale in fall of 2019. Check back with Edmunds for the latest information as well as a full review and rating.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Uh, not the most creative design evolution that I've ever seen. And they got rid of the six cylinder. Booooo.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
The 2.4 turbo has more power, gets better mileage, and will perform better at altitude compared to the H-6. I think that's a good change, personally.

None of the other cars that moved to the new SGP platforms in the last year got major redesigns either, this was pretty much to be expected. The car may look mostly the same, but is completely new inside and under the skin. Based on the other SGP vehicles, this should be a noticeable improvement over the current gen Outback.

I like it. My '08 Outback is getting up there, this could be my next car, perhaps.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Uh, not the most creative design evolution that I've ever seen. And they got rid of the six cylinder. Booooo.

The 2.4 turbo has more power, gets better mileage, and will perform better at altitude compared to the H-6. I think that's a good change, personally.
I agree the turbo 4 will rock.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m super happy with Subaru Global Platform on my 2019 Forester. Yeah, they are not sexy new designs but the vehicle does everything I want.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The 2.4 turbo has more power, gets better mileage, and will perform better at altitude compared to the H-6. I think that's a good change personally.
Meh..that may be..but that 6 is a gem of an engine, especially when mated to the 5 speed auto box. Time will tell..

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
I just came back from the 2019 NY Auto Show. LOVE the 2020 OBs!! I little sleeker body style. The XT(Onyx) looked better in person than in the pic in the original post. Also like the black accents. Hopefully the XTs will have the brown interior. Also saw in the brochure, the Onyx has a Snow/Dirt and Deep Snow/Mud modes. I wonder if this will be available on other trims. IF these modes are even worth having. All in all, the 2020s are sweet! And as usual, plenty of room in front and rear seats. I just WISH, the Japanese will make a middle ski pass through like the Euro cars, rather than using the 60-40 fold down seats.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hopefully the XTs will have the brown interior.

I believe that I had read the brown interior in the pics is reserved for the Touring models like the Java Brown leather on the 2019's, but we'll see if that's true when all the details are released.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like another solid winner for the Subaru faithful.

I wonder how low in the price range they will bring the turbo engine?

Not sure I'm a fan of the new EyeSight system including a camera aimed at the driver. Need more info.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Really interested in this car as a replacement for my aging Legacy GT wagon. Two things that stand out: the 2.4t will run on Regular, and adjustable thigh extensions for the front seats - a rare and welcomed feature.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For us, it is all about the passenger seat, if that isn't comfortable...we pass.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just been looking at the info on the Subaru of America website. They don't specifically say, but it looks like the Touring model is a fastback rather than a wagon? The roofline in the pic appears to follow the window line, giving a fastback look like the BMW X6. Is this the case, or just a photographer's trick?

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just WISH, the Japanese will make a middle ski pass through like the Euro cars, rather than using the 60-40 fold down seats.
The lack of a ski port or 40-20-40 split seat is a major oversight in a vehicle which (here in Australia, at least) is heavily promoted to skiers.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just been looking at the info on the Subaru of America website. They don't specifically say, but it looks like the Touring model is a fastback rather than a wagon? The roofline in the pic appears to follow the window line, giving a fastback look like the BMW X6. Is this the case, or just a photographer's trick?

Most likely photographers trick, I highly doubt Subaru would create a new body style for an Outback.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about the reliability of the turbo? Does anybody want to keep driving the little 2.4 turbo past 100,000 miles? How about 150,000?