• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was hiking in southern New Hampshire this past weekend and the foliage was juuussstttt starting. Basically made me think that Columbus Day weekend -- the "usual" high tide in the White Mountain region -- is going to be high tide again.

A lot of people go for the soaring above tree line views -- i.e., the Franconia Ridge traverse, Mt. Washington, etc. I've done that, but in my experience, you're so high above the colors that the experience is muted until you get back down into the trees. One of my most enjoyable foliage hikes was just a long walk along the river.

Hiking up Mt. Hancock off Kancamangus gives you the best of both worlds. The viewing areas are small so it's not an extremely busy trail. There are some small fish in the river and a mini flume on the south side that should be kicking. Both peaks have some short steep sections. Parking on the Kanc could be tough.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Hiking up Mt. Hancock off Kancamangus gives you the best of both worlds. The viewing areas are small so it's not an extremely busy trail. There are some small fish in the river and a mini flume on the south side that should be kicking. Both peaks have some short steep sections. Parking on the Kanc could be tough.

There is a New Hampshire hiking list known as the Terrifying 25 -- the 25 scariest hiking trails in New Hampshire. (For the record, 16 down, 9 to go for me!) I've seen the Hancock loop jokingly get suggested for inclusion (the Terrifying 26?) because it involves crossing the Kancamagus Highway -- twice. :eek:

I did that one in the fall many years ago... the viewing areas were socked in by the clouds, so didn't see any views, but the long walks in the valley are nice for foliage.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
@epic Perhaps she did but I can attest we do Get Blazing Colors.. this is from a couple yrs ago taken from my deck.no filters, no nothing actually a cheap camera.. This year My leaves are a week behind 1hr North of me but we get spectacular colors without adding anything to the camera sadly A bit blurry.. cheers
12938274_10207524246175722_378023772193703962_n.jpg

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier

I think so, Our local weather dart thrower says it's peak up North.
This First weekend in Oct to me is always the best for leaves in ADK's after this the rain comes and knocks them down by Columbus day there are leaves but many on the ground. I would think from Indian Lake North to Lake Placid (and beyond) will be Spectacular this week/weekend. I'm South and 1200ft Elevation, the next few days is supposed to be warm and I'm thinking ours will 'pop" this weekend too.. Happy Leaf Peeping!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heading up to Sunape NH this weekend. Planning to doing some hiking and mountain biking in addition to our friend's annual cider pressing party. Looks like Saturday and Sunday are going to be perfect weather for it. Hoping to get some good peeping in! Guess I will have to bring my camera.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We should be in South Londonderry for most of the week end also. Trying to get the house ship shape for the winter.
Haven't really skied the NE for almost a decade. Looking forward to spend sometime in the NE during the coming season with the Ikon pass.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Colors are really starting to show up here in the Stowe area. Another couple days and we should be in full leaf peeper season. The tour buses are already slowing down travel up here.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
For very selfish reasons I'm stoked for pretty leaves because I have a purty new orange car that would look lovely with a backdrop of gorgeous fall foliage. Hopefully soon.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@epic Perhaps she did but I can attest we do Get Blazing Colors.. this is from a couple yrs ago taken from my deck.no filters, no nothing actually a cheap camera.. This year My leaves are a week behind 1hr North of me but we get spectacular colors without adding anything to the camera sadly A bit blurry.. cheers
12938274_10207524246175722_378023772193703962_n.jpg

I'm a New Englander, but I have to say that the Adirondacks have the most spectacular color, on average.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a New Englander, but I have to say that the Adirondacks have the most spectacular color, on average.

Wonder what causes that. Types and size of trees, soil, climate?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some nice reds here in VT today. In some ways this is the nicest time. Mostly green, tinged with yellow and those few show-oaf red trees. By the time it goes all gold and orange the reds are on the ground.
I agree. The early stage when a few bright reds pop from the surrounding green is my favorite.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
It's really nice viewing here in S Vt today.
Crisp blue sky set off the flaming leaves in a very good way. The roadways were busy. Too busy.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Lincoln/Franconia Notch (New Hampshire) was full-on color today. There is still a slight twinge of green in all those yellow, orange, and read leaves. My guess is Monday will be tops for color intensity, then it's down onto the ground they go.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
SVT needs a few more days. Perhaps even a week.

Sponsor

Staff online