• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Parallel at the turn end?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I often get the opportunity to "evaluate" my ski tracks from the lift after a decent on pristine groomed or "An inch of fresh over ice" conditions. Such are the obligations of "checking trails" prior to opening. ;-)

One detail I have noted is that when conditions are " that hard", i.e. Eastern firm, my tracks often indicate that my down hill / outside ski points more across the fall line than does the less weighted "inside" ski. This only just prior to the edge change into the new turn.

These are for " speed control" short swing turns only.
Higher energy, carved turns show two parallel lines curving across the snow surface. (NOTE: Same skier ;-)

Should I work on something?
I've been trying to "tuck" the inside ski, but that just seems cosmetic rather than practical.

Suggestions?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Impossible to diagnose without video, but it sounds like a classic rotary push off problem. I suspect you are starting the turn with upper body rotation and pushing your body inside with the new outside ski instead of tipping the lower legs to establish edge and a platform to accept pressure. Allow the feet to move out rather than attempting to move the body in.

Video would be most helpful.

Mike

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Most likely rotary push off.

slight chance its a down stem.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The middle skier in this image demonstrates about the angles I am speaking of.

black-low-c.jpg

There is no connection with the other two postures.
Not that kind of turn

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_6133.JPG

Lazy S slash Lazy S
Brand
You've got a lazy inside foot. ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online