• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nissan S14 build for my son

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
So we started a build a couple of weeks ago for my son, who is 13 yo. He has for years talked about wanting a 240sx (S14). We are going to obviously swap the powerplant. Being ford guys, and my love for fixing up old sn95 cobra's. He would love to get his mitts on this car but, that is dad's garage queen. He wanted to put a 4.6 cobra motor in it, I just so happen to know where one is at. He and I both talked about what he wants in a car. He wants drive ability for street and the random auto-x run. This is NOT going to a drift car. So we compromised, I am not worried about the HP of cobra motor (305 bhp/ 300 ftlbs). I was worried about the weight. We are going to swap in a 2.3l ecoboost (310 bhp / 350 ftlbs) with a 10 spd auto. We have access to a extremely well known engine swap guy. Also ford makes a stand alone harness for this engine as well, big help right there.
20180618_101612v2.jpg
Well his sister has taken the lincoln now and I have the spare shop space. So we found a s14 locally in great shape. We got it to the businesses shop and started to tear it down. The first day we gutted the car, front to back and the interior.
20200731_102547.jpg

20200731_134452.jpg

(pic is after degreasing the engine bay, he is blowing the water out of the crevices)
The next day we pushed her up on the quick lift and got to work. We prepped the engine bay, by sanding and priming. We found 0 rust up top, and I was eagerly waiting to get under the car to check for rust on the bottom. Once on the lift , we checked out the underbody. ZERO rust!!! Yeah, we have a solid shell.

So we started painting the engine bay , ford blue. He went a little crazy painting, its his car though.

20200801_160628.jpg
20200801_160716.jpg

Next steps are to reinstall the limited slip diff, and half shafts after refurbish the diff. Then we get to install the coil overs and wilwood brakes. Once that gets done, it will be sent off the race shop to get the engine mounted. My goal with the swap is/was to make the car as balanced as possible. The 2.3 eco is actually lighter than the KA24de that came out of it by 60 lbs and the fatory weight is 52%/48%. When the swap the engine we are going for a 50/50 car. This car should turn, go and stop great.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, you are putting the 2.3 Ecobost in the 240? The Cobra at the top is confusing me.

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
So, you are putting the 2.3 Ecobost in the 240? The Cobra at the top is confusing me.
yes we are putting a 2.3 eco in.. The cobra at the top is mine and he wants it. Its my garage queen 60k all original (except spoiler and wheels)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
When I was 14 my uncle (also in Edmond) had a Mustang Cobra II. Coincidentally, this was the most bad assed Japanese import at that time..
1597344404011.png

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Pretty excited, we got the guy we wanted to do the install. He has some pretty good credentials. Gt series national champ, a guy that works directly with Ford performance and he's local.

Last edited:
TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
My son and I just left the race shop and the guy then came to ours. He has accepted the build. It will go to him in November. Since he is a ford performance guy and we are building this for my son. He also has a son at 11. He threw out an idea, which was something that I was going to ask about. He wants me to buy a full wrecked mustang. That way we can use the full ecu, while taking the abs system, trac control and stability. He is also going to try to make the my key system to work as well. If it doesn't he is just going to dyno tune a detuned tune for driving around.

Anyone have a wrecked s550 mustang 2.3l with a 10 speed

This is the guy that is doing the running gear and helping us with any questions.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How do you insure a FrankenNissanStang? I guess it's old enough so state inspections won't be impossible should he move it to California or some other high regulation state? I had to get rid of my highly modified Trans Am when I moved to Texas and lost my state inspection connection I had back in New York (next door neighbor had a shop).

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
How do you insure a FrankenNissanStang? I guess it's old enough so state inspections won't be impossible should he move it to California or some other high regulation state? I had to get rid of my highly modified Trans Am when I moved to Texas and lost my state inspection connection I had back in New York (next door neighbor had a shop).
Well we do not have inspections for one. Secondly the inspection angle is why, I was so hell bent at getting someone that will do it correctly and not just move the K member and call it good. More on the tech inspection side.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online