• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Indemnified Binding Decisions

Salomon 977 Carbon or 900s Carbon, which is safer?

• 977 Carbon is a better choice.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 900s Carbon have a better safety record.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yer gonna die either way..

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK I've been skiing some old 977 Carbon on my bump skis, not very often but regardless. Would a slighly newer 900s Carbon be less likely to explode all other things equal? Or should I just leave them as either is just as risky or sound??

62594158_2712610992087755_6832893505912700928_n.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Give them a good visual inspection. Look carefully at the metal pieces. I've seen more metal pieces broken on bindings than I've seen 'exploded' plastic.

I wouldn't change bindings from one unindemnified for another nearly identical unindemnified design just because one is 'slightly newer'. I would have them shop tested to see if there are any hidden defects and verify that they work properly.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 3.00.22 PM.png

:eek::eek::eek:

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^^That sticker's definitely not indemnified LOL
I'm definitely gonna die. I put the 900 heels on and left the 977 toes on... because the small head screws from the original lifted 900s were too big and the small head screws from the 977s were too small for the 900s flat because the AFD is fatter. I'll need to find someone with a grinder I can borrow to shorten the too long small heads. Probably get around to that before I ski them again.. maybe. Slidewright's out of medium length small heads and they no longer make them.

As for taking them to a shop, that's a 1.5 hour round trip to the closest one, near downtown Raleigh NC where there may or may not be someone more experienced than I am. More often than not it is a college student, hopefully from a more ski friendly part of the country. I suppose I could also take some time after a ski day before the 3 hour drive home to stop by a shop in the mountains to see if they would do a visual fail while I wait. Now you see why I've done all my own boot and binding work since the late 1980s..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have yet to see a 900 break...but I have 977s. I wouldn't hesitate skiing a Racing (all metal) version of eitehr of these.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have yet to see a 900 break...but I have 977s. I wouldn't hesitate skiing a Racing (all metal) version of eitehr of these.
I definitely feel more comfortable with the 900s Carbon heels than I do with the 977 Composite heels. Toes don't have nearly as many issues as heels do.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Dude. You and François need to get together and form some kind of Luddite gathering. Invite Ski Nurse. You'll need her.
Let's see your quiver..

James

Out There
Instructor
I've got some lightly used Marker 12's if you want. Not sure if they're still indemnified, the 16's are.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've got some lightly used Marker 12's if you want. Not sure if they're still indemnified, the 16's are.
I toyed with the idea of swapping the Look Pivots off my 1080s but there are already two and a half sets of holes in the Cabrawlers. FWIW, the 80 waist 1080s aren't a terrible bump ski either..

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not really.;)
Note, in a meaningless poll, an option of death will always be chosen.
I am on a diet so cake is out, so I chose death. :D

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't diss another skier's quiver, especially one you're not familiar with, without being ready to post up your own gear.

Gee, we are only half way through June. You guys are already sitting at your keyboards and comparing sizes of your various body parts. :nono:

It's gonna be a long summer & fall.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't diss another skier's quiver, especially one you're not familiar with, without being ready to post up your own gear.
Everyone knows your quiver because you talk about it and I don’t see anyone dissing it.
Not sure where you got that :huh:

Sponsor

Staff online