• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

No snow in the forecast: where to go for a quick early season trip?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In the PNW at least, we usually see healthy base-building snowfall at the ski areas by this time of year. It seems there will be no mid-November opening whereas one can usually anticipate skiing by Thanksgiving weekend if not sooner.

So this totally sucks. I know the snow will come eventually, hopefully. Maybe I jinxed it by getting new snow tires, or buying a pair of powder skis. Whatever, if I’m to blame so be it. I’m still jonesing to ski.

So, I have an Epic Pass and and Ikon Pass and I’m not afraid to use them.

Before anyone tells me to forget about planning a trip for early season skiing, I’m already planning to go to the Gathering, in the middle of a 2 weeks plus road trip, so it’s not like I’ll be missing out on other travel opportunities. Basically it’ll be travel and accommodations, for which I have my Worldmark/RCI credits, or Air BnB if needed. So the time and cost of driving, and/or the time and cost of airfare.

Some ideas: a quick trip to Whistler, which usually opens around Thanksgiving, and it’s only 3 1/2 driving. But I’m not convinced they will have much snow either. But if they do, it’s an easy choice.

Or a longer drive to Revelstoke. They’re supposed to open November 30, again we’ll have to see what kind of coverage they have. Okanagan resorts such as Sun Peaks or Silver Star are an option as well, though not on my passes.

Or fly to Calgary, both Sunshine and Lake Louise are open, and hopefully with more terrain open than the few runs they have now. The weather forecasts favor BC/AB and the northern Rockies, so maybe it’ll be good enough to be worth a quick trip. I even found I can drive to Abbotsford in 1 1/2 hours, and fly Flair Air to Calgary pretty reasonably for a less than Seattle-Calgary on Alaska, Delta or Air Canada on such short notice.

Or fly to Bozeman and ski Big Sky. I don’t know what the snow accumulation has been but their webcams look promising.

Or fly or take the train to Whitefish. Not on either of my passes, and again not clear how much terrain will be open.

Or fly to Denver, since I’ve got both passes I could try either/both Abasin and Keystone, or pay for a day pass at Loveland. I’m not sure what else will be open at that point, or who will have any more snow than those. One disadvantage is the higher elevation for my first time out skiing, when I live close to sea level.

Thoughts? Ideas? Tell me it’s all a horrible idea and suck it up and wait out the snow drought?

Thx

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
David the drive from Stanwood to Big Sky is just over 650 miles and supposedly takes just under 12 hours (that's from Apple Maps). G. and I did Anacortes to BS for 10 years and it was usually an easy day and a half as we didn't have to rush. We thought it easier than flying, and more interesting. Silver Mtn. and Lookout are right on I90 so if you wanted you could ski either, if either have snow, and still get to BS in time for an early dinner. Oh, and all the years we were there we skied Thanksgiving Day no matter what the snow conditions.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Or fly to Denver, since I’ve got both passes I could try either/both Abasin and Keystone, or pay for a day pass at Loveland. I’m not sure what else will be open at that point, or who will have any more snow than those. One disadvantage is the higher elevation for my first time out skiing, when I live close to sea level.

Thoughts? Ideas? Tell me it’s all a horrible idea and suck it up and wait out the snow drought?

Thx
Breck, Keystone, Copper, A-Basin and Loveland are all open. WP, too.

Breck has 6 trails off two lifts as of yesterday. All of it excellent snow on nice trails; blues and greens. They continue to blow snow so more terrain should be opening weekly.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I am contemplating the same kind of early season trip if nothing gets going in Utah soon. It would be before Thanksgiving driving with an ikon pass, no Epic Pass. I also have a few days available at Loveland & maybe Targhee.
Steamboat would be the easiest Colorado drive for me.
Copper opened yesterday but the web cam looked as busy as would be expected. At what point or date do the race training runs & Super Bee lift open to the public?
How much terrain is open at Abasin or Loveland?, I’ve never been to either.
Thanks.

Last edited:
TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
David the drive from Stanwood to Big Sky is just over 650 miles and supposedly takes just under 12 hours (that's from Apple Maps). G. and I did Anacortes to BS for 10 years and it was usually an easy day and a half as we didn't have to rush. We thought it easier than flying, and more interesting. Silver Mtn. and Lookout are right on I90 so if you wanted you could ski either, if either have snow, and still get to BS in time for an early dinner. Oh, and all the years we were there we skied Thanksgiving Day no matter what the snow conditions.

I was thinking of squeezing a long weekend trip in, say Friday 11/29 to Monday 12/2 and be back at my office Tuesday 12/3, so trying to keep it within a day to drive, and that’s why I’m considering flying as well, though getting any flights last minute gets more expensive. I think the longest I would want to drive to is Revelstoke, which is more like 6 hours.

I will actually be driving to Lookout Pass on my way to Gathering, plus a day at Lost Trail and Discovery. I’m not convinced Silver or Schweitzer will have enough snow by then, though I’ve had good luck for Xmas and New Years trips there.

Breck, Keystone, Copper, A-Basin and Loveland are all open. WP, too.

Breck has 6 trails off two lifts as of yesterday. All of it excellent snow on nice trails; blues and greens. They continue to blow snow so more terrain should be opening weekly.

Good to know.

So another question: is it better to go early, since the conditions are good, or wait until spring for a trip to CO?

Probably both, right?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@David Chaus , I love spring skiing and it was great at Breck last year; other mountains as well, I'm sure. We are off to a good start at Breck with more trails and better snow than usual at this time. So ya, I'd say both. ;)

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I heard Mammoth opened by just WROD. I'd sure like to go skiing but there's just not enough open. Ski pal just went over Hood and said its the least amount of snow hes ever seen. To ease the pain I just keep buying skis.....3 pair.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am contemplating the same kind of early season trip if nothing gets going in Utah soon. It would be before Thanksgiving driving with an ikon pass, no Epic Pass. I also have a few days available at Loveland & maybe Targhee.
Steamboat would be the easiest Colorado drive for me.
Copper opened yesterday but the web cam looked as busy as would be expected. At what point or date do the race training runs & Super Bee lift open to the public?
How much terrain is open at Abasin or Loveland?, I’ve never been to either.
Thanks.
We are so bummed, our early Targhee trip is not looking good.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Or fly or take the train to Whitefish. Not on either of my passes, and again not clear how much terrain will be open.
We don't open until December. Ever (Big Mountain did, not Whitefish Mountain Resort).

Things have been cold for a while and we did have summer snow and I think they are blowing, but I doubt if we'll be 100% on opening day.

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
within easy drives for you most areas in BC do not plan on being open in your time frame.
the exceptions will be Whistler (Nov 28) and Sun Peaks.
have done a number of trips for opening days throughout our province and seldom found it worth the effort with the terrain that opens first.

The current lack of snow on the coast makes the very late opening for Whistler seem almost planned.
Whistler averages about 9 feet in November - 9cm so far, but usually more terrain opens on the coast than anywhere else.

Vampire Cat

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm in the same boat of looking for somewhere to go around that time. I'd prefer to drive to avoid the cluster F that the airports will be that weekend. Been eyeing some spots in Alberta (e.g. Lake Louise) as potential destinations. Will have to add Big White and Sun Peaks to the list of possibles given the much shorter drive. My plan is to keep studying all available sources: weather forecasts, websites for the resorts, this thread, etc.; until making my final decision probably just a few days before leaving.

I already took a drive down to Mt Rose just to get on skis a little to get the season going. Watching the 10 day forecasts it doesn't look like anywhere to the south is particularly promising in the upcoming weeks. So long as I keep costs reasonable, I can take a several day trip pretty much every other weekend due to my work pattern, so it's not like there's a large opportunity cost in taking a trip that isn't as awesome as it might be at another time. It's more important to choose the place with the best (or at least decent) conditions at any given time.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Front range CO is always the early choice. I laugh yearly at aspen ski team slumming at Luv, but this year noticed the JH juniors down. I’m not a huge Keystone fan but earlier season they usually have the most open and sustained very. Copper is a good choice as well.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We were considering the long drive to Keystone but wiser heads prevailed.

Now contemplating the 6 hour drive to Mammoth. Opening weekend was packed but today looks pretty empty.

I am SO ready.