• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Hi all- been a while since I've posted but I'm here & stoked to plan my 19/20 season! I am mixing it up this season & decided as a NH girl its time to fully ski every alpine area big & small in the state. I have full freedom, not tied to any season passes, and creative ideas to maximize weekends, night skiing, & vacation days. Is anything missing? If there is snow & a lift ticket it makes the list:) Also any tips on visiting the mountains I'm not as familiar with?

Abenaki- never skied
Attitash- skied a few times in recent years
Black- never skied
Bretton Woods- skied a few times in recent years
Cannon- season pass holder
Cranmore- never skied
Crotched- never skied
Dartmouth Skiway- never skied
Granite Gorge- never skied
Gunstock- skied once years ago
Kanc Rec- season pass holder
King Pine- never skied
Loon- ski regularly
McIntyre- last skied 20+years ago
Sunapee- last skied 20+ years ago
Pats Peak- past season pass holder, love this little mountain where I taught my kids how to ski
Ragged- never skied
Tenney- never skied
Waterville- ski regulary
Whaleback- last skied 20+ years ago
Wildcat- skied a few times in recent years
& the little local spots I just recently learned about....never skied at any of these
Arrowhead, Claremont
Campton
Mt. Eustis, Littleton
Proctors, Andover
Red Hill Ski Club, Moultonborough
Storrs Hill, Lebanon
Veterans Memorial, Franklin

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Storrs Hill, Whaleback, and Dartmouth Skiway can all be done as a group.

Skiway you probably want to make sure to visit on a day both sides of the mountain are open. For the size of the place, the lodge facilities are very nice. Dartmouth money and the ski team help make that a reality. Ask Tsquare about specific intel. I believe he still instructs. They often offer a ticket plus private lesson package on the cheap. Try to avoid the Dartmouth Winter Carnival and Friday afternoon local school groups if you want the lowest crowds and fewest crazy kids.

Depending on how you visits these, if it takes two weekends, consider adding historic Suicide Six in Woodstock VT. Not in NH, but cool place with the history (first rope tow) and town.

Storrs I recall has been offering night skiing—at least I think I saw the hill lit up recently. Whaleback also offer night skiing. Easy ways to sneak in two areas in one day.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Try getting in touch with SkiNH. They may be able to hook you up with contacts at some of the places.

Take pictures and tag locations on social media and if you really visit them all you might get some extra inside help from the smaller spots of you visit them later in the prime of the season.

Sounds like a fun project!

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@frontfive - I love this. I’ve actually been thinking about the same idea for probably 10 years...but never took the idea into action. I can’t think of any others, I think you’ve got all of the ones still operating.

I would love to follow your journey and hear about the little places. Blog it, instagram it, or document on a thread here. Let us know if you do!

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Storrs Hill, Whaleback, and Dartmouth Skiway can all be done as a group.

Skiway you probably want to make sure to visit on a day both sides of the mountain are open. For the size of the place, the lodge facilities are very nice. Dartmouth money and the ski team help make that a reality. Ask Tsquare about specific intel. I believe he still instructs. They often offer a ticket plus private lesson package on the cheap. Try to avoid the Dartmouth Winter Carnival and Friday afternoon local school groups if you want the lowest crowds and fewest crazy kids.

Depending on how you visits these, if it takes two weekends, consider adding historic Suicide Six in Woodstock VT. Not in NH, but cool place with the history (first rope tow) and town.

Storrs I recall has been offering night skiing—at least I think I saw the hill lit up recently. Whaleback also offer night skiing. Easy ways to sneak in two areas in one day.

Excellent intel thank you! Love Suicide Six, fond memories of skiing there back in the day & Woodstock is such a fun little town

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Try getting in touch with SkiNH. They may be able to hook you up with contacts at some of the places.

Take pictures and tag locations on social media and if you really visit them all you might get some extra inside help from the smaller spots of you visit them later in the prime of the season.

Sounds like a fun project!
Great idea! I was thinking of discussing with them at the Boston Ski Expo. I also want to pick up a poster to pin my travels throughout the season. I love the social media idea but realistically not sure if I want to commit to that level.....I'm not a writer, blogger, photographer by any means

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
@frontfive - I love this. I’ve actually been thinking about the same idea for probably 10 years...but never took the idea into action. I can’t think of any others, I think you’ve got all of the ones still operating.

I would love to follow your journey and hear about the little places. Blog it, instagram it, or document on a thread here. Let us know if you do!
Hmmmm.... documenting on a thread here is not a bad idea. I'm not big into social media & very few of my FB friends ski so this might be a better venue. But I'm not a social writer or photographer, I usually just document my year in the notes app on my phone: running total of dates, location skied, companions, & playlist.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Take pics of the interior of the lodge and one spot on the mountain with your cellphone, then post here.
Guaranteed lots of likes! I'll certainly pay attention. I'd love to have a look at all those little hills via PugSki.
And I'm eager to hear of your adventures at each one.

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmmm.... documenting on a thread here is not a bad idea. I'm not big into social media & very few of my FB friends ski so this might be a better venue. But I'm not a social writer or photographer, I usually just document my year in the notes app on my phone: running total of dates, location skied, companions, & playlist.

Doesn’t have to be super detailed or anything. A pic or 5 or none...depending on what you feel like for that day. Then just a couple sentences of “I went to xxx. I liked xxx. I didn’t like xxxx.” You might sometimes find something worth sharing with the world, and sometimes not...no rules about it. And if you don’t want to...no big deal either.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Making a thread, or keeping this one going, can help you out. Even if there are no pics. Just brief intel on what happened and where you are going next.

You might find some folks interested in making a visit with you, a local skier with great intel and discount ticket or lodging ideas, and just some encouragement when long drives and r@!n come about.

Similar to the Lost Ski Areas project, just mentioning where you have been might get some people on here reminiscing about past seasons (or decades) at these small places.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
sounds like an expensive way to ski

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Like your project and will just make a few suggestions.

1. Certainly agree you could knock off Dartmouth,,Whaleback and Storrs together but be aware that on certain days Dartmouth only runs 1 side and you want to hit it when both are open.

2. See you haven't hit Tenney yet but most everything else in the old Ski 93 Group. I would add Mittersill in there as well. Know its part of Cannon but it was solo at one time and with the new lift set up can be skied sort of like it used to. That's one of my projects (to ski the old Ski 93) and document it. Good Luck with yours

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Good point. @frontfive, when you ski Cannon, be sure the lift at Mittersill is open. Also go only if the tram is running. You'll want to experience Cannon fully, when it's at its finest.

Reactions: mdf
TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
The Ride and Ski Card might help save a little $$ on your safari. Also, for Sunapee without an Epic pass, Wednesdays are only $43 bought in advance online, $49 window.
Great tip for Wednesdays! Im totally looking to budget my plan.... Cannon is $25 on Weds too

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
sounds like an expensive way to ski
Yes & no.... its called being creative, Ill bank some passes through the CHAD Warren Miller fundraiser & donation to Friends of Tuckermans Ravine, as well as using promo days. Bretton Woods $17.76 on Patriots Day, Waterville $17 St Paddys or $1 on 4/1. Ski big mountains midweek, etc. And I did not purchase season passes for the fam this year.... due to work/school schedules we will likely only ski as a family a handful of times. Im thinking 75% of the time Ill be skiing solo

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Like your project and will just make a few suggestions.

1. Certainly agree you could knock off Dartmouth,,Whaleback and Storrs together but be aware that on certain days Dartmouth only runs 1 side and you want to hit it when both are open.

2. See you haven't hit Tenney yet but most everything else in the old Ski 93 Group. I would add Mittersill in there as well. Know its part of Cannon but it was solo at one time and with the new lift set up can be skied sort of like it used to. That's one of my projects (to ski the old Ski 93) and document it. Good Luck with yours
Mittersill is my favorite area at Cannon, I could (and have many times) spend the whole day there. Great perspective to list is as separate from Cannon. Im pretty psyched Tenney reopened! I first learned to ski at another small area off 93, Highlands in Canterbury. Its now a mountain bike park

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Good point. @frontfive, when you ski Cannon, be sure the lift at Mittersill is open. Also go only if the tram is running. You'll want to experience Cannon fully, when it's at its finest.
Fantastic tips, Ive been a season pass holder at Cannon for the past 6-7 years.... your advice is spot on:)

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve racked Eustis on to a day at Cannon since it’s only a few more miles up the road.
McIntyre is small, short, and not steep, but skiing right in downtown Manchester so that’s sort of fun. They have NASTAR Tuesday nights.

if you are tracking through the upper valley (Dartmouth, Whaleback, Storrs) put Northeast Slopes on the list.

Sponsor