• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NSR: History of Truckee's Jibboom Street in the 1800s

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Interesting and common for the era. Anywhere designated as a "mining district " by the government had legal bordellos as late as the 50's.

If you ever travel through Wallace, ID on I 90stop in at the Brothel Museum. Even my wife found it fascinating. The ladies bought the high school band uniforms, and probably knew a lot about some of the teachers too.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting and common for the era. Anywhere designated as a "mining district " by the government had legal bordellos as late as the 50's.

If you ever travel through Wallace, ID on I 90stop in at the Brothel Museum. Even my wife found it fascinating. The ladies bought the high school band uniforms, and probably knew a lot about some of the teachers too.
The Mustang Ranch has tours hosted by one of the madams.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A few years ago the Nevada Museum of Art had a Tahoe exhibit. The exhibit had displays that ranged from mining to the building of the railroad with use of Chinese labor, the displacement of Indians including the different tribes and how the tribal land has changed over the years, the ski industry, and of course the Donner Party

I was reminded of some of the things that were in the NMA Tahoe Exhibit while reading the story, especially the Chinese, because there was a hint of Chinese Prostitution in the exhibit, but they glossed over it.
From the story in the Sierra Sun:
The 1870 federal census cited 12 “white” prostitutes, such as Nellie Colley, Maggie Smith, Pauline Johnson, and Belle Whitney, in addition to 22 Chinese prostitutes who lived in the nearby Chinatown and was its only female mystique among 400 men.

This image is from the exhibit. Every fortune cookie represents a Chinese person who died laying the railroad.
IMG_2664.JPG

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Pendleton,Oregon underground tour.
Pendleton is a fascinating example of underground living in the past. The tunnels were amazing. Havre Montana is another one that came about for totally different reasons. (Havre in the time of the underground is a part of my family's history, a grandfather from Texas met a grandmother from Minnesota there. Kind of makes you wonder about Grandma and Grandpa. )

Sponsor

Staff online