• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
My biggest problem is cold feet. Not really a problem unless <25F. Am even getting a touch of Raynaud's. Lake Louise a few years ago put my feet over the top into danger zone.
Then my right shoulder is sore, not too bad. That was first separated in very tight, hard moguls skiing Wild Cat at Alta about 30 years ago.
But for 59 I'm in good shape. I can ski first to last in any conditions. Just went out for short 5:15am run, but my long run days are over! Hit 2200 miles on the road bike this summer. And I can do the exercise wheel right to the floor multiple times. I'm fading but very slowly.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm 28, so this thread was an interesting glimpse into the future. I've started to get more concerned about this topic lately since I'm losing that young feeling of invincibility.

I'm definitely going to check YNY book recommended here.

I'm a believer that way more injuries than we think are related to weakness or a lack of fitness. But there's also a fine line between getting fit and overdoing it. IMO, laying on the couch everyday puts someone at way more risk for a knee injury on the slopes, but on the other hand, performing maxed out Olympic lifts every day is asking for nagging joint problems.

One thing I've been kicking around lately the importance of mixing exercises. So while in the past I'd go to the gym and perform the same few exercises, I'm trying to take a more balanced approach. Instead of just running for cardio, running + swimming + cycling, etc... Maybe do a few months at a time or a rotating schedule. Hopefully this will keep me fit enough to avoid some of the breakdown/aging related issues, while avoiding those repetitive overuse injuries.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just read all 6 pages, like the Tricia/Phil relaxing therapy photo.

Other than Arnica any other things to do for arthritic knee. My right knee is ok on groomers but gives up on me off piste and/or in the powder. It is really getting to me this year. First day ok till 1 or 2, second day good sort of until about 11 and have to quit. Knee hurts a little and I can live with that but it actually just gives out on me and I can't affectively use it at all. I hot tub and ice it a lot and after two days off it is ok. Not being able to ski 2 days in a row really is a downer for trips, Gatherings etc.

We haves been getting good snow for a week now and I skied Tue 8" fresh, Thurs 8" fresh and Fri 12" fresh and only lasted till about 10am fri and then had to move to easier terrain, skied till 1130 and had to quit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am 75 and strongly agree with the "keep moving" philosophy but sure hate to miss skiing where and when I want to.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Pete, there are lots of things to try. Everyone's body chemistry is different, so no telling what will work for you.

Here is a listing of alternative treatments for arthritis from a reputable source: https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/store/health-guides/alternatives-for-arthritis/

CBD (cannabidiol) from hemp or cannabis may be a help. It treats inflammation and pain. Idaho is in the dark ages regarding hemp and medical marijuana, so tread lightly.

If you go to Canada, check out the Voltaren gel in pharmacies. It is about C$18 there and US$85 here. Rub it on, pain goes away. The active ingredient is diclofenac, a strong anti inflammatory. Otherwise, ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve), add acetaminophen (Tylenol) to get added kick, both at label dosages. Go upscale with Rx diclonefac (Voltaren), meloxicam (Mobic), or celecoxib (Celebrex). A cortisone shot helps some. The artificial synovial fluid injections of hyaluronic acid products...Synvisc, Euflexxa, Orthovisc, etc....help some (helped me for years until it didn't). I got an injection of my bone marrow stem cells into my knees last July. Big improvement, not 100%. Don't get the stem cell injections from amniotic fluid nor umbilical cord fluid; those are dead stem cells due to the treatment to prevent infection. Get only stem cells from your own body. (My knee isn't bad enough for a replacement, and I'm allergic to the strong anti inflammatories, so I did the stem cells 'cuz nothing else was working.)

When the time is right, get a knee replacement.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I might have posted this before, but....

rolling over a baseball on the floor does amazing things for sciatic and back issues.

I actually use a lacross ball, but I doubt that makes a difference.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Coming late to the party...

I’m not old enough to have much pure age related aches and pains.

ALL my aches and pains can be traced back to residual issues from earlier injuries!

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I almost called this Growing Pains, but thats not really what this is about.

So, here it is, I haven't had any major crashes that have injured my body,(other than the bike crash with broken ribs 6 years ago) but I've had a few tweaky things happen, like a double eject in a powder pile with a little extra streaaaaaach of my calf muscle. I've also extended my arm a bit too much during a "save" and feel an extra pain in my elbow.
I'm finding a twinge in my knee from time to time and my hip aches, (which I relate to the LLD and lack of lift in many of my shoes)

Is this all a compilation of aging and stuff you just have to deal with, or is there a way to eliminate these aging pains? :huh:

I can only imagine how much the young guns who've had serious injuries are going to be feeling it when they're my age, considering that I haven't really beaten my body up like they have.

Tricia,
I read you post, glanced at a few others and decided too much to read so I apologize if this has been stated already. Sorry this is so long.

To the part in bold. Yes, yes and yes.

I will preface the following with I suck at following my own advice as well as I should, but I try to follow it. Like most, life keeps getting in the way. This is what I have figured out, much of it the hard way and almost all of it I wish I knew 20 years earlier.

As far as aging, I think we do start feeling it more but for most of us, it means, or at least could mean, a few more stretching exercises and a longer warm up and it takes a bit more time to get up from sitting on the floor for some reason. I can swim a mile, lift weights, do yoga, alpine race, do a 45 minute workout at Title Boxing (8 rounds of hitting the heavy bag) and still when I go to get up from the floor, all I can think is "You old f***. Get up already!" It doesn't hurt. Just takes a couple extra moves and a little more time to achieve it. Maybe this is my comeuppance for the life I've lead and impolite things I said to older people when I was younger.

Like anything in life, it isn't what happens that defines you but how you deal with it. You can go down quietly or fighting. I've chosen to fight. The strategy for this fight is to stay in front of it. Eat right, take care of your entire body all the time (not just when something hurts) and get your mind right. I suck at all three of them. Dream about having Oprah money so I can just workout and meditate all day and have a personal chef that only serves me healthy food and always pairs the wine right ogsmile

I'm guessing the "Younger Next Year" book has been brought up. If not, give it a look. Some folks don't like it. Mostly it seems to be the woman I've talked to about it that don't care for it. Could be that the first one was written for men and they then modified a version for women, but it was still written by men. Not sure. I could also be that it's the same phenomenon when people want to quit smoking but they aren't ready to. They don't want to smoke but their desire to have a cigarette is stronger than their desire to quit, so no matter what they do, they go back to smoking. If someone wants to be healthy, but isn't ready or willing to spend time everyday working at it and not eating crap, they won't improve their health.

Anyway, I think the way to "deal" with it is to not accept aging at face value. Strive to be the exception. Strive to be the person that people look at in the future and say, "I hope I can still do that when I'm (insert age)". You have to temper this with yes you can do this, but you have to be reasonable. If you aren't 20, you shouldn't think you can perform or recover like you could at 20. There is a reason in the WC mid 30s is considered old. Even in the military, I think it was at 46 y/o you became a non-combatant. Too old and slow to endure the rigors of combat. I retired at 38 y/o and they called me "pops" and "grampa" and I was struggling to keep up even though I was in great shape. One day it hit me that as I was struggling to keep up after a good nights sleep that most of the Marines I was trying to keep up with had been out partying the night before and were hungover. Ouch! 6 months later I was retired.

My mistake was accepting this. I didn't quit on myself and stayed in fairly good shape, but I accepted being over the hill and moved on. What I could have done was come up with a new strategy. There were a few other reasons to get out that would have driven me to retire even if the physical aspects weren't getting to me, so the outcome of retiring would have been the same, but my mental outlook had shifted. In my head (at the time), I was officially old. Don't do that.

I say don't do that because once I retired, which really means go get another job so you can afford to feed your family, I joined the civilian work force and enjoyed aging. I kind of sort of worked out, but learned to love all the free pastries and donuts that corporate life brought. Since I was no longer being graded on my physical abilities but only mental, and many of the people I worked with were in waaaaayyyy worse shape than me, I felt I was still ahead of the curve. As things got harder to do and I became chubby, I kept telling myself, "that's part of aging - stay the course." I couldn't have been more wrong. Injuries aside, how you feel is directly related to how much effort you are willing to put into feeling well. This goes for your mind as well as body.

As far as dealing with the aches and pains, I found that medicine should only be used temporarily. I take motrin when I have to because of an injury or for some reason, I just don't want to deal with whatever ache or pain that day. Usually it's because I'm doing a clinic or an exam and need to perform well. For the rest, as long as I do my daily yoga and now and again through the day take a moment or two to address something, I don't usually need meds. When I first retired, I was getting two to three migraines per week. I was living on some pretty strong medicines. Taking care of my body has kept me migraine free for over two years and the five years before that I probably only had one or two per year. Yoga and meditating are the biggest contributors to that. I side dose of wine seems to be beneficial too. I had spent years on some pretty strong drugs and were times my wife couldn't wake me in the night because I was so out of it from the meds. Not the way to live.

I can't say enough about PT. I've been in this body for 58 years and every now and again I'll be at PT and they'll tell me my movement pattern is wrong. WTF! How can I not know how to use my shoulders after having them for so long? Or as I've found out the hard way, things I thought were normal aging aren't and was told "No. At your age, you should still be able to do this." :eek: That is also why I say to not accept aches in pains as part of aging. Those oddball aches and pains creep in slowing but surely. Next thing you know a certain movement hurts and you don't know why. Must be aging, right? In some ways it is, because they seem to only happen as we age, but that doesn't mean we should accept them. I would recommend a functional movement test by a PT certified to do one. You have to peel back the onion a few layers and get to the root cause. Then you can build it back to (hopefully) being pain free. This by the way is no easy task, or at least hasn't been for me. I have to work at it daily.

One thing is for sure; aging is high maintenance. Even though, still beats the alternative ogwink Art Linkletter was right. He wrote a book called "Old Age Is Not For Sissies". Granted it doesn't talk much about the physical aspects of aging, but the title is still correct.

Then there is dealing with old injuries and abnormalities. Those seem to require special attention. They can limit us, or cause us to compensate, shift direction or maybe even pick a different sport, but they should never ever stop us.

Sorry this is so long. It has actually been therapeutic for me and you'll find out why in my next thread.

Ken

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At the recent Gathering, I enjoyed skiing one more, and then one more, and yet one more run with @Unpiste , who is about 1/2 my age, after everyone else retired to the patio for early beers.

And a couple days later, skiing with @cosmoliu he enjoyed pointing out that he is 5 years older than I am.

One thing that does seem to be unavoidable, though, is the OMG-- old man grunt -- when you drop onto the chairlift or get up from your bar stool. We started calling out the 40-year olds on it, though.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At the recent Gathering, I enjoyed skiing one more, and then one more, and yet one more run with @Unpiste , who is about 1/2 my age, after everyone else retired to the patio for early beers.

And a couple days later, skiing with @cosmoliu he enjoyed pointing out that he is 5 years older than I am.

One thing that does seem to be unavoidable, though, is the OMG-- old man grunt -- when you drop onto the chairlift or get up from your bar stool. We started calling out the 40-year olds on it, though.

That is a sign that you are pushing your physical limits. Try dialing it back to about 50 to 60% of your physical limit.
Think "Sustainability" rather than "Endurance."

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
About this aging thing, Gwen and I skied 70+ and 110+ days in the 20116-17 season an ages 78 and 82. We knew we were facing the time when we wouldn't be able to keep it up, but thought we'd have more time on the hill for some years to come. Then bang! cancer comes from nowhere and Gwen is gone Nov 14th. I've had bouts of gout and sciatica along with rotator cuff knee repair in the past but kept going. Grief and leg pain made skiing in 2017-18 doubtful. The leg pain escalated until I got a spinal injection, which helped though by then the right leg was really weak. Then my plumbing system went bad so skiing is not gonna happen even for a day to two this season. The point is, aging is on its way for all of us, even if we take care of ourselves as Gwen did. Enjoy it while you can. I still consider myself a skier and hope to Hell I can get back to actually doing it next season. If I can't I'll just continue to do posting analysis here on Pugksi, and keep my eyes open for another pair of skis to use during a hoped for recovery season.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
About this aging thing, Gwen and I skied 70+ and 110+ days in the 20116-17 season an ages 78 and 82. We knew we were facing the time when we wouldn't be able to keep it up, but thought we'd have more time on the hill for some years to come. Then bang! cancer comes from nowhere and Gwen is gone Nov 14th. I've had bouts of gout and sciatica along with rotator cuff knee repair in the past but kept going. Grief and leg pain made skiing in 2017-18 doubtful. The leg pain escalated until I got a spinal injection, which helped though by then the right leg was really weak. Then my plumbing system went bad so skiing is not gonna happen even for a day to two this season. The point is, aging is on its way for all of us, even if we take care of ourselves as Gwen did. Enjoy it while you can. I still consider myself a skier and hope to Hell I can get back to actually doing it next season. If I can't I'll just continue to do posting analysis here on Pugksi, and keep my eyes open for another pair of skis to use during a hoped for recovery season.

I am sorry to hear of your loss and your health problems.

There is a certain "whistling past the graveyard" among those of us from the "young old" demographic. And we do enjoy laughing at the 40 and 50 year olds who complain about gettting old.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Up until I hit 61yrs I skied like I was an old ex racer trying to re-live his youth. I'd put a lot of my quads into my carves and would always seek to get that extra speed & acceleration out of turns. But around the time I hit 61 it became harder & harder for me to do this all day - despite the fact that I have always stuck with a pretty comprehensive workout habit year round. I'm 64 now. Early last season I was completely burning up my quads in just a couple hours. So, last season, I made my goal to make my ski technique much more efficient & I've kept that goal since. Wish I would have decided to do this this years earlier. It has really helped. I'm skiing better than before and I can ski a much longer day.

I have some knee and hip/sacroiliac issues, mostly due to other sports injuries when I was young. I manage the issues through exercises that target my core, legs & the problem areas - 4-5 days a week year round (I count a ski day as an exercise day). I also follow a strict habit of specific exercises the evening before I ski, to address the trouble areas & wake-up/tone the key muscle groups.

Since I hit 61yrs, I've found that the key skiing muscle groups (core, quads, etc) will start to lose fitness rapidly after 3 consecutive days of skipping my exercise routine AND not remaining active (like skiing, biking, hiking). And my problem areas (knee, hip) start getting grumpy if I'm inactive for too many days. If I skip for a couple weeks & then re-start my exercise habit, it's almost like I'm starting from scratch & it can take 3-4 weeks for me to get back. From what I've learned over the years, all of this is pretty much par-for-the-course for aging sports enthusiasts. The old adage "use or lose it" is so true.

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Including The Gathering, I've skied 13 of the last 15 days. But I have to admit that I feel it a bit more this year than last. Not only did I like pointing out to @mdf that I'm 5 years his senior, I particularly relish telling other ski partners that I am often 40+ years their senior. However, on the seemingly inevitable hikes, I justify bringing up the rear with "Did I happen to mention earlier that I'm sixty-X? " Equipment and technique go a long way toward leveling the playing field. But, there's no substitute for young lungs.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You old people are making it hard to complain about being old!

Today I shared a lift ride with a guy telling me stories about when he raced back when he was in his 70s. Sounded like the only reason he gave it up was he didn’t like losing. Definitely wasn’t going to complain about my aches and pains to him.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun, informative thread. Based on various posts, I've ordered the YNY book (too late for me at 59?!) and some arnica tablets.

A few mostly tongue-in-cheek observations:

Landed a jump kind of hard near the end of the LZ and felt a POP! in my chest as I compressed.. felt like a bullet hit me, lost my breath for a moment.

Not sure how old you are, but when I turned 50, I dropped Corbets and did the "big" terrain park at Mt. Hood Meadows, and called it a career in terms of jumping. My knees and back thank me.

In case a book doesn't quite cover all the needed repairs - some very interesting papers came out earlier this week
http://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(17)30246-5

Do notice the regained hair.

Only mildly cynical observation : I am absolutely certain that informal human cyclist trials will be under way by this time next year.

Froome and Sky have already placed bulk orders.

I call those "Dad Sounds" and my two younger sisters call me out whenever I make them (their time will come -- soon).

I'm 64 now. Early last season I was completely burning up my quads in just a couple hours. So, last season, I made my goal to make my ski technique much more efficient & I've kept that goal since. Wish I would have decided to do this this years earlier. It has really helped. I'm skiing better than before and I can ski a much longer day.

I did the same at 55. Was having a tough year in terms of knees, and decided to become the laziest skier on the mountain, and "flow like water". Turns out, I love that approach. Zipper line through bumps? Nope.

Keep the good info coming!

Kiki

Dreams are the touchstones of our characters
Skier
30 some years of being an inactive bookworm has not leveraged me well for the current "season" of my life.
Now, In the summer, its my elbows and wrists and shoulders and back that twinge at me (golf).
And all winter....
My knees. My knees. My knees.
And I'm still early 40's!
I sure hope I toughen up!!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
@ 66 I'm on a quest to reach my personal best skill level. It's been a tough road but very rewarding. So far no big fails or injuries. I can only maintain a certain level of skiing for 3 hrs before I need a drink I mean break. Yep I'm going out in flames. You never know when the game is over.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I did the same at 55. Was having a tough year in terms of knees, and decided to become the laziest skier on the mountain, and "flow like water". Turns out, I love that approach. Zipper line through bumps? Nope.

And all winter....
My knees. My knees. My knees.
And I'm still early 40's!

There is your answer.

Sponsor

Staff online