• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

No Name Ski

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I was wondering how many of us would buy a ski that had no manufactures name or well known graphic on the ski? The only markings would be an ID of what the ski is made to do, SL, GS, Groomed, Park, or Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, the size of the ski and the mounting point. It would only come in one color but you would be able to pick that color for your ski

So tell me what you think and what color would pick?.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
DPS makes some great monotone skis and even look at the new Foundation collection, some of the cleanest graphics for 2017 and you pick them pretty much by color...
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_9356.jpg

I have always felt less is more when it comes to graphics. The Ski, for one. But getting to your point, Nordica did something similar when they first came out with thir skis back in the 90's, monotone graphics with just a N on the tip. We talk about this but also think how many skis just have a wood graphic and most think they look clean and timeless.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I just spent $100 on a ski from an out of business company that only had 2-3 reviews I could find on the internet in English. The reviews weren't good at all, but the ski fills a huge hole in my quiver and came cheap. When it arrives, I'll take a look and tune it up best I can, mount some bindings. and give it a whirl anyway. It's fairly often that I really like things others hate.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I generally buy a ski because of it's performance, not it's colour or graphics. But I would also NOT buy a ski that I can't stand the graphic. Pretty flowers or skulls really turn me off. So yes I would buy a tuned down slalom racer in solid colour.

So I really like those DPS.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That was the whole concept of TheSki. Simple graphics. No name. If you knew, you knew.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I know a few people that will sand a ski down and create their own topsheet graphics with tape, an exacto knife, and several iterations of spray painting.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I know a few people that will sand a ski down and create their own topsheet graphics with tape, an exacto knife, and several iterations of spray painting.

That might be my summer project for my AT skis, which I love, but ew:
Salomon-Q105-ski.jpg

I was thinking duct tape topsheet might be fun, but that might add too much weight.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was thinking duct tape topsheet might be fun, but that might add too much weight.

Might also affect the flex a little if you add a layer of thick duct tape to the entire top of the ski, almost like another laminated layer?? There is now cheaper, thinner duct tape out there. I'd go with that for this approach.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Forget duct tape.

Plasti-Dip is where it's at.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

...and yes, it works just fine on helmets too.

...and yes, you can peel it off in 6 months or so with minimal effort.

...and yes, you can put a shinier more water repellent finish on it 4 the beady shinies

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon-Q105-ski.jpg

Go to Fast Signs or somewhere similar and get vinyl to lay over the top. You can do solid color or design your own graphics. Very little weight and custom.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I thought that a paint that changed color by heating. Heat it to one temp and it turns red, a different temp and it is yellow, yet another temp and it is blue etc.. The customer tells the shop what color that they want and the shop does the heat treatment but it is a one time deal. Customers can drive you crazy if you give them too many options.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I saw some vinyl strips with plain and generic striped patterns advertised/designed to go on ski topsheets somewhere on eBay the other day.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Forget duct tape.

Plasti-Dip is where it's at.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

...and yes, it works just fine on helmets too.

...and yes, you can peel it off in 6 months or so with minimal effort.

...and yes, you can put a shinier more water repellent finish on it 4 the beady shinies

Car? I don't think so. Now the bike frame I am getting ready to paint? Oh, yeah, gotta look into that.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Nordica did something similar when they first came out with thir skis back in the 90's, monotone graphics with just a N on the tip. We talk about this but also think how many skis just have a wood graphic and most think they look clean and timeless.

I still have their bright yellow touring skis with the tiny red Nordica on the shovel and the carabiner tips.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
DPS makes some great monotone skis and even look at the new Foundation collection, some of the cleanest graphics for 2017 and you pick them pretty much by color...
View attachment 9422 View attachment 9423

I recognize DPSes from a mile away, so I don't think they're really flying under the radar just because they use a single color. I'm still biting my hand in desire/agony every time I look at those purple ones. Also the logo isn't really small.

@Freaq I believe.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was wondering how many of us would buy a ski that had no manufactures name or well known graphic on the ski? The only markings would be an ID of what the ski is made to do, SL, GS, Groomed, Park, or Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, the size of the ski and the mounting point. It would only come in one color but you would be able to pick that color for your ski

So tell me what you think and what color would pick?.

I would buy it in a minute if it skied like a Renoun. I'd get black, orange or blue.