• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
I am hoping to seek feedback for planning our first trip out west. Background: husband and I avid skiers x 25+ years, average 20-30 days on snow per season, season pass holders at Cannon, other favs: Loon, Waterville, Bretton Woods, Killington, & Jay Peak. Our daughter is 12 and totally keeps the pace on the hardest of terrain. Sadly- we have never skied outside of NH/VT/ME/Canada, and my goal for 2018 is to make it happen. Cost is definitely a consideration, I don't need the cheapest plan but certainly a cost efficient one. As a Cannon SP holder (state owned) there is not a partnering mountain option for tickets. One factor to consider- I do have a Southwest Airlines companion pass & oodles of miles, could manage free air fare (Salt Lake, Denver, Boise, Reno/Tahoe, Portland, Seattle). Can anyone recommend a great lodging/ticket package? For comparison, 4 night/5 day lodging & tickets at Jay Peak will cost $1,075 & it includes the waterpark (that makes my daughter happy, but I so miss the days of the old Jay hotel, no frills). I have been searching Google but getting lost in a sea of advertising. Thanks so much! In turn anyone looking to ski NH please feel free to ask!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am hoping to seek feedback for planning our first trip out west. Background: husband and I avid skiers x 25+ years, average 20-30 days on snow per season, season pass holders at Cannon, other favs: Loon, Waterville, Bretton Woods, Killington, & Jay Peak. Our daughter is 12 and totally keeps the pace on the hardest of terrain. Sadly- we have never skied outside of NH/VT/ME/Canada, and my goal for 2018 is to make it happen. Cost is definitely a consideration, I don't need the cheapest plan but certainly a cost efficient one. As a Cannon SP holder (state owned) there is not a partnering mountain option for tickets. One factor to consider- I do have a Southwest Airlines companion pass & oodles of miles, could manage free air fare (Salt Lake, Denver, Boise, Reno/Tahoe, Portland, Seattle). Can anyone recommend a great lodging/ticket package? For comparison, 4 night/5 day lodging & tickets at Jay Peak will cost $1,075 & it includes the waterpark (that makes my daughter happy, but I so miss the days of the old Jay hotel, no frills). I have been searching Google but getting lost in a sea of advertising. Thanks so much! In turn anyone looking to ski NH please feel free to ask!
As a Cannon skier, my gut is that you can get down most anything. A Mountain Collective Pass could be an option which could add some options then you can get a coupld of days at Sugarbush too.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When do you want to go? How picky are you about which resorts? Do you need to stay slopeside or are you willing to commute a few miles from lodging to slopes?

Lots of deals out west in late March/early Apr when things might be getting sloppy at Cannon.
You can often get some good late spring skiing at Loveland, CO and ski with their 159 dollar four packs: http://skiloveland.com/4-pak/
You could add a fifth day by using Liftopia to get a ticket at nearby Arapahoe Basin for about 60ish per day. Could stay at Georgetown Mtn Inn for about 100 per night. or look at motels in Dillon, CO.
Another possibility all season is Brighton Lodge, UT. See here for prices: http://www.brightonresort.com/stay/lodging/

Apologize for raising side topic for PugSki mods:

Maybe there could be a form for questioners to fill out as much as they can when they ask this frequent question about "where should I go for a ski trip", such as:the following to get better advice:

1. What are your highest priorities, preferably by order of importance? Diverse terrain, great snow, lively après-ski scene, spectacular scenery, low budget, low crowds and easy travel access are a few examples.

2. What's your budget; high, medium or low?

3. Do you have a general or specific destination in mind and what kind of terrain do you prefer; steeps, groomers, beginner, trees, bowls, etc?

5. What is the approximate time frame of your trip and number of days? Short trips, long trips, holidays, weekdays, early/late season, or mid-winter have various pros and cons.

6. Do you want slopeside accommodations or are you ok with a short commute to get more for your lodging dollar?

7. Is proximity to a major airport a high priority or is a more remote/exotic destination OK or preferred?

8. Do you have a preferred gateway city such as Denver, SLC, Reno, etc. because of airline loyalty, a friend offering free lodging, or other reasons?

9. Do you like lively/crowded/big mountains or would you consider a smaller, less crowded and perhaps more family friendly mountain?

10. Do you have any special requirements? Some examples would include a resort with a big WOW factor for an anniversary or special occasion, a low altitude resort to aid an elderly companion, a resort with attractions for a non-skier, etc.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Most resorts offer big discounts when purchasing lift tickets on line in advance for specific days. Liftopia handles the transaction.

One place worth checking out is Aspen. While it has a rep for being expensive, that is only if you are buying real estate. The 4 mountains constitute one of the least crowded resorts in the USA. At Snowmass they are doing a multi year $600million reno so before they are torn down, there are some moderately priced 50+year old no frills lodges that are near the main bus stop and only a few hundred foot walk to where you put on your skis and ski to a lift. I think they offer a ski and stay package but I can't remember the lodge names.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you think you prefer a place with 1 resort to stay at and explore or a place with many such as Utah or Summit County, CO.?

I like Jackson Hole for you guys. Conventional wisdom says January is the sweet spot and March is too late.

PS. I too miss the old Hotel Jay.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On a budget , I would head to BC. Canada is 30% off for you guys, SunPeaks , Big White, both are family resorts, with lots of stuff to keep you busy. Sun Peaks maybe better.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Assuming you're flying out of Boston, I'd recommend focusing on nonstop options--changing planes is doable, of course, but it adds hassle, time, and increased odds of a mishap. On Southwest, nonstop from Boston means Denver. And Colorado's a good choice whenever you decide to go.

If you can do the trip before your daughter turns 13, Keystone's free kids skiing deal is a good bet. If you book a room close to the lifts and shuttle (should be doable for around $250-$300 a night) at keystoneresort.com, you get free skiing at Keystone for your daughter and free ice skating for everyone. Then you and your wife get Keystone/A-Basin passes for $369 each (note--if you're going Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Year, MLK Day, or Presidents Day this isn't such a great deal). That gives you flexibility to ski Keystone as much as you want; hop a bus and ski A-Basin with only needing to pay for your daughter's ticket; hop a different bus (or take an Uber) for at least one evening out in Breckenridge, and maybe a day skiing there (you and your wife get half price tickets). A shuttle from the Denver airport to your lodging at Keystone should be around $50 each round-trip. This ends up being a very reasonably-priced trip for slopeside lodging at a major destination resort that should offer plenty of fun, with options for adventuring around if the money and time is there. And since a trip to Keystone would be more expensive after your daughter turns 13, I think it's worth doing this year... lots of the other good suggestions in this thread will be good ideas for future trips.

I'd recommend booking more than 4 nights if you can swing it, regardless of where you go out west--transit times will definitely eat into your arrival and departure days, and you want to make it worth the trip. On a deal like the Keystone/A-Basin pass, the farther you stretch it the more value you're getting.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mainer here. I was where you are, ten years ago. You will be making a lot of adjustments. They'll all be very welcome (ogwink) except one: altitude. Don't underestimate how much this may slow you down. It may NOT, in which case you are lucky. But more commonly at least one person in a party is knocked back a bit. I know I always am ... especially in Summit County. For that reason I would actually not recommend Loveland or A-Basin for a family's first trip west. Those areas are just stupid high; don't borrow trouble.

You will have a great time, for sure.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
There are many options that would likely work out just fine, depending on the weather and conditions. There is no "best place". February is the best month because a warm spell is unlikely, but of course it could be cold, nothing that you aren't already use to dealing with).
Two options I am very familiar with are Salt Lake and Denver - if you like, you could ski a different resort each day.

For Salt Lake stay in Sandy/Midvale. I've stayed in Midvale La Quinta many times(back again this year) and it's about $70/nt w/ breakfast. Technically you could get one room, rent a car for $30/day and drive 30-40 minutes to one of the four Cottonwood resorts. Brighton/Solitude will be cheaper and are fine, but don't miss a day at either Snowbird/Alta. Not sure about SW schedules, but you might be able to ski 1/2 day coming and/or going to save lodging and days off work. Hotel is a little less than 30 minutes from airport. The Cottonwood resorts have the Greatest Snow on Earth, as they say, and the most dependable conditions, which is makes a good trip great.

You could fly into Denver and stay in Frisco/Silverthorne. You would probably pay more and get less for a hotel room. Or you could check VBRO etc and see what you come up with. Hotel is 2-2.5hrs from airport but you have to suffer through Denver traffic for an hour. From hotel you can ski Keystone, Breck and Copper. Budget options are Loveland and A-Basin which are absolutely great big resorts, tickets cost less with a little less frills. You might be able to ski 1/2 day going home with late flight.

Someone above mentioned Canada. Great option if you can swing it. Fly to Calgary and drive 2 hrs to Banff (not sure about hotel costs) ski Lake Louise, Sunshine Village and maybe Kicking Horse. Could be very cold though. Check out the exchange rate.

Last edited:

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
If budget is key and you're flying Southwest, focus on the Denver or SLC resorts. Research and see what you like.

If you're going to a Denver area resort, you'll want to purchase a 4 pack or season pass NOW. If budget is a concern, forget about buying tix at the window "day-of" unless you're happy dropping $150-200/ day. A 4 pack for A Basin and Keystone is $209. A Winter Park 4 pack is $189.

IMO, Utah is generally much better skiing wise. If you grab the lift tickets in the local ski shops you'll spend about $80/day. As earlier stated, you'll want to drive from SLC to the mountains each day. The upside is it's easy to ski multiple mountains. The downside is you don't get the ski village atmosphere.

In summary- Colorado is better for the village scene, Utah is better for the skiing.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
With your ski ability and the plethora of options/deals/flights you're gonna have a great time.

Just for fun I'll recommend Copper Mountain in Colorado. It's not as busy as others, has some nice long runs (Superbee lift), good ungroomed runs, good snow preservation, and separation from beginners. And like anyplace in Summit County I expect they have plenty of deals that combine lift tickets w lodging.

If you're looking for something cheaper in CO you can stay at a hotel or VRBO rental in Frisco/Dillon and ski Loveland or A-Baisin. If you're looking for more you can go to Steamboat or Aspen. And if you're willing to wait a while to pull the trigger you can see which part of North America gets the best snow and go there.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Check out the mountain collective pass. If you come to UT you get 2 days at each of the three best UT ski areas Alta, Snowbasin, and Snowbird. These ski areas are geographically distributed and most itineraries require a rental car and a would involve a stay at hotels in the valley which range from dirtbag chic to 5*.

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Thank you all for taking the time to comment on my post- I am overwhelmed in a giddy way & totally excited to look into your suggestions! Jim Kenney made a great point about including specifics to pinpoint what I am looking for, so I will add, but seriously you all have some great suggestions & I am so appreciative
1- highest priority, solid steep groomers & wow me with open powder- Ive never seen it! We ski hard from first-last chair, my après ski style is one beer & im out for the night- lol
2- budget low/medium, Im willing to spend extra where it counts, but also to cut back on areas where it doesnt matter. Example- clean hotel room & basic rental car no frills needed, but I ski Kastles & if I dont travel with mine I will pay a premium for high performance rentals
3- destination would like to maximize Southwest airline miles/ free airfair. Terraine/ i like hard pack steep groomers In the east & flirting off piste in the trees, i want a true west experience & am open for anything
4-
5- timeframe 3-5 days skiing, max 5-7 days travel. Flexible from Jan-April, avoiding MLK weekend & last week of Feb due to other plans. No preference if midweek or weekend or combo of both. Would utilize non ski days to snowshoe & just explore the area.
6- prefer commute vs slopeside so that we can explore areas outside of resort.
7- i would say 2.5 hour max from airport is preferred, thats my max for day ski trip from home
8- preferred gateway is any city that SW flys to. Listed in OP & can also add Spokane- thanks Sibhusky! SW does not fly to Canada, not sure how far north from Spokane/Seatlle mountains are
9- would totally consider smaller mountains/ hence I have a season pass to Cannon & not Loon (although Ripsaw is by far my favorite trail ever).
10- no WOW factor (unless I magically score Hamilton tickets for SLC or Denver) no non skiers, altitude is a consideration (asthma) and Tony S mentioned this, Thank you as that hadnt crossed my mind.
11- honestly we just love to ski, I have as much fun at a mom pop type beginner hill with the kids as I do on the sickest of trails. Its like being happy at a baseball game regardless if you have the best seats or are in the bleachers.

Thanks again!

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just want to add this along with all the great advice above. Not sure how close you live to Boston but the ski expo is coming up. I mention this because last year Telluride had a pass offer only available at an event they attended. Not sure if other resorts do something similar but it is something to consider. I did notice that it appears Telluride won't be in attendance for the show in Boston this year.

Anyway you can go here and see the list of resorts. If you see one that interests you might consider calling and asking if they will have anything special not available thru their website or by phone.

https://www.skisnowexpo.com/exhibitor-list-boston

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If it’s powder you want, your chances of catching some are greater in the SLC resorts. But...the crowds come out on a powder day, so get there early. Or just go to Solitude on those days.