• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northstar Evac

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got evac from Chair 3 at Lookout Pass ski resort a few years ago. Chair stopped 22min later and being 10 chairs from the top my partner and I were on the snow skiing down. Shoot the rope over the cable, pull up the special pulley, hook up the single chair, run it up to the reg. chairlift and lower it down with a person . 2 patrollers evac the whole chair in a little over an hour. Granted it was not Tahoe full but still you don't call another ski area you do it now - just like you practiced.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
That lift has a sketchy double fall line area under a big section. I can't imagine having to do an evacuation on it.

Procedure is to jettison the skis before being lowered so that you can "land" on whatever the terrain is in your boots.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Procedure is to jettison the skis before being lowered so that you can "land" on whatever the terrain is in your boots.
Our procedure is to jettison the ski poles but not the skis or snowboards. When you lower the evacuee one of the people on the ground rotate them at the very end of the lowering so that their equipment is across the fall line. falling skis and snowboards would just add to the danger of doing an evac.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Wouldn't it be faster and more efficient to jettison the skiers and boarders? Skip the whole 'throwing up a rope' bit...

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Wouldn't it be faster and more efficient to jettison the skiers and boarders? Skip the whole 'throwing up a rope' bit...
Getting down, yes. But might take longer for the people recovery or just wait until spring.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
KW morning.jpg
My younger son, who patrols at KW was sent over to help with the N* evac.

Lots of driving for little benefit.

Sponsor

Staff online