• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Now this is pond skimming!!!

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Just asking.......is this for real or is it shopped in some way? I’ve watched this video multiple times and the skier’s speed does not appear consistent with what he is doing. He actually appears to slow down half way across then speed back up. Even if that is an illusion, you can’t skim that far without slowing significantly.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just asking.......is this for real or is it shopped in some way? I’ve watched this video multiple times and the skier’s speed does not appear consistent with what he is doing. He actually appears to slow down half way across then speed back up. Even if that is an illusion, you can’t skim that far without slowing significantly.

I agree. Looks edited and faked somehow. Not real.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier

If it's real, then it could be an optical illusion making it look like he gains speed or at least doesn't lose speed.

When he first hits the water, the skier is traveling at an angle towards the camera and is probably going a lot faster than it looks. Up until the camera starts panning to the right, we can see the deceleration.

But once the camera starts to move, the skier's line of travel becomes more and more parallel to the screen, which makes his apparent speed closer and closer to the actual speed. So to the viewer, it looks like he's maintaining a constant speed or even speeding up a little, even though he's actually slowing down, just because the viewing angle is changing.

I bet that, if the camera was set up in a spot where it could catch the whole thing without moving, then it would look more natural.

Last edited:

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
For some real fun you could change the title to "Spring skiing MA request" and move this over to the Ski School forum.

Total back-seat skiing. Needs to stay centered and lift with the toes.

Also, what's the point of skiing water if you're just going to skim over the top of it on fat skis? I'd much rather be in the water than on the water, so I wouldn't use anything bigger than a 160-cm, 65-mm, fully cambered race ski for those conditions.

:D

Last edited:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Its hard to tell. There does appear to be something not quite right (edited at one point). But,......it could just be an illusion as mentioned. It almost looks as though he could be slowed after first hitting of course but then perhaps comes up on top of the water a tad via an adjustment which could allow for a little smoother and tad quicker gliding from that point on. But even then it does look just a tad too long. But again hes coming in with a lot of momentum so Im really not sure...

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
This fotog/videographer thinks it looks totally normal, with no apparent increase in speed.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
I would say real.

He's obviously going warp speed after that straitline. Would think the ski is reactting like it does in powder at a high speed where a small manipulation of his foot pressure is changing his contact point which makes you go faster/slower. He enough speed to backflip the finish so he was flying!! The mountain in the background is probably a few hundred vertical feet which always throws you for an illusion that he's not going as fast as he is.

It doesn't show you the probably 8 takes it took to figure the speed. And the fact he's soaking wet from trying.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
The track he followed going into the pond shows that there were previous attempts, and it looks like there might be some other landing tracks beyond the kicker, as well.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Think of what it's like to water ski. When the boat lets you off at high speed (not as fast as this guy, usually) you can glide along for quite a way before you sink. The surface area of a water ski seems similar to a pair of snow skis, so if you use the proper technique it seems possible to do what this guy did. The thing that surprised me is that he had enough speed to make the back flip at the end.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
He also started out higher up than where the video started. One can see he took a little air off of that crest at the top right after the video started, so he was already moving at a good clip by that point.

Sponsor

Staff online