• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nikon is entering the action cam market with a 360

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think we need one of them to test. @DoryBreaux, what do you think?

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I think 360 video is going to become the next action cam or drone craze; everyone can get their hands on the tech so its going to become clechied (like my spelling) and the interwebs is going to become oversaturated with it. My issue with it is that it means the "creator" doesn't really need to be able to do much more than hold the camera steady (and by that I mean buy a $300 chicken head stabilizer), which to me means they have to do.... nothing.
I think the tech behind it is really cool, although not that complex. I'm oldschool though; if I could afford to shoot everything on 35mm motion picture film I would.

And yes, @Philpug, we need some to test out :-D

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
It may over saturate, but people with talent will always prevail. Tech may allow an easier entry, but it only further separates the gifted. Ex: Dslrs make taking a picture easy, but it doesn't mean my 10,000 dollars worth of gear will ensure that picture is of high quality.

TS
quant

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Have you guys seen the stock price of GoPro? The optimistic days of unlimited growth are now over. These devices will get cheaper as sales taper off, although the Nikon should sell at a premium until other 360's come out.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
If you don't have someone to ride in front of you or behind you, the footage will be as boring as standard GoPro drivel. But the VR applications may be very cool. I still don't see a camera that can integrate with the helmet nicely without that "teletubby" silhouette. The Contour came close, but I think they are not doing as well as the GoPro.

TS
quant

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
If you don't have someone to ride in front of you or behind you, the footage will be as boring as standard GoPro drivel. But the VR applications may be very cool. I still don't see a camera that can integrate with the helmet nicely without that "teletubby" silhouette. The Contour came close, but I think they are not doing as well as the GoPro.
Contour wasn't doing as well, went out of business briefly, and then was revived after a capital infusion by Clarke Capital. I still use the old Contour HD. The goggle mount is comfortable and easy to use.

Sponsor