• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordica HF110?!

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I just posted this on Phil's original preview article, bit thought it might get overlooked there, so ... (Mods - feel free to delete one of the posts if the redundancy is a problem.)

I am very intrigued by these boots!

I'll be 72 by ski season. I'm an advanced skier who happily skis in the Northeast mostly on groomed easy blacks. I'm 5'7" and weigh 155 lbs (down 10 from when the pandemic hit). My skis are Atomic Vantage X-83 CTi @ 168cm, and my boots are Head Vector 115's. I like the boots alot - 102mm last, quite comfortable, reasonably warm, and are a great match with my skis performance-wise. They're not any harder than other 4-buckle boots to put on and take off, but it's still a PITA. I can give them to my son who really needs new boots and can't really afford them.

So, I'm going to try a pair of these new Nordicas if available when I take my skis to be tuned soon. I'd get the heated version.

But I'm concerned that they won't be stiff enough forward-flex-wise. and I don't see how I'll be able to evaluate that accurately by just walking around the shop in them. So:
1. Do you think Nordica will unveil a higher-flex (i.e., 120) version soon?
2. Is there a way to add stiffness - perhaps an aftermarket booster strap?

Thanks!

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
You mentioned that you're going to give these boots a try. I'd love to hear a review on them once you've gotten a few days in them.

You seem very concerned about the rear entry boot's stiffness. Won't just getting the boots out in the cold add some stiffness over how they feel in the shop?

Nordica's advertising lists the HF110 as a "performance-oriented recreational" boot. You sound like part of the target demographics.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is my preview of the Nordica HF110...

First, do I expect a stiffer version? No, I don't ecpect a 130 or 120 which is usually a detuned 130 or slightly changed 110, either way it is just a filler for pricing structure, discussed HERE. Nth degree performance isn't the market for a rear entry boot, we went down that road in the past and it didn't work. Now, can the HF110 be made stiffer? I beleive it can. On the pair that I had as a test pair, the V in the front of the boot flexed open as I pressured into a turn, I took a rear spoiler and used a screw snug that area and that did make the boot noticeably (if not significantly) stiffer, it also took some volume for my skinny chicken leg.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
i agree with Phil, there won't be a stiffer version of this boot released, the HF is there to fill a market, to keep people skiing who through various reasons are either unable to or unwilling to get a 4 clip boot on their foot, think arthritis sufferers, or an older skier who really just wants to ski with the family but is tired of the battle in the morning to put their boots on. as for stiffening it, again agree with Phil, you can insert a plate into the front to add a bit of structure, but also remember that boots don't need to be really stiff in forward flexion if you are not looking to squeeze the performance, lateral stability is so much more important. the other thing i would recommend is Don't buy the heated one!! get the standard one and add an aftermarket heating system, this way if anything fails it is a simple element or battery replacement, if the boot with the integral heating system fails then it is much more difficult to get it fixed if even possible especially if it is a few years down the line.

all in all its a great option for some people, it is not a solution for others, and as long as people understand that they will be fine, it certainly skis better than i expected, the liner is the same great quality that they use in their speed machine/ pro machine boots.

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Thanks for the replies and advice. I will try them on if I get the opportunity, but I really like the Head Vector 115's I already have. So, under the mantra of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," we'll see ...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't buy the heated one!! get the standard one and add an aftermarket heating system, this way if anything fails it is a simple element or battery replacement, if the boot with the integral heating system fails then it is much more difficult to get it fixed if even possible especially if it is a few years down the line.
I wouldn't completely dismiss the heated version. Thermic is making the heating element and they have been pretty darn reliable. If it is like the other the heated liners Themic is making, the heating element is on the top of the toe box, so if you have serious heating needs like Raynauds Syndrom, you can even add the aftermarket to the footbed for ultimate warmth.

Both systems will have remote app access that works quite well.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
I wouldn't completely dismiss the heated version. Thermic is making the heating element and they have been pretty darn reliable. If it is like the other the heated liners Themic is making, the heating element is on the top of the toe box, so if you have serious heating needs like Raynauds Syndrom, you can even add the aftermarket to the footbed for ultimate warmth.

Both systems will have remote app access that works quite well.

maybe we got some duff ones