• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
At Snowmass, after skiing a couple of dreamy runs through Hanging Valley, I was poking around the runs off the Elk Camp lift. On the map the Burnt Mtn. Glades looked promising. I don't normally hike much, but this was a walk not a climb to some sweet and relatively untracked terrain. Immediately I knew the hike in was worth it. I skied through glades and open areas in back-countrylike conditions with only a few others also hooting and laughing with all the still-fresh snow.
At some point I decided to head skier's left into the trees. I didn't duck any ropes or pass any closed signs, but quickly mine were the only skis that had tracked through here in a long, long time. For good reason. Eventually the slope ran out of pitch and my skis ran out of momentum. I scanned around and saw, in the distance, a chairlift. Between me and that lift was what looked like a creekbed covered in snow.
Truly stuck, I took off my skis, tossed them into the snow ahead of me and tried to crawl to them. I knew I was not standing on anything solid, so I made that first movement gingerly. I sank slightly instead of moving toward my skis. I had been standing up to my waist. Now I was up to my shoulders. I crossed my poles, but they sank together into the deep snow, giving me no purchase.
This was my closest personal encounter with the danger of non-avalanche related submersion in deep snow. I focused on figuring my way out of my self-induced predicament. I thought about using my skis and poles together. I placed my skis vertically in the snow with the base facing me, tips up. My poles I put on the top side of the toe binding, giving me much greater leverage and yielding immediate progress followed by more laughing at myself. At four inches a go, I was happy to be in the sun on top of the snow crawling toward the Two Creeks lift.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Never take off your skis whether the snow is too deep or too steep as they may be the only thing keeping you there. I went too far left off Long Shot into untracked in 2014 at Snowmass into what I later learned is called the Mushroom Patch. I kept going left, slogging through a couple of feet of new snow and crossing a couple of ravines - going right may have gotten me out of there faster. I re-joined runs after about 45 minutes. See https://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11252&p=70833 for some details.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
always wanted to walk up to the left at the top of the EC lift. probably will do so next time.
TOTALLY worth it. Longshot is a combo of one of the most fun/long blue runs that you will do anywhere. I'm dragging my kid to Snowmass in March (driving from Dillon for the day) just so I can get another run in on that. Ok, I still have to do Cirque and Hanging Valley for him, but Longshot is for me.

TS
Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Never take off your skis whether the snow is too deep or too steep as they may be the only thing keeping you there.
Thanks. I'll remember that next time.
I realize I was lucky to get out of a foolhardy predicament unscathed. God watches over drunks and fools, they say. I was sober.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I can't think of one good reason to take off the skis. Not One.

Sponsor

Staff online