• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Brown Santa should be here later today with the new 93 and 104 for Tricia (both 172cm) . They will immediately be mounted up and on snow Wednesday. Unfortuantely, discussion is embargoed until Outdoor Retailers at the end of the month.
Might be a good opening here for Nordica to take more share on the women's side. They already are killing it on the men's side with the Enforcer.

Not sure what happened but this year it doesn't seem like the Black Pearl is dominating quite as much from what I can tell. Last season it sometimes felt like 3/4 of women you saw had one. Definitely seeing less of them in Utah this year for whatever reason, although they were so popular their sales didn't seem to have any more room to go up.

Speaking of, Blizzard better do something bigger in 20/21 or I think they risk lose momentum as a brand. They seem to be getting a bit stale and relying on past success.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Might be a good opening here for Nordica to take more share on the women's side. They already are killing it on the men's side with the Enforcer.

Not sure what happened but this year it doesn't seem like the Black Pearl is dominating quite as much from what I can tell. Last season it sometimes felt like 3/4 of women you saw had one. Definitely seeing less of them in Utah this year for whatever reason, although they were so popular their sales didn't seem to have any more room to go up.

Speaking of, Blizzard better do something bigger in 20/21 or I think they risk lose momentum as a brand. They seem to be getting a bit stale and relying on past success.
Blizzard caught ligtning in the bottle with the Black Pearl, it was the right ski at the right time with the right person (@Tricia) behind it at it's release. As far as where Blizzard is today...we have said for a year that it appeared they were resting on their laurels for a while. We will be previewing the new freeride collection later today, lets see if they can regain the momentum that was created with the Bonafide and Black Pearl almost a decade ago.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Yep! I know 158, 165, and 172 are on the docket for the wider ones, and 151, 158, 165 for the 88 are for sure as well. Surprised at the number of brands dropping lengths over ~172, especially for freeride/powder skis. I think Nordica made the right call of toning down how gendered the ski lines were and sticking to the current sizing of the 110.

Thanks @Analisa! I’m on a 161 on the old (pre-metal) AS right now, and am looking forward to the 158!

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Not sure what happened but this year it doesn't seem like the Black Pearl is dominating quite as much from what I can tell. Last season it sometimes felt like 3/4 of women you saw had one.

I think more women are trying other things instead of just buying the ski they are told is the "it" ski. I know lots of women who bought the Black Pearl and don't really love it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think more women are trying other things instead of just buying the ski they are told is the "it" ski. I know lots of women who bought the Black Pearl and don't really love it.
This is where a ski can be a victim of it's own success. While the BP was popular, it is definitely NOT a ski for everyone.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blister announces that the Enforcer 100 is their pick for ski of the decade.

Don't screw it up, Nordica!

James

Out There
Instructor
Blister announces that the Enforcer 100 is their pick for ski of the decade.

Don't screw it up, Nordica!
Which decade?

This is where a ski can be a victim of it's own success. While the BP was popular, it is definitely NOT a ski for everyone.
Well maybe it was like the Soul 7, but more. Soul 7 was sort of the “My First Fat Ski”, plus an easy recommendation. Then lots of people discovered they wanted something else.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Eh, Blister also forgot about the entire women's side of the aisle. Any pod talking about best/most influential ski of the last decade that doesn't make a peep about the Black Pearl isn't complete.

@James - they picked based on their opinion on construction. (Or most influential based on the pieces of gear that got a lot of copycats that kind of inspired the entire market).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Eh, Blister also forgot about the entire women's side of the aisle. Any pod talking about best/most influential ski of the last decade that doesn't make a peep about the Black Pearl isn't complete.

@James - they picked based on their opinion on construction. (Or most influential based on the pieces of gear that got a lot of copycats that kind of inspired the entire market).
As I get ready to mount my all new Enforcer 100's (which do look pretty darn sweet), I have to agree, the Black Pearl 88 is absolutely the ski of the decade. The Black Pearl has been here for pretty much the whole decade arriving Spring of 2011 to accolades from (then) Trekchick to literally dozens of pre orders. The Enforcer arrived 4 years later, yes to a lot of fan fair, I know I immediately said it was the new reference ski in the category, IIRC Realskiers panned it and we had over 5K views of myre review in the 10 days leading up to the SIA Tradeshow in January. All good but IMHO, 9 years at the top trumps the 5 of the Enforcer...win goes to the Black Pearl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, Blister has always loved the E100 for the same reasons I do. Basically, it suits intermediates to experts, fast to slow speeds, long or short turns, firm pack, crud, bumps or powder.

I don't think their award had a thing to do with sales.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I don't really pay much attention to what boots people are wearing, so perhaps there are more rear entries out there than I imagine.

Still seems like it would be a very small niche to me at that high of a MSRP, but I admit, have to give Noridica benefit of the doubt here as successful as they have been. And give them credit, this one does seem outside the box at the moment.

As the first wave of boomers enters their mid 70's, this isn't an outside the box preposition. Watch any group of older senior skiers boot up, and you'll understand the market. This type of boot will keep folks on the hill an extra decade.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blister podcast had two separate things, best ski and most influential ski. I think the Enforcer 100 pick was for the ‘best ski’ and others were picked for ‘most influential’.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, I'm SO stoked that the 185 will gain that ever-essential 1 cm in length. :roflmao:
Hmm, You are right, the size jumps are weird: 165, 172, 179, 186, and 191 cm.

Size:Percent increase:Absolute increase:
1724.2%7
1794.1%7
1863.9%7
1912.7%5
1713.6%6
1773.5%6
1833.4%6
1903.8%7
1723.6%6
1783.5%6
1843.4%6
1903.3%6

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep! I know 158, 165, and 172 are on the docket for the wider ones, and 151, 158, 165 for the 88 are for sure as well. Surprised at the number of brands dropping lengths over ~172, especially for freeride/powder skis. I think Nordica made the right call of toning down how gendered the ski lines were and sticking to the current sizing of the 110.

Super disappointed in the change of ski sizing here. Upper-160s has hit my sweet spot for this type of ski. I'm skeptical, but interested to see what the changes do to my favorite ski....hope I don't need to start stock piling...

James

Out There
Instructor
It's Bro sizing.
Having two skis in the 170's makes a lot of sense.

Sponsor