• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nine Weeks A Ski Bum (Part Two)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nine Weeks a Ski Bum (Part Two)

By Jim Kenney

November 27, 2015

Highlights

Certainly, connecting with old friends around the country and meeting new ones by networking via online ski sites/forums greatly enriched the trip. A friendly couple I knew from the Washington DC area gave me a great two-day tour of The Canyons in Utah including my first home cooked dinner in weeks at their slopeside home. I spent four nice days with another old friend at Kirkwood, CA. I met new friends at several resorts in Colorado and they showed me the goods on and off the slopes.

I had a great time with a group of approximately 70 people from the EpicSki.com website at a big gathering at Jackson Hole in late February. This was my first time at Jackson and first time at such a large national Gathering of online ski friends. It's almost like going to a trade show except the conference hall is a great ski mountain and the product being pushed by everyone is nothing but FUN.

Jackson Hole photo sequence:
LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

Moving on from the Jackson photo digression...believe it or not, I really enjoyed several big driving days relocating from one state to
another. I welcomed them as highly scenic rest days from skiing.

Driving past the Bonneville Salt Flats west of Salt Lake City.
900x900px-LL-a3660ab1_CopyofDSCN6044.jpeg

The biggest highlight of the trip was when my wife joined me in a condo we rented for the entire month of March in Summit County, CO. Skiing all day and romance all night. Well, sort of. As a geezer I had to pace myself, but we really enjoyed the stability of staying in one place for an extended period. We also hosted friends and our three daughters at the condo during some of that time. With the Vail Resorts EpicPass there is a ton of skiing variety in that part of Colorado and I figured out how to conveniently visit each ski area on the pass with minimal hassle.

It was really great to have my three adult daughters join my wife and I in Colorado.
900x900px-LL-c4f4866a_CopyofDSCN9815.jpeg

Other miscellaneous highlights: Ash Wednesday services in the exceedingly beautiful St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church in Park City, sampling a different delicious bottle of California wine every evening at Kirkwood provided by and shared with an old ski buddy, skiing great terrain like the Lake Chutes and E-Chair at Breckenridge, and checking out Blue Sky Basin for the first time.

Had a memorable run with this friend in the Lake Chutes (Zoot Chute) at Breckenridge.

Blue Sky Basin at Vail.
LL

Exiting Stone Creek Chutes area at Beaver Creek.

Viewing the Tetons from the summit of Jackson Hole’s Rendezvous Mountain (elevation 10, 450’).
LL

Tiptoeing past a juvenile moose one morning just outside the door of my accommodations in Jackson, Wyoming.
900x900px-LL-4b285f2a_CopyofDSCN8211.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January