• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nostalgia

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
This evening, I grew tired of reviewing CPR protocols for my refresher tomorrow. I looked up the ski area I grew up skiing -- just a few long weekends each year. We'd go up to a borrowed house (my mother's boss and mentor), and I'd ski my brains out. As annoying as I am now about first chair, I was more annoying about is as a kid. Had to get that fresh cord. And once I was 8 or 9, I did double duty every day with a night ski session.

I found the house we stayed in. And some pictures from it's first sale last year since being built 40 years ago. None of the furnishing have changed since we celebrate the new millenium there, 20 years ago.

We all toasted -- including me at 14 -- the new year on those couches. Before going out to ski until 2am.

In the kitchen back behind the dining room, Al Pacino once made me a pasta dinner. I was 10ish and had no idea how cool that was.
24026ef174026058860b1cc035622e58l-m9xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

And the basement. Opposite that couch...which has been there for 30+ years were 3 big screen tvs synced up to their own VHS players. It was the first place I saw Doug Coombs make a turn. We'd watch ski movies until we fell asleep, with the glittering lights of the ski hill just out the windows.
24026ef174026058860b1cc035622e58l-m17xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where is the house, east..west? If you don't mind..if you can share?

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My nostalgia from skiing as kid in the PNW (Snoqualmie, Stevens, etc.):
--30 minute lift lines
--Skiing in the rain (more than once)
--Those bus rides (when we really got lucky and the Greyhound type bus wasn't available and got to ride a school bus)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Beginning in the late 1960s, my Dad rented a Scotty trailer several times from military special/recreation services to take us skiing at Blue Knob, PA. He was brand new to skiing and trailering. Only a neophyte would take a non-winterized trailer to spend a weekend at the 3,100-foot summit parking lot of Blue Knob in the dead of a 1960s winter! We shivered all night, but I still remember those trips with awe and wonder. We were Jean Claude Killys by day and Sir Edmund Hillarys by night.

The Night the Soup Froze, Blue Knob, PA, about 1969 or 70.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Beginning in the late 1960s, my Dad rented a Scotty trailer several times from military special/recreation services to take us skiing at Blue Knob, PA. He was brand new to skiing and trailering. Only a neophyte would take a non-winterized trailer to spend a weekend at the 3,100-foot summit parking lot of Blue Knob in the dead of a 1960s winter! We shivered all night, but I still remember those trips with awe and wonder. We were Jean Claude Killys by day and Sir Edmund Hillarys by night.

The Night the Soup Froze, Blue Knob, PA, about 1969 or 70.

Oh those memorable nights in a cold soaked trailer at Telemark (Cable, WI), and those special times when the LPG ran out. Nobody lost any fingers or toes though. Our family winter trailer adventures were 5 or 6 years earlier 64-65.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Jim Kenney -- thanks for sharing. Exactly the sort of stories I was hoping to spark.

For those who are concerned that my nostalgia is too recent or too luxurious -- don't worry. I spend most of my current ski vacation days sleeping in the back of a minivan :).

Posaune

sliding
Skier
In the early 60s when I was a little nub my parents bought a lot near Skykomish, WA which is about 20 minutes from Stevens Pass. The lot is the last one up a river valley near town and is backed up to Forest Service land; it was and is quite isolated. They built a cabin on the lot (see below) and then bought my older brothers and me skis. We started skiing during winter vacation in 1963. At the time the place was built there was no electricity available to the site.

Fast forward to today and I'm now the owner of the cabin. There is still no electricity. I keep it that way on purpose since there is now a power pole right across the road. I use it to ski several times per season for multiple day stays. It's comfy and warm and very old fashioned. When I visit I can commune with my family in front of a fire and enjoy the stillness. No computers or TV, though I do have a small battery operated sound system. It is a most peaceful place. I'm up there every couple of weeks year round, but winter is my favorite time.

IMG_2749.jpeg

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Posaune -- that cabin is the stuff of dreams. Thanks for sharing. Would love to see some shots of other seasons and maybe the interior. So cool.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In the early 60s when I was a little nub my parents bought a lot near Skykomish, WA which is about 20 minutes from Stevens Pass. The lot is the last one up a river valley near town and is backed up to Forest Service land; it was and is quite isolated. They built a cabin on the lot (see below) and then bought my older brothers and me skis. We started skiing during winter vacation in 1963. At the time the place was built there was no electricity available to the site.

Fast forward to today and I'm now the owner of the cabin. There is still no electricity. I keep it that way on purpose since there is now a power pole right across the road. I use it to ski several times per season for multiple day stays. It's comfy and warm and very old fashioned. When I visit I can commune with my family in front of a fire and enjoy the stillness. No computers or TV, though I do have a small battery operated sound system. It is a most peaceful place. I'm up there every couple of weeks year round, but winter is my favorite time.

View attachment 110281

Very nice! I suspect a lot of us have similar ski memories.

Below is a picture of the ski cabin my folks had built in western PA and owned from approx 1972-87. My dad is to left, notice chains on his car tires. The VW to the right was mine.

In March of 1976 I drove on a solo ten day trip from the Washington DC area to Colorado on my spring break at the University of Maryland. It was my first time skiing out west and an eye-opening experience of the highest order. I visited Winter Park, Vail, and Aspen and skied packed powder under deep blue skies at all three. My magic carpet ride to the Rockies was that 1969 VW Beetle that I slept in several nights on the trip, including once each in the parking lots of Vail and Snowmass.

More memories here.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I don't have any childhood memories so I'll share a 80's one:

During my ski bumming time in CB, CO I shared a condo in this complex with 5 other guys. 6 guys, 1100 sq ft. Great location right near the mountain because they were so outdated the mountain wouldn't let them rent to tourists. Really tight quarters since we usually had a few crashers on the living room floor.

Great memories of payday dinners at Donitas, -20 degree runs from the hot tub, skiing Phoenix bowl on 215 K2's and too many sunny days on Paradise deck to count. I still remember being in short sleeves in the sun the first day I was there and knowing I was hooked on skiing and on CO.

1600274706998.png

Unfortunately no vintage photos left to post, but the outside looks pretty much the same.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
@Posaune -- that cabin is the stuff of dreams. Thanks for sharing. Would love to see some shots of other seasons and maybe the interior. So cool.
Most of my pics of the place were taken to remind myself of maintenance that needed to be done, so they aren't fit for public consumption. I now realize that the ones I have are old pictures and that the interior furnishings have mostly been changed. I'll have to take some more.

Summer (the steps and windows need painting and the front door a coat of sealant, now done):

IMG_0093.jpeg

Fireplace:
fireplace 1.jpeg

Kitchen stove:
kitchen stove.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
These stories are interesting. But I didn't start until I was 20 years old going on bus trips. Skiing in jeans, wool socks, knit cap, leather gloves, nylon jacket, wood skis with screw on edges, bear trap bindings and lace up boots. That is my nostalgia and it may be more common with our members than most would think.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier

Wow, I grew up skiing there, mostly night skiing with my school, and I still think Blue Knob feels like the coldest place on earth.

Sponsor