• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordica enforcer 100 - feel a bit hooky

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
I hope the tune helps. I love the Enforcer 100 and 110, the 110 is now my larger ski in a 2-ski quiver along with an 88 waist ski. My favorite thing about the 100 and 110 is that even though they do extremely well in the off-piste and blast through crud and float on powder, they're still great carvers and are really fun on groomers (and I say this as someone who has spent more days on race skis than any other type of ski, though I'll admit I was a very mediocre racer). It's the versatility where they truly shine. You can find skis that are better on or off-piste, but in my limited experience I haven't skied anything that's quite been able to do both so well. When I go out West, the 110 is the only ski I bring now. It might sound silly, but I could still have fun carving packed powder on groomers all day with the 110.

Good to hear. I now own both the 100 and 110 and plan on taking the 110 on my Western trip this year. If it carves as well as every one is saying, I may just sell the 100.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have a fair amount of experience with both the Explorer {93, 100, and Pro} and the Bonafide {the first three generations}. Explorers are 193cm, and the Pro is a 191cm. Bonafides all 187cm. I'm fortunate to have these either handed to me, or given to me by our son or daughter. They have been affiliated with both companies.

We always "set up" our new skis. Have the bases ground flat, and structured, and have the base and edge bevels set. I say "we" as both our son and daughter have been on the Explorer since it it was in prototype. My son goes through a couple of pairs in a calendar year. I would not say that they are any worse than a number of skis when they come out of the wrapper, but every pair of ours {that I know of} has had some at least issues to correct. Railed bases are common. Some minor cupping on one pair. Our son has somebody who normally selects very good looking skis from the warehouse before they ship.....but they all need to be setup. IME, any ski should be carefully looked at and I can’t imagine not starting out with them “right.”

The Enforcer is a different skiing ski than a Bonafide, particularly the early Bonafide generations, and the first generation of the carbon tipped ski. I loved the way the Bonafide skied when it first came out, and still do. Don't love the newer ones quite as much despite the wider sweet spot. Yes, it has a slightly larger radius, but both the Enforcer 100 and Bonafide can be bent into different turn shapes. I don't think the difference that the OP noticed is attributable to the radius. Might be a good example of why so much more comes into play than waist size and radius when thinking about skis. Like the actual shape, tip and tail profile, the amount of rocker, tail rise, the layup, etc.

The Enforcer 100, in my experience{for me}is more playful, easier to bend into those tighter shapes, more friendly in a bit deeper snow, and though I hate to ski bumps, they are more forgiving there. The Bonafides tend to be a stronger ski in chopped up and cruddy stuff. More of a freight train. Despite the tip flap, I find the Bonafides to have been better at a higher speed. Pretty good ski on wide open groomers for a 98mm ski. Of course they were one of the first in the category, and so many other good skis have come out since. Neither would be my first choice on real firm groomers, BTW.

What generation {what year, topsheets?} are your Bonafides. I don't know many who would describe the Bonafide as being easier to ski, so that sort of surprises me. Of course the Bonafide has really good skiers who have never warmed up to it from it's introduction, at all. I joke with some folks here that I'm a bit of a contrarian. But, the thought that the Enforcers were giving you a hard time, versus the Bonafides makes me think that something is not not right. It's a different ski, different shape with a similar layup, but IMO, should be more friendly.

So having it tuned makes sense. Stan and Dan will be fine for that job.

I wouldn't be concerned or overthinking with respect to the mounting point. People ski them on the line, behind the line...and even some ahead of the line. I honestly don't even know exactly where mine have been mounted. Pretty sure they are mounted on the line. Not with me so I can’t check.

I won't confuse things by comparing 100 to the 93, which is, IMO also a really great ski.

I would start by having them looked at and having the appropriate base and edge set up done. Bet you’ll feel a substantial difference.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@frank dahlmeyer I had a similar experience with My Enforcer 100 185-s and this thread brought back those memories. It all went away with a tune. Hopefully you'll have the same experience. But I remember that feeling of hookiness, trying to feather it away and move my ass back but I couldn't offset it. Happily after an awesome tune by Podium in Park City they became one of my favorite skis ever and they've survived for three years now in my quiver.

I'll always tune new skis but for some macabre reason I like to feel how they ski out of the wrapper first.

Last edited:
TS
frank dahlmeyer

frank dahlmeyer

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have a fair amount of experience with both the Explorer {93, 100, and Pro} and the Bonafide {the first three generations}. Explorers are 193cm, and the Pro is a 191cm. Bonafides all 187cm. I'm fortunate to have these either handed to me, or given to me by our son or daughter. They have been affiliated with both companies.

We always "set up" our new skis. Have the bases ground flat, and structured, and have the base and edge bevels set. I say "we" as both our son and daughter have been on the Explorer since it it was in prototype. My son goes through a couple of pairs in a calendar year. I would not say that they are any worse than a number of skis when they come out of the wrapper, but every pair of ours {that I know of} has had some at least issues to correct. Railed bases are common. Some minor cupping on one pair. Our son has somebody who normally selects very good looking skis from the warehouse before they ship.....but they all need to be setup. IME, any ski should be carefully looked at and I can’t imagine not starting out with them “right.”

The Enforcer is a different skiing ski than a Bonafide, particularly the early Bonafide generations, and the first generation of the carbon tipped ski. I loved the way the Bonafide skied when it first came out, and still do. Don't love the newer ones quite as much despite the wider sweet spot. Yes, it has a slightly larger radius, but both the Enforcer 100 and Bonafide can be bent into different turn shapes. I don't think the difference that the OP noticed is attributable to the radius. Might be a good example of why so much more comes into play than waist size and radius when thinking about skis. Like the actual shape, tip and tail profile, the amount of rocker, tail rise, the layup, etc.

The Enforcer 100, in my experience{for me}is more playful, easier to bend into those tighter shapes, more friendly in a bit deeper snow, and though I hate to ski bumps, they are more forgiving there. The Bonafides tend to be a stronger ski in chopped up and cruddy stuff. More of a freight train. Despite the tip flap, I find the Bonafides to have been better at a higher speed. Pretty good ski on wide open groomers for a 98mm ski. Of course they were one of the first in the category, and so many other good skis have come out since. Neither would be my first choice on real firm groomers, BTW.

What generation {what year, topsheets?} are your Bonafides. I don't know many who would describe the Bonafide as being easier to ski, so that sort of surprises me. Of course the Bonafide has really good skiers who have never warmed up to it from it's introduction, at all. I joke with some folks here that I'm a bit of a contrarian. But, the thought that the Enforcers were giving you a hard time, versus the Bonafides makes me think that something is not not right. It's a different ski, different shape with a similar layup, but IMO, should be more friendly.

So having it tuned makes sense. Stan and Dan will be fine for that job.

I wouldn't be concerned or overthinking with respect to the mounting point. People ski them on the line, behind the line...and even some ahead of the line. I honestly don't even know exactly where mine have been mounted. Pretty sure they are mounted on the line. Not with me so I can’t check.

I won't confuse things by comparing 100 to the 93, which is, IMO also a really great ski.

I would start by having them looked at and having the appropriate base and edge set up done. Bet you’ll feel a substantial difference.

Good luck.

TS
frank dahlmeyer

frank dahlmeyer

Skier
I believe they are the 2014 bonafides - red in color. Allways loved the way this ski just seems to freight train through the cut up and the stability on some really tough and maybe chunkyish set up stuff - found it good in pow , excellent at burning gs turns at speed and very serviceable in the bumps except when they got firm and with a bit of work but not what I feel to be an excessive amount pretty quick edge to edge. Only issue with this ski is in the soft stuff in tight spots when skiing a bit slower , felt like a ton of work which is the reason for the enforcers.BTW 180 on the bones 185 in the enforcers.Have you skied this version of the bones??

TS
frank dahlmeyer

frank dahlmeyer

Skier
I believe they are the 2014 bonafides - red in color. Allways loved the way this ski just seems to freight train through the cut up and the stability on some really tough and maybe chunkyish set up stuff - found it good in pow , excellent at burning gs turns at speed and very serviceable in the bumps except when they got firm and with a bit of work but not what I feel to be an excessive amount pretty quick edge to edge. Only issue with this ski is in the soft stuff in tight spots when skiing a bit slower , felt like a ton of work which is the reason for the enforcers.BTW 180 on the bones 185 in the enforcers.Have you skied this version of the bones

TS
frank dahlmeyer

frank dahlmeyer

Skier
Got the skis back and they feel much better. Took them out 2 days one on firm - carved nice and held a solid edge , but still feel the ski is a bit lacking in a high speed gs turn-- again im coming off a bonafide so maybe im expecting too much from this ski . Took them out a second time in about 10 inches of higher density fresh - the ski seemed to do really well in the cut up at speed but a couple of times at speed in the uncut almost felt like I was gonna go over the handlebars , maybe the heavier snow but switched to the bones and never felt like this. I think you really had to be a bit back on both skis and it felt to me that the tail on the 100s were making it a bit harder to keep the tips up.Thinking about remounting at 1.5 back and i have read all the posts on doing this , just a bit worried about the ski feeling long afterward as i was kind of between sizes and sized up to the 185. Those who have done this , do you feel any negatives like skiing the bumps or trees after moning the mount back?. Again thanks for your replies .

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
16/17 Blister guide says this in the Bonafide review:

"If you think you'd prefer a dialed back version of the Bonafide, check out the Enforcer 100."

Also of note, they have the Bonafide's in the All-Mountain - More Stable section, whereas the Enforcers are in the All-Mountain - More Forgiving section.

James

Out There
Instructor
Havnt done a tune - or ever have on a new ski -seriousely ????????they need to be tuned from new????? and what do you mean by railed?
Yes. Some skis are really bad. Unfortunately, lots of shops cause problems too. In VT , everyone who cares about tuning and knows is still upset about Edgewise in Stowe ceasing operating. I used to drive two hours each way when I could've just walked into a local shop.

Most of this doesn't show up in soft snow.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Having a good tune is always important, but if I had to place a bet, I would say that the binding mount position is your issue here. As previously noted, adjustable bindings are worth their weight in gold on any ski. Being able to dial-in your preference can significantly change the "character" of the ski in turns.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
With the more forward mounts of Enforcers they don’t “require” as forward a stance as the Bonifide does so there will be an adjust period between those skis I’m sure.

Moving the mount back would “force” you to ski more forward again but think that’s kinda defeats the benefit of having a ski like the Enforcer. You can ski centered or forward if you choose so don’t always have to be as “on it” with a forward stance on the Enforcer.

Are they the same bindings on both sets of skis as that may be changing your stance a bit which would multiple the effect of the change in mount point. I had that issue with 2 sets of same skis(different length) last year so have the same bindings on the quiver.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
With the more forward mounts of Enforcers they don’t “require” as forward a stance as the Bonifide does so there will be an adjust period between those skis I’m sure.

Moving the mount back would “force” you to ski more forward again but think that’s kinda defeats the benefit of having a ski like the Enforcer. You can ski centered or forward if you choose so don’t always have to be as “on it” with a forward stance on the Enforcer.

Are they the same bindings on both sets of skis as that may be changing your stance a bit which would multiple the effect of the change in mount point. I had that issue with 2 sets of same skis(different length) last year so have the same bindings on the quiver.

not really....

The thing is on the recommend mount point I feel like I am on rear cuff trying to ski on a groomer and its tip dive city in powder. I went -2 and I havent seen someone not ski in the backseat at the factory line. Video of someone skiing in powder with the recommend point would be great.

The E100 is silly amounts of playful even -2 from the line.

47126126_10157671757148357_5444075239015186432_o.jpg

The thing is if you mount a ski to far forward and ski it in powder, you cant drive the tip and constantly feel like you ll go over the handle bar. 190lb skier in 30 inches of new snow, tips float at -2, at the line they are basically impossible for me in any powder deeper than a couple inches.

28827623_10157008981123357_1944892217438318285_o.jpg

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
not really....

The thing is on the recommend mount point I feel like I am on rear cuff trying to ski on a groomer and its tip dive city in powder. I went -2 and I havent seen someone not ski in the backseat at the factory line. Video of someone skiing in powder with the recommend point would be great.

The E100 is silly amounts of playful even -2 from the line.

The thing is if you mount a ski to far forward and ski it in powder, you cant drive the tip and constantly feel like you ll go over the handle bar. 190lb skier in 30 inches of new snow, tips float at -2, at the line they are basically impossible for me in any powder deeper than a couple inches.

I agree that people usually have a “happy place” of stance and mount position so it’s not surprising that someone like yourself that likes to drive the shovel favor a more traditional mount would like to be further back than the more progressive Enforcer mount. Just like a free ride/free style rider who may have a more centered stance would feel at home with the Enforcer mount or even further forward. A centered stance skier may find a traditional mount too far back and like to be further ahead to feel balanced.

The Enforcer range is more forgiving of stance than most skis and that’s what makes it so accessible to a large range of people. A stiffer ski with more traditional mount will usually reward a forward stance and punished those who get in the backseat. The Enforcer can be skied forward a bit(but not as forward as you prefer I guess) or a centered/neutral stance. You don’t have to be “on” all the time skiing it and that’s it’s greatest asset. Backseat skiers are not punished as much skiing them as you’ve noticed I’m afraid.

Most ski companies recommended going plus/minus a max of 2-3cm or you’re trying to make a ski something it’s not. If you have to move the ski much more than that, you’re better off choosing another ski to better match your style of skiing.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
so whats weird is have some 187cm Bonafides mounted +1.5 and they still feel more like I have to drive more than my -2 enforcers both 93 and 100.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went -2 and I havent seen someone not ski in the backseat at the factory line. Video of someone skiing in powder with the recommend point would be great. The E100 is silly amounts of playful even -2 from the line.

At minus 1.5, I couldn't agree more with this statement. Kinda hated the ski on the factory line. Never felt relaxed, natural, or centered where the ski wanted me to be.

Still not my favorite ski of all time, but an astounding combination of high performance and ease of use/user friendliness.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
At minus 1.5, I couldn't agree more with this statement. Kinda hated the ski on the factory line. Never felt relaxed, natural, or centered where the ski wanted me to be.

Still not my favorite ski of all time, but an astounding combination of high performance and ease of use/user friendliness.

it easily my favorite ski for soft snow at Stowe. I use the 93 for light powder and soft packed, not deep crud, and the 100 for deeper than 6 inches. The range off snow in which the ski works is incredible. At 200lb to me its playful charger, where as the Bones are simply to much for troughed out woods and bumps and only get to play when the cruds is super cruddy.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
so whats weird is have some 187cm Bonafides mounted +1.5 and they still feel more like I have to drive more than my -2 enforcers both 93 and 100.
[\QUOTE]

Actually makes total sense as the Bonifides mount is over 3cm behind the Enforcer recommended line and the Bonifides are stiffer. I’m sure you’d like the Rustler skis mounted about 2cm back from their line as they have similar mounts and flex to the Enforcer although maybe just 1-1.5cm back on the Rustler 9 as it’s the most similar to the “big brother” Brahma in the Rustler series. Doesn’t let you get away with being backseat as much as the Rustler 10 or 11 I find.

Love the Bonifide and might add it to the quiver for an afternoon crud ski when the conditions aren’t enough to bring out the Moment Bibby’s. Or if the Enforcer 105 comes out before the Spring sales it might be fun too.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That hookiness has got to be a temporary problem, unless that particular pair of 100s is defective.

The 185 Enforcer 100, for me, is a great soft snow and powder/chop/variable ski for its width, just tops, a great balance of qualities, and intuitive, damp, easy, stable, no speed limit. No hookiness on my first full demo day, or second, wherever it was mounted and how tuned each time. And I'm usually very fussy about mount point and tune, with many skis - but got lucky with this one. (In my experience, lots of skis are great straight from the factory, but at times these days I've seen brand new rail high skis, either from the factory or from a first tuning on, say, a Wintersteiger machine in the wrong operator's hands.)

I've come to appreciate the Enforcer 100 more, recently, as I got a pair of 183 Stockli SR 95s for "underperforming" powder days, like we had so many of last season here in Colorado - "underperforming" meaning, say, 2-5" when 5-12" were forecast. Surprising to me, that 95 ski has a very different set of pros and cons than the Enforcer. Possibly just my limitations, but simply put, the SR 95 has a speed/torque/snow depth limit that the Enforcer doesn't have. Though the SR 95 does have a different set of pluses also, it bottoms out with too much force on it. I have to be careful not to ask too much of it. Not so with the Enforcer 100, and I'm guessing, the wider Enforcers too. (Would love to try the 115 Pros.)

There's a fun contrast with the Bonafide also, but I'm too light a skier to really appreciate that ski, I'm told.

From what you all are saying about the Enforcer 110, have to give it a further try: to me it felt like a softer tip/tail Enforcer 100, not as good in crud/variable as the 100.

TS
frank dahlmeyer

frank dahlmeyer

Skier
So I remounted the skis - 1.5 and like that it feels much easier to charge a real gs turn and the ski doesnt feel like the tails are too long when in a few inches of fresh and a bit more overall control over the ski - did notice some tip flap now at speed but its not too bad- it definately slows it down edge to edge just a bit and for this reason i wish i only went -1 but overall am happy with the move , skis are still super playful . I feel that my stance is not as relaxed as on my bones and checked the binding deltas -- the enforcers are basically nuetral but the bones have a bit of higher lift in the heels -- i think the final dial in may be a shim under the heel - any thoughts , just feels a bit hard to fex into the boots compared to the natural stance i feel when on the bones

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
just shim the heel and your will be fine.

BTW Phrase like "my stance is not as relaxed" mean basically nothing. You binding have less forward delta. MY guess is your either use to the delta on the bones or the delta is correct for you.

With out video of you on the bones and and on the enforcers it would be impossible to tell you what is correct for you the skier.

Sponsor