• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
A lot of passes, eg Ikon Base & some cheaper Vail passes have blackouts this Sat /Sun for MLK.

Note Ikon Base has no blackouts at Winter Park, Copper, or Eldora.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Martin Luther King. U. S. National Holiday this coming Monday.
Oh. But does anyone get off work for it? I don't think banks even close around here!

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh. But does anyone get off work for it? I don't think banks even close around here!

Public schools, banks and my company have it off. Not all companies in my area have it off.
I think there are regional biases at work here. Given that you're more East of me, I'm going to guess you probably get "Good Friday" as a local holiday. That doesn't happen around here.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Public schools, banks and my company have it off. Not all companies in my area have it off.
I think there are regional biases at work here. Given that you're more East of me, I'm going to guess you probably get "Good Friday" as a local holiday. That doesn't happen around here.

I'm on the east coast and I can't remember ever having MLK or Good Friday off... I do know folks that do though, but lots of companies don't.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe. It's a Federal Holiday, though they're off work already but some are working unpaid, Stock Market is closed. And schools have it off.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
PSA for my fellow patrollers.

The routine is I take off my ski boots before bringing in the toboggans. The other day I had started removing my ski boots and was about a quarter way through the ordeal, when my co-patroller asked if we could bring in the toboggans now as she had to leave.

If you've already started the bootectomy, and one of your boots is unbuckled, and your fellow patroller want's to leave in a hurry, do remember to re-buckle that boot, before assisting with the toboggans. Otherwise you may stub your toe as there is nothing keeping the toe off the boot front.
Edit: yes I cut the toe nail yesterday as it looked a little long and I didn't want to make things worse. Apparently I cut it too short on the left side :( and the nail pierced the blood blister.
Warning: You can't unsee what the thumbnail will reveal if you click on it.

Attachments

• 20190117_225118[1].jpg
    20190117_225118[1].jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PSA for my fellow patrollers.

The routine is I take off my ski boots before bringing in the toboggans. The other day I had started removing my dki boots and was about a quarter way through the ordeal, when my co-patroller asked if we could bring in the toboggans now as she had to leave.

If you've already started the bootectomy, and one of your boots is unbuckled, and your fellow patroller want's to leave in a hurry, do remember to re-buckle that boot, before assisting with the toboggans. Otherwise you may stub your toe as there is nothing keeping the toe off the boot front.
Edit: yes I cut the toe nail yesterday as it looked a little long and I didn't want to make things worse. Apparently I cut it too short on the left side :( and the nail pierced the blood blister.
Warning: You can't unsee what the thumbnail will reveal if you click on it.

Ouch! Hope it heals quickly.

Well mine is feeling much better after yesterday's surgery. Can almost flex easily and just a reminder of discomfort.

Last edited:
TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing today was good. [To emulate the wise one above. :-]

After a couple of runs, totally got into the moment and forgot about the pain. It's amazing what higher risk activities can do for your focus. ogsmile

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two weeks plus and counting. Looks like my estimate of losing the toe nail was wrong. After draining the fluid before the last ski trip (MLK), everything looks healthy. This is a first for me. Usually it's dealing with a sensitive nail-less big toe for a month or so as it grows back.

@François Pugh hoping your toe is doing better too.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier

According to my teacher friends it depends on where you live. Large urban centers often take off on MLK but not Presidents day and rural schools often take Presidents day instead of MLK. Not sure if he is full of it or if that is actually true.

Sponsor

Staff online