• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Norcal Ski and Snowboard Festival -- anyone attending?

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
I got an email about this today. I'm planning to attend the one at Santa Clara county fairgrounds. I'm thinking Friday 8th November right now. I would love to meet other Pugskiers who might be going.

Perhaps @SSSdave @Tony @textrovert are going?

https://www.sfskifest.com/

The Premier Ski & Snowboard Festivals
Join us for our 14th season

SAN FRANCISCO
November 1st – 3rd

SANTA CLARA
November 8th – 10th

SACRAMENTO
November 15th – 17th

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Sounds good to me. Per the free stuff, although I tend to ski at KW and HV, last winter joined the après ski club with a cabin in Kings Beach but haven't skied any of the north shore resorts in maybe a couple decades. Besides NS that is on my Epic pass grabbing the HW ticket and one of the 2 for 1 SV/AM tickets makes that more interesting. Have also skied BV and CP that can be worthwhile mid week after storms that occasionally hit the southern Sierra while missing Tahoe.

Still a ways off so we ought revisit this as the SCL date approaches and fit in some common date/time.

TS
M

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
Sounds good to me. Per the free stuff, although I tend to ski at KW and HV, last winter joined the après ski club with a cabin in Kings Beach but haven't skied any of the north shore resorts in maybe a couple decades. Besides NS that is on my Epic pass grabbing the HW ticket and one of the 2 for 1 SV/AM tickets makes that more interesting. Have also skied BV and CP that can be worthwhile mid week after storms that occasionally hit the southern Sierra while missing Tahoe.

Still a ways off so we ought revisit this as the SCL date approaches and fit in some common date/time.

I will buy the $20 ticket so I can get an option to have the free ticket at Homewood/Bear Valley. It seems unlikely that I will make it there due to the M-F restriction for Bear Valley and Tue-Th for Homewood. But it's good to have a choice.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Sorry it took me a while to responds, but either the evening of Fri. 11/8 or being there at opening on Sat 11/9 work best for me.

Note that only the equipment sale area will be open on Fri. evening, not the festival floor where sometime other free or discount tickets or season passes are available. I received e-mail offering me half-price tickets (that I don't think is shareable) that says "Join us Friday Evening from 6pm-9pm to get the first picks of our HUGE SKI & SNOWBOARD RETAIL SALE! Comes with THREE FREE LIFT TICKETS (Homewood Mountain Resort, Bear Valley, China Peak). Check SFSkiFest.com for details. No access to festival floor during Friday event"

I may be able to use Homewood or Bear Valley ticket. I haven't been to either for a few years. The problem with Homewood (beside having to drive past Squaw to get there from a lot of places) is the days that it may have good powder are also the days that road past Emerald Bay would likely be closed which makes for a long trip to South Lake Tahoe. I've used the free Sierra-Tahoe ticket the last couple of years which worked well for me for a couple of hours skiing on way to South Lake Tahoe. The Squaw 2fer does not do me much good as I have both Vail Tahoe Local Pass and Ikon Base Pass. I've been to China Peak twice. Both were mid-week powder days where I spent night before in parking lot in my van in the 90s. Not sure I'd go back unless someone else was driving.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been to the event in the past only for the BV ticket deals. 5-6 years ago you could get a 3 pack to Bear Valley for $99. It was early in my ski career and short day trips were the priority to minimize time away from young family.

One year, I think BV knew it was going to be a light snow year and made additional trips to Santa Clara Valley to sell the three packs at Sports Basement (Sunnyvale). I got a few packs and dragged a lot of people up. Some of my best memories are those quick trips.

Now with friends with passes to Tahoe Local (Vail) and my family passes to Rose, BV doesn't draw me. Much more willing to pay to play: lodging, traffic and time.

Equipment deal wise, I couldn't see making a spot decision without over thinking about it first, so this format doesn't work for me.

Here's hoping it works for you.

Last edited:

SSSdave

Skier
Weekend is now a couple days away. At this point am flexible, could go either Saturday or Sunday so will wait till others pipe in.

SSSdave

Skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wish Phil and I could have made it but glad to see some other pugs are getting it.

SSSdave

Skier
Was a worthwhile Saturday afternoon diversion that I mainly spent people watching. Met a ski club acquaintance there that had fun talking with. Several booths for lodging and or full package vacation trips that I just smiled to when walking by. Wandered through the gear corral looking at new ski models. Fun watching kids playing. Main festival attraction was the skateboarding air ramps.

Because I bought the $20 Powder Pass now can ski single days at the 3 small resorts. Since I can stay cheaply at a Kings Beach ski club cabin for skiing Northstar (Epic Tahoe Value Local Senior), expect to at least also get a mid week low elevation storm skiing day in at Homewood that has better wind protection and visibility on storm days. Will only make use of the BV and CP tickets if they receive an uncommon dump that misses Tahoe though when that happens am more likely to ski Dodge Ridge because fresh snow is apt to last longer due in its obscure forest places.