• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

asolo

Booting up
Skier
I am looking for feedback on Nordica Dobermann GP 130 as a "recreational race" (masters racing) boot.

The boots seem to fit me pretty well, maybe need an extra couple of millimeters of width in the forefoot. If I settle on these, I'll see a bootfitter to make adjustments. I would like to get more forward lean than the spec'ed 12 degrees. Will spoilers help?

Currently I am in Cochise 120 Dyn. The reason to replace the Cochise is mostly... hoping that having a proper "race" boot w/o walking mode would be maybe slightly better. I don't really have any specific issues with my current boots (after adding spoilers). I guess Cochise could be a bit stiffer laterally. The ankle hold is something I fiddle with a lot. After several hours of skiing the liners in Cochise seem to compact a bit.

I know I do not like the Lange/Rossi (tried, tested). I have not had a chance to try Head, Fisher or Atomic. I know I need at least 98mm wide last, and even that requires a bit of widening. Any recommendations on what else to try?

At this point in the season there's not a great (or any selection) around. Hoping to score some race boots on sale. I know, it's not the best way to go about it.

Thank you!

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I am looking for feedback on Nordica Dobermann GP 130 as a "recreational race" (masters racing) boot.

The boots seem to fit me pretty well, maybe need an extra couple of millimeters of width in the forefoot. If I settle on these, I'll see a bootfitter to make adjustments. I would like to get more forward lean than the spec'ed 12 degrees. Will spoilers help?

Currently I am in Cochise 120 Dyn. The reason to replace the Cochise is mostly... hoping that having a proper "race" boot w/o walking mode would be maybe slightly better. I don't really have any specific issues with my current boots (after adding spoilers). I guess Cochise could be a bit stiffer laterally. The ankle hold is something I fiddle with a lot. After several hours of skiing the liners in Cochise seem to compact a bit.

I know I do not like the Lange/Rossi (tried, tested). I have not had a chance to try Head, Fisher or Atomic. I know I need at least 98mm wide last, and even that requires a bit of widening. Any recommendations on what else to try?

At this point in the season there's not a great (or any selection) around. Hoping to score some race boots on sale. I know, it's not the best way to go about it.

Thank you!
1. You do not need at least a 98mm wide last, that's why you go to a bootfitter...
2. This will be a huge improvement over the Cochise, provided the new boot fits you well
3. Go to a race shop and see what they have (try what they do).
4. Without seeing your foot, recommendations are silly. Still, I'd look at the Tecnica Firebird R series (effectively a 96mm PE plug) or the Dalbello DRS series (non-WC), if you don't want a true plug, as other potential options.
5. Forward lean is relatively easy to adjust or accommodate if you work with a good fitter. That will work itself out.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
1. You do not need at least a 98mm wide last, that's why you go to a bootfitter...
2. This will be a huge improvement over the Cochise, provided the new boot fits you well
3. Go to a race shop and see what they have (try what they do).
4. Without seeing your foot, recommendations are silly. Still, I'd look at the Tecnica Firebird R series (effectively a 96mm PE plug) or the Dalbello DRS series (non-WC), if you don't want a true plug, as other potential options.
5. Forward lean is relatively easy to adjust or accommodate if you work with a good fitter. That will work itself out.

Thank you!

Quick question: I thought Tecnica/Nordica were essentially the same company and boots are very similar. This is what lead me to Nordica in the first place: I had had a good experience with Tecnica boots (Mach 1, Cochise). Nordicas were easier to find at this point in time.

One more question: is removing one of the back bolts going to soften the Dobermann? I am not sure I need a boot at 130 stiffness (not too proud to admit I am an average and aging "racer").

Will def see a bootfitter. I have Larry in Boulder nearby (he has no race boots this year), hope I could get his attention :) There's also Foothills Ski Life and Denver Sports Lab (these do not carry Tecnicas I believe). The Alpine Base and Edge only has kids boots.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Thank you!

Quick question: I thought Tecnica/Nordica were essentially the same company and boots are very similar. This is what lead me to Nordica in the first place: I had had a good experience with Tecnica boots (Mach 1, Cochise). Nordicas were easier to find at this point in time.

One more question: is removing one of the back bolts going to soften the Dobermann? I am not sure I need a boot at 130 stiffness (not too proud to admit I am an average and aging "racer").

Will def see a bootfitter. I have Larry in Boulder nearby (he has no race boots this year), hope I could get his attention :) There's also Foothills Ski Life and Denver Sports Lab (these do not carry Tecnicas I believe). The Alpine Base and Edge only has kids boots.
I am not a bootfitter.

My understanding for Nordica/Tecnica is that the full on plugs are the same boot, but all the "consumer" boots are developed separately. Somebody who is more knowledgeable can correct me.

I've never been a proponent of removing bolts to soften a boot ... but again, I am not a bootfitter.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
So, I have "pulled the trigger" so to speak, by tearing off tags and trying the Nordica Dobermann GP 130 on the hill today.

There was indeed a marked improvement over my old Cochise: at the start of the turn, when I drove the downhill knee forward, especially on steeps (like down a mogul), suddenly the boot does not collapse under and the ski bites. I did a 5 or so runs and it was a lot of fun, being able to drive the tip of the ski with all my might.

My worry that the boots would be too stiff was baseless. In fact, I think I could handle a stiffer boot. I have got this "give me more of that firmness and forward boot resistance" feeling.

The only concern I have now is that the boots are too comfortable. The heel hold seems to be fine. The midfoot and the calf are hugged firmly. Yet, I expect to have some serious pain in new boots and there was none. This could indicate too much space.

I think next season I am going to try a real race plug with full on bootfitter session.

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. I also tried on Dalbello DRS 120 and was not impressed: the fit was a bit too sloppy for my taste, liner too thick and cushy.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
When it comes to ski boots, all roads lead to Italy and hence, Nordica. It's hard to escape the expertise of Nordica when you review the ski boot lore. Add a ZipFit liner (also crafted in Italy) and you'll have Ferrari's for your feet... ;)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
All this great advice about boots and brands for the OP's foot sight unseen... epic.

(S.H. nailed it in post #2.)

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
Nordica gp’s are manufactured in Hungary, I believe. I have the gp 140’s and really like the the way they ski. I was surprised to see that they are listed as having only 13.5 degrees of forward lean.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Nordica gp’s are manufactured in Hungary, I believe. I have the gp 140’s and really like the the way they ski. I was surprised to see that they are listed as having only 13.5 degrees of forward lean.

GP 130 and 140 are made in Italy.

Depends on how the forward lean is measured. The referenced measurement from Nordica is taken from the front of the cuff. When you measure the rear spine (like most other manufacturers) you'll find that it's 16*. Quite typical.

Sponsor