• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Nordica Fire Arrow 84 EDT

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dies the EDT not have some small early rise in the tip? I've seen reviews mention that.
Marketing Rocker, it might say there is rocker, there isn't

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only way these comes is with bindings. I do know a guy...(famous last words in getting a deal) who took the bindings off and mounted them tele.

And a very happy guy he is, too!

Wow - the without bindings sale is just weird. Unless they heard about the one crazy free-heeler and thought it was the initial ripple in a Tsunami of EDT sans binding demand. Didn't know they were monitoring me so closely.

DocMartin

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Sorry to necrobump. How does the Ti version of this compare to the EDT? I presume the difference is that the Ti has a titanium plate while the EDT has a carbon plate?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
EDT has both Titanal in the layup and a carbon plate.

James

Out There
Instructor
The carbon plate is like a turbo. Once the ski is flexing it comes into play. If one nevet bends the ski much the whole thing is a waste.
The FA 84 edt evo was not a stiff ski, but once bent had the power of a stiff ski. Lots of people got it and didn't like it for whatever reason, so they ended up on the reselling market at well less than half cost. It became somewhat of a cult ski. It was if not the, close to the most expensive ski Nordica made at the time.

Note that there is no "titanium plate" or any titanium in any ski afaik. Certainly not the FA.
Titanal is an aluminum alloy made by AMAG, an Austrian company. It contains no titanium.

Read up on it so the next time you're in a ski shop...
https://www.amag.at/fileadmin/user_...uReport/EN/AR-2009-3-EN-AR_3_09_EN_Sports.pdf

DocMartin

Skier
The carbon plate is like a turbo. Once the ski is flexing it comes into play. If one nevet bends the ski much the whole thing is a waste.
The FA 84 edt evo was not a stiff ski, but once bent had the power of a stiff ski. Lots of people got it and didn't like it for whatever reason, so they ended up on the reselling market at well less than half cost. It became somewhat of a cult ski. It was if not the, close to the most expensive ski Nordica made at the time.

Note that there is no "titanium plate" or any titanium in any ski afaik. Certainly not the FA.
Titanal is an aluminum alloy made by AMAG, an Austrian company. It contains no titanium.

Read up on it so the next time you're in a ski shop...
https://www.amag.at/fileadmin/user_...uReport/EN/AR-2009-3-EN-AR_3_09_EN_Sports.pdf

Thanks! Any chance you've skied on the 76 TI as well, and remember how they compared? I'm especially interested in how easily they flexed, among other things.

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks! Any chance you've skied on the 76 TI as well, and remember how they compared? I'm especially interested in how easily they flexed, among other things.
No. At this point just get whatever. It wouldn't surprise me if the edt was actually softer since it has the reserve power on top. The "turbo" effect is not off/on but very smooth.

If you find a 176 FA 84 edt evo, send it to me and I'll make sure it's ok. Testing it would involve at least 7 days on snow as I'd want to be sure it's ok. There's no charge for this service. I suppose I could test the 76, but have little enthusiasm for it. That service costs $1 per day.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you find a 176 FA 84 edt evo, send it to me and I'll make sure it's ok. Testing it would involve at least 7 days on snow as I'd want to be sure it's ok. There's no charge for this service. I suppose I could test the 76, but have little enthusiasm for it. That service costs $1 per day.

:roflmao:

hrbngr

Skier
Hello,

Sorry to further necro this thread, but would those of you that have skied the FA 84 EDT hold the FA 74 EDT in similar regards? This is the only decent firearrow thread that I have found since the epicski forums shuttered. I do like my pair of FA 74 EDTs purchased in '12 from Starthaus--thanks for the advice Phil!!, but I am not certain of the ideal conditions for the ski--?icy/very groomed days?. I ski primarily in lower PA, with maybe a trip up north to VT/NY every now and then. I have some older demo MX88s that I have been meaning to sell--would like to try the MX89s and a pair Stockli Stormrider VXLs, along w/a 4FRNT Devastator for Crud (too heavy). I do know that I have to be careful on the FA 74s and the VXL as their need for speed tends to limit them on crowded weekends.

I feel like these skis are all so focused and that it might be good to find something a little more versatile and less demanding as well as taking advantage of some newer designs and tech in the last few years.

Basically, is it worth keeping around or not?

edit: 6', 225lbs, terminal advanced skier due to lack of exercise and location -- NoVA

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I wasn't aware they made a fa 74 edt evo. It has the carbon plate on the top surface?
These things are all individual. If it's not making you happy, sell it. Same with the VXL. Another ski highly regarded in it's day. Don't keep waiting as the value is only plummeting as the years go by.

hrbngr

Skier
James,

Yep, it has the carbon plate. Here is a decent link to some pics/specs: https://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/nordica-firearrow-74-edt---n-pro-xbi-ct/32796/p
Sidecut: 126-74-109 Sizes: 172-180; Radius: 14,5m / 16m

The FA is amazing on icy groomers--literally on rails. The VXL is more all mountain, high speed GS, but both don't do well on warmer, mushy snow with smallish bumps and lots of wet snow that accumulate on top of them. The Devastator was supposed to fit the bill here, but not impressed so far.

If you all were to say that, similar to the the FA 84 EDT, you still can't get a much better ski today for packed/groomed/icy conditions, then it's worth keeping. The local shops here don't really have a lot of high end demos to compare, would just like to confirm that the FA 74 still holds up.

James

Out There
Instructor
Ohh I like that it has a round tip.
I think there's a lot of choices today that would be more versatile for you in that role.

Sponsor

Staff online