• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
We got six inches last night and more is coming.
There is going to be a warm up over the weekend but then it looks good for snowmaking.
Ben, the new General Manager at Nubs is optimistic for a Thanksgiving opening.
I'm guessing a 50% probability of decent skiing in Northern Lower Michigan for Thanksgiving Nubs 11-9-17.jpg

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is going to be a warm up over the weekend but then it looks good for snowmaking.
I'm guessing a 50% probability of decent skiing in Northern Lower Michigan for Thanksgiving View attachment 32845
They must have been really busy these last few days. I swear it was just earlier this week I checked the webcam and didn't see a thing!

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I'm guessing a 50% probability of decent skiing in Northern Lower Michigan for Thanksgiving View attachment 32845

Been a long time since I skied in Michigan, brings back some great memories! Cool to see it again (at least here) thanks for the pictures!

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Looks like Nubs will be able to run full bore for the next 20-24 hours and a few more at reduced capacity.

Saw a news spot on last night where Highlands was bragging about their low E guns. While I dig using less energy, they still don't atomize well and produce anything like nubs does.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Pine Knob and Mt. Holly will be opening at noon Saturday 11/11/2017.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Pine Knob and Mt. Holly will be opening at noon Saturday 11/11/2017.

Pine Knob! I remember as a kid having to make linked parallel turns down "The Wall" (circa 1972) to get my Black Diamond Patch, of which I was immensely proud!

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Pine Knob! I remember as a kid having to make linked parallel turns down "The Wall" (circa 1972) to get my Black Diamond Patch, of which I was immensely proud!

That is still one of the requirements in obtaining a black patch. You must also ski the mogul run in control and ski short-swing.

Karl

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier

First time skiing was at Pine Knob back in '73. A few years later I had to download from the lift via wooden plank and rope when the power went out and generators wouldn't come on.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Would be nice to see those places have a good season. From what I've heard, it's been fairly lean the last few years. My Dad and I would drive up north a half dozen times a winter to ski Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands and Nubs Nob. We always like Nubs the best, but more often than not found ourselves at Boyne Mountain.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Cold snap happening, if the forecast holds, guns will fire this morning and remain on at most resorts for days to come. Add in some lake effect and we'll likely see northern Michigan resorts 100% open by next weekend.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
It's on! Lots of lake effect, cold temps, snow guns blowing a man made storm.

Nubs and crystal will be open full time starting Thursday, expect boynes to follow suit and potentially schuss.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Boyne Mountain is open seven days a week now but with only two lifts and minimal terrain, lots more in the pipeline. Guns blazing and huge lake effect happening from Schuss down to Crystal and Caberfae, this weekend should be close to mid-season conditions at Nubs and Cab.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
After some serious rain and melt, we have one more warm up on the way and plenty of cold days ahead. No fresh available, but groomer skis are a blast right now.

FYI, Boyne Mountain is $25 on Liftopia for Superbowl Sunday and Boyne Highlands is four for one. Great deals for hitting Boyne on a weekend.

Sponsor