• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just drove down from SVT yesterday. Was up there for a few days. Haven't noticed much. Maybe further north,

Generally, SVT peaks around Columbus Day weekend. Columbus Day is running a bit early this year.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Started down my way. Gonna be a weird year I think, it’s been so wet. Seems to me a lot are just turning brown and falling not much color

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
In central NH - very little here yet, just starting to show, at least a week late. We have family visiting from the UK and they've been driving around some - through the Lakes Region, up through Franconia Notch, over to Bethlehem, and back down the CT Valley a couple of days ago. A little better in the higher elevations, but still slow. They''ll be on the Kank today and will bring a report. . .

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think the foliage is at least a week late. It's been super dry up here in NVT, and they are saying that could lead to great foliage this year.

scott43

Skier
Thanksgiving here next weekend. Traditional cottage close-up weekend and usually prime colour. Trees up in Muskoka/Algonquin are just starting. Couple of frosts should get them going this weekend. I'd say 15-20% right now.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Some nice reds here in VT today. In some ways this is the nicest time. Mostly green, tinged with yellow and those few show-oaf red trees. By the time it goes all gold and orange the reds are on the ground.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With a 30% chance of rain this coming weekend, maybe wait another week. But a few good windy days and you'll miss out. My parents were in Burlington on Sunday and they said it was not optimal.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
It seems like NVT is really picking up steam today. I bet it's full-on by the weekend.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
That's my guess. Just looking out the window right now there is quite a bit of color. Grant you I am way far North, I am looking at Jay Peak right now.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can anyone in the Catskills region (New York) report? I’m thinking of going on an overnight backpacking trip around Woodstock/Phoenicia and it would be awesome to time it around the leaves. A couple years ago we went about a week too early and that was mid October.

Thanks in advance

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can anyone in the Catskills region (New York) report? I’m thinking of going on an overnight backpacking trip around Woodstock/Phoenicia and it would be awesome to time it around the leaves. A couple years ago we went about a week too early and that was mid October.

Thanks in advance
It was barely starting when I was up there this past weekend.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I was hiking in southern New Hampshire this past weekend and the foliage was juuussstttt starting. Basically made me think that Columbus Day weekend -- the "usual" high tide in the White Mountain region -- is going to be high tide again.

A lot of people go for the soaring above tree line views -- i.e., the Franconia Ridge traverse, Mt. Washington, etc. I've done that, but in my experience, you're so high above the colors that the experience is muted until you get back down into the trees. One of my most enjoyable foliage hikes was just a long walk along the river.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
A lot of people go for the soaring above tree line views -- i.e., the Franconia Ridge traverse, Mt. Washington, etc. I've done that, but in my experience, you're so high above the colors that the experience is muted until you get back down into the trees. One of my most enjoyable foliage hikes was just a long walk along the river.
I beg to differ.

Many of the trails to the high ridges are beliw tree line most of the way. One gets the best of both worlds. Hiking IN the colorful trees going up, with a climax of a sweeping view at the top!

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Cedar River Flow NY today photo by Lisa Young:
43027884_10205977008462356_841464215901306880_o.jpg

Sponsor