• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Indemnified Binding Decisions

Salomon 977 Carbon or 900s Carbon, which is safer?

• 977 Carbon is a better choice.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 900s Carbon have a better safety record.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yer gonna die either way..

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Everyone knows your quiver because you talk about it and I don’t see anyone dissing it.
Not sure where you got that :huh:

Dude. You and François need to get together and form some kind of Luddite gathering. Invite Ski Nurse. You'll need her.

That looks like a diss to me

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK I've been skiing some old 977 Carbon on my bump skis, not very often but regardless. Would a slighly newer 900s Carbon be less likely to explode all other things equal? Or should I just leave them as either is just as risky or sound??

I recently had 20 year old aluminum bike seat clamp bolt break for seemingly no reason except that it was old. If the bindings are lightly used then based on others' comments I would keep using them. I can't imagine the stem on my bike breaking but since it's the last original part I might replace it anyways.

Are binding screws or glue known to strip from overuse?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
crgildart said:
Salomon 977 Carbon or 900s Carbon, which is safer?
Dude. You and François need to get together and form some kind of Luddite gathering. Invite Ski Nurse. You'll need her.
Let's see your quiver..
Don't diss another skier's quiver, especially one you're not familiar with, without being ready to post up your own gear.
That looks like a diss to me

@crgildart, can't tell how much of your defensiveness is for real vs. goofing.

I really don't know anything about your quiver. I was just reacting to the cognitive dissonance that I experience when someone posts a question centered on binding safety and then asks which of two old - probably no longer indemnified - binding models is a better choice. If you're worried about safety, just use a newer binding. If you want to ski old bindings, go for it, but if you do that we have to assume that safety isn't your top priority.

If you have such a big quiver that you can't afford modern binders on all of them, well, either put some on the wall and actually ski only the newer ones, or else sell some skis and use the money to put new bindings on the skis that remain.

I don't see how my quiver has anything at all to do with the discussion.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you want to update the bindings, look for a pair of the last-year STH14 or STH16 (not the STH2). Still basically a Driver, mostly the same hole pattern, just a lot newer (but still old enough at this point that they shouldn't be too expensive unless you're looking on TGR).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you want to update the bindings, look for a pair of the last-year STH14 or STH16 (not the STH2). Still basically a Driver, mostly the same hole pattern, just a lot newer (but still old enough at this point that they shouldn't be too expensive unless you're looking on TGR).
The 727 hole pattern ran to the 747 IIRC. Sth14 has the same plastic issues issues as the 14...Sth16 hs more metal but starts at a 9..a bit much for most. Again, I would have no issues skiing an all metal Driver going back to a 957.

Sponsor

Staff online