• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Nordica Fire Arrow 84 EDT

TS
Gerry Rhoades

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I think it will be a better ski for more people out for the select few who appreciated the power of the FA EDT, the top 5%ers lost an exceptional ski.
From a business standpoint this makes sense. Why sell something that appeals to a tiny fraction of potential users? I'm glad they gave it a new name.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The FA EDT was a halo ski for Nordica but I am not sure it did it's job. A halo product should create sales for the rest of the product line and I cannot say if the FA EDT did that. There was no doubt it was, and still is, an amazing product and I would never turn down a chance to get on it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well it would be nice if they wouldn't just abandon the edt evo technology. To make it more versatile there's some tweaks that could be made. Get rid of the blunt tip even if Hans or Mario at the factory goes crazy. Tailor the lengths. Possibly play with the flex/sidecut a little. A little.

Overall make it more versatile- like an MX83, but keep the flat out craziness that blows doors on the MX83. I get that might not be easy, but what the hell? What we fear is they'll just come out with a decent Zombie ski that's just bleh. Like some of the Nrgy's.

What I just don't get is why so many call it a stiff ski. It's really not. But it does have the turbo on it.

Possibly when all these end up near dumpsters we'l take off the edt stuff and mount it to MX 83's. Except Kastle screwed up their sizeing. So we'll only get to have the 183 mx mounted with the 184 FA edt gear. Talk about a beast!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well it would be nice if they wouldn't just abandon the edt evo technology. To make it more versatile there's some tweaks that could be made. Get rid of the blunt tip even if Hans or Mario at the factory goes crazy. Tailor the lengths. Possibly play with the flex/sidecut a little. A little.

Overall make it more versatile- like an MX83, but keep the flat out craziness that blows doors on the MX83. I get that might not be easy, but what the hell? What we fear is they'll just come out with a decent Zombie ski that's just bleh. Like some of the Nrgy's.

What I just don't get is why so many call it a stiff ski. It's really not. But it does have the turbo on it.

Possibly when all these end up near dumpsters we'l take off the edt stuff and mount it to MX 83's. Except Kastle screwed up their sizeing. So we'll only get to have the 183 mx mounted with the 184 FA edt gear. Talk about a beast!
I think we will see new sizing with Kastle in the MX's next year. I think it was a pretty stiff but on the plus side, it was unforgiving. I do think there were plenty of skis that did 90% of what the FA EDT did, but it was that other 10% that made it oh so special. :drool:

James

Out There
Instructor
Wait, Kastle will change their sizing??

Only taken them what 6 years? In that time they made molds for like a dozen other skis at least. Half of which probably hardly sold. Park? But maybe they do well outside NA.
Possibly they're run by VW's board. Could care less about NA wants until it costs them.

TS
Gerry Rhoades

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Wait whaaa EDT goes away fer good?
I could be wrong but I think that's correct. I don't recall seeing those three magic letters in the image we got from Nordica. Yup, pretty disappointing.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Now down to $410 at STP wit $0.99 shipping...hurry. PM me if you need a code.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm going to hold my angst until I have actually skied it.
Yep, Nordica is making a damn fine ski and I trust what they are doing. While the new series might not be as good as the FireArrows..they might end up being better. Oh, they are still using the same system binding which is a zero ramp angle.

James

Out There
Instructor
Be careful to order the ones that say they include bindings. The other pair do not. $40 more for bindings.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Be careful to order the ones that say they include bindings. The other pair do not. $40 more for bindings.

Yep -- be careful about that. However I'm still showing $410 in my cart for the ones with clamps. If I was strong enough to ski them I'd pull the trigger.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The only way these comes is with bindings. I do know a guy...(famous last words in getting a deal) who took the bindings off and mounted them tele.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
STP appears to have gotten some stock that have the plates but not the binding pieces that they're selling for $100 less.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/nordica-13-firearrow-84-edt-alpine-skis-2nd~p~9688v/?filterString=alpine-skis~d~7063/&colorFamily=01
You can't buy a binding for these?!?!?! These need to be $299 to to make it worth it. :doh:

People are going to buy these, go into shops and expect to buy a binding...they will then get pissed at the STP AND the shop.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Well, I have my second pair of mint 176cm's about ready to sell. My son's GF's. Both of them are coaches. Like the pair of my daughter's that I earlier sold, they're just not what a 135lb woman wants as an everyday ski. Even though she was one of the top ranked juniors in the world, pre-college, the ski is for her very one dimensional. She'll admit that it's perfect at that one dimension, though. She just doesn't want to ski them that way. If she were a bigger guy, the ski would be a lot more versatile for her.

I'm not listing them now, with STP dumping this stock, as the asking price would look high, despite the prep work, etc. Interesting to see this STP sale. The binding thing is confusing. I wonder if some of these are left over stock that is "binding-less", due to the bindings have left the warehouse to deal with some warranty issues. I've seen a couple of minor failures on the bindings….broken brakes, etc. Nothing serious. It's a pretty darn good binding.

Agree with Phil, if the ski comes without the system binding, one needs some thinking in terms of the setup. Obviously a good binding, and probably a plate.

STP doing a great job for the consumer with this sale. Not exactly helping my son's GF raise some more $$ to help with grad school expenses! Yikes.

Very misunderstood ski. Nordica built a tremendous ski, but absolutely flatlined in the marketing, and overall "execution" with it. If it had been built in a 180ish length, or if the 184 skied more like the 176cm, I'd probably own two pairs of these. At 205 lbs, where I tend to ski, I'm between sizes. The 184cm has never done a thing for me. It's not just a length thing. I have a couple of pairs of 35M 195-196cm GS skis that have actually been through a WC starting gate. The 184cm FA is a very different ski than a 176cm. I'm actually surprised that STP only has the most popular and "best" performing size, IMO, the 176cm. Obviously for a smaller guy or a skilled woman, the 169cm can be a great choice, too.

James is 100% accurate in the references to it being a cult ski. Think it will be destined for that.

TS
Gerry Rhoades

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
That's less than I paid last season with my Nordica employee discount.:eek:

The only way these comes is with bindings. I do know a guy...(famous last words in getting a deal) who took the bindings off and mounted them tele.
That should be illegal.:doh:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I chatted with one of their CS rep suggesting they at least add a disclaimer or some such thing. Who knows if they will.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
I ski with a guy who's never liked the Kastle Mx83. "They lack ponew Volkl RTM 86p". But he liked those Blizzard X Power 8's. Whereas I really like the Mx83 but dislike the X Power8. But I like the feel of a laminate style construction in generalp.

And it seems someone down here is selling a pair of the 84 EDT in 176. I'm a 210lb guy who skis on hardpack and ice a lot hereabouts. I own (and love) the MX78 in 184, although it's a cruisey ride. I've demoed a lot of skis (just lots) in recent years, but very few of them have been Nordica carvers. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm expecting the 84s to be along the lines of the new Volkl RTM86, which is a lot of ski, a bit of a handful, and a ski which makes you clean up your game and learn to ski properly all over again.

Is that far from the mark?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And it seems someone down here is selling a pair of the 84 EDT in 176. I'm a 210lb guy who skis on hardpack and ice a lot hereabouts. I own (and love) the MX78 in 184, although it's a cruisey ride. I've demoed a lot of skis (just lots) in recent years, but very few of them have been Nordica carvers. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm expecting the 84s to be along the lines of the new Volkl RTM86, which is a lot of ski, a bit of a handful, and a ski which makes you clean up your game and learn to ski properly all over again.

Is that far from the mark?
The EDT is a fully cambered ski compared to the RTM 86 which has some rise in the tip and tail, this alome makes the EDT much more tenacious. The snub nose of the EDT that is derived from their GS skis does limit some of the versatility in mixed conditions, it can just plow into soft snow where the RTM will rise. But yeah, it can be a handful but a fun ski to have.

Sponsor