• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know if this should be in general skiing, new to skiing, infirmary, or chez Ziggy....

Just played tennis in new tennis shoes. Did the dreaded toe jam. Should have waited until after the ski trip and taken some time to break in the new shoes.

Now wondering if my foot will recover enough to ski next weekend (MLK).

Argh.... I should know better.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No telling, but 2 or 3 days will tell you a lot about how it’s healing. I’m guessing it will be fine but still a little sore for about a week. You don’t say which toe you jammed but my experience is the big toe takes the longest to heal.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Once you get it in the boot and your heel jammed into the heel pocket you should be fine. Crank down the lower leg buckle.
It's true, ski boots make pretty good casts. I had a mysterious foot injury one trip. I could barely limp off the airplane, and it was killing me the first ski morning. By the end of the day it felt fine, but started to hurt again after a couple hours out of the boot in the evening. The pattern repeated most of the week, and then whatever it was cleared up on its own.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
If your boots are fit properly your toe shouldn't hit the end of the boot and shouldn't be an issue. On the other hand...bring lots of ibuorophen!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Coach13 yes, big toe, left foot... yes, a couple of days will be telling.... Oh the anticipation...[/QUOTE]

Do you have swelling and a lot of pain extending from your big toe into the ball of the foot? If not I think you will be fine in your boots after a few days. The advil thing is good advice and I’d add ice to the equation as well for a few days.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Coach13 yes, big toe, left foot... yes, a couple of days will be telling.... Oh the anticipation...

Do you have swelling and a lot of pain extending from your big toe into the ball of the foot? If not I think you will be fine in your boots after a few days. The advil thing is good advice and I’d add ice to the equation as well for a few days.[/QUOTE]

Finally had a chance to look at it. I'm probably going to lose the toe nail. The base of the nail is black and blue with slight swelling. This brings back memories of a decade or so ago.

(No, not going to post pictures :)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Don't know if this should be in general skiing, new to skiing, infirmary, or chez Ziggy....

Just played tennis in new tennis shoes. Did the dreaded toe jam. Should have waited until after the ski trip and taken some time to break in the new shoes.

Now wondering if my foot will recover enough to ski next weekend (MLK).

Argh.... I should know better.

:eek::eek::eek: :doh::doh::doh: :huh:

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you spend too much time in the back seat, this could be a blessing. Instant feedback when you don't have your shins pressed into you boot tongues.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you spend too much time in the back seat, this could be a blessing. Instant feedback when you don't have your shins pressed into you boot tongues.
Have you been spying on me?!? ;)

Unfortunately, my skis tended to punish backseat driving. Especially in bumps.

Just reminds me, probably won't be using "lift the toes" or "close the ankles" as driving thoughts.

James

Out There
Instructor
Some choices:
1)Just rent some boots that are bigger.
2) Use your boots, take the liners out but use the footbed and swaddle with cashmere scarves. Substituion of cheaper fabrics is ok but won't feel as good.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have three days of street shoes and the discomfort isn't too bad. It's actually feels better in shoes than out.

Fluid has collected near the base of the nail. The nail feels detached except for the skin that's still holding it.
Just drained the fliud and hoping for the slight swell to go down soon.

Have hopes wearing ski boots will work well.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski boots should be fine- they’re like a cast on your foot. That’s if there’s some room at the front of the toe box (ie tips of toes aren’t jammed in front)

I think so too. Pressure with the big toe is the question now. No big loss likely, due to the expected crowded slopes for the holiday weekend.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
What holiday?

Sponsor

Staff online