• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordica Navigator 90 vs. Black Crows Captis

MarkEss

Booting up
Skier
How do the Nordica Navigator 90 and Black Crows Captis compare?

I demo’d the Navi 90 this winter and really liked how they worked for me. Forgiving in the bumps, easy in the trees and held a good edge on the groomers. I preferred it over the Enforcer 93 and 100, mostly due to how they performed in the bumps.

I was previously on a Kastle FX94 (176) and enjoyed their versatility, but time to try something new in the 90 +/- range.

I have been looking for a deal on the Navi 90 179, but the Captis have appeared on the radar now, too.

The Captis sounds like the Navi 90 and was curious if anyone can compare and contrast the two.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I demo’d the Navi 90 this winter and really liked how they worked for me. Forgiving in the bumps, easy in the trees and held a good edge on the groomers. I preferred it over the Enforcer 93 and 100, mostly due to how they performed in the bumps.

I was previously on a Kastle FX94 (176) and enjoyed their versatility, but time to try something new in the 90 +/- range.

I have been looking for a deal on the Navi 90 179, but the Captis have appeared on the radar now, too.

The Captis sounds like the Navi 90 and was curious if anyone can compare and contrast the two.

I own the Captis (in a 178) and demoed the Navigator 85 in a 170. So, granted, it wasn’t the Navigator 90, and was a tad short at 170, but *maybe* I could make some comparisons to help a bit .

The Captis is a forgiving, playful ski that is easy in bumps and trees, and very competent on groomers. It isn’t a carving ski, nor was it designed to be. But I’ve always felt secure tipping them on edge, even over patches of boilerplate. They really like to play around on soft snow, but on the groomer-only days when Ive taken them out I’ve had fun.

I didn’t like the Navigator 85. Although it held a strong edge in a carve, it just felt “off” to me. Perhaps it was the shorter length, although I’ve adjusted to other shorter skis much more quickly. It didn’t seem as playful as my Black Crows. A little stiffer. Harder to find the sweet spot. Maybe there was a tune issue with them. At any rate, I was happy to return them and get back on my Black Crows.

So, since you enjoyed the Navigator, maybe you should go for those if you find a deal. I bought my Captis undemoed and was happy. If you want a playful bump and tree ski, the Captis does that while holding its own on groomers. But you would be buying undemoed vs something youve tried and liked. I have done that several time with good results. But it’s not for everyone.

TS
MarkEss

MarkEss

Booting up
Skier
Thank you for providing your impression of the Captis @Wendy . I had read your other posts as well :thumb: @MountainMonster ad prompted the question.

I am about 50/50 on buying ski’s un-demoed, making a purchase based on reviews. I enjoy and appreciate the time others take to provide their feedback and imagine how that fits my style. I had my mind set on the Navi 90’s, but it’s hard to go wrong on those Captis.

James

Out There
Instructor
Where are you located? There's a shop in Killington you could demo Black Crows Captis plus they're on sale now along with lots of other skis.
http://www.forerunnerskishop.com/
You have to call and talk to Brian. He's got lots of stuff on sale now.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I think they are very different skis. The Captis does have camber but its more of a fun twintip with a mounting point quite a bit towards the center.

The Navi 90 is more of a traditional all mountain ski. If you demoed and you liked it, look no further. That is your ski. Well, for now. :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where are you located? There's a shop in Killington you could demo Black Crows Captis plus they're on sale now along with lots of other skis.
Is Brian the owner's son? I chatted with him when I stopped in there time.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I’ve demoed skis from these guys. They were very helpful.

But I think @MarkEss is in Colorado...the Palmer Lake I’m familiar with is near Monument, south of Denver. ogsmile So he’s closer to @MountainMonster than Vermont.

Last edited:
TS
MarkEss

MarkEss

Booting up
Skier
I’ve demoed skis from these guys. They were very helpful.

But I think @MarkEss is in Colorado...the Palmer Lake I’m familiar with is near Monument, south of Denver. ogsmile So he’s closer to @MountainMonster than Vermont.

Right, I am in Colorado. Vermont is a ways away and I don’t think I’ll be making it out there for a demo. ;)

TS
MarkEss

MarkEss

Booting up
Skier
I think they are very different skis. The Captis does have camber but its more of a fun twintip with a mounting point quite a bit towards the center.

The Navi 90 is more of a traditional all mountain ski. If you demoed and you liked it, look no further. That is your ski. Well, for now. :D

Thanks for the advice @Ken_R. :beercheer:
I was beginning to lean that way and should probably go with what I know works.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I don't know.....that captis is a pretty bad ass ski...
Just sayin' :yahoo:

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier

I had a similar experience when demo'ing the Enforcer 93 and Navigator 90. In the trees, bumps and tight spaces, I preferred the Navi 90. In terms of stability and crud, they didn't lose enough in performance compared to the Enforcer 93 to outweigh what they gained elsewhere. Now about that green color ... :D

TS
MarkEss

MarkEss

Booting up
Skier
Now about that green color ... :D

Is the 18/19 Orange better? :D
0A809000001_NAVIGATOR_90_FLAT_636572393059771797.jpg

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I've got no firm ground to stand on with respect to topsheets ... considering I owned the Head Rock 'n Roll that had one of the least liked topsheets in my skiing history!