• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor

Gunstock today #4

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor

KingPine #5

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor

Attitash 12/29, more to come

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor

The Kanc

Trying to keep up, Red Hill, Loon, & Waterville to follow this week

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

The Kanc

Trying to keep up, Red Hill, Loon, & Waterville to follow this week

I was wondering what was The Kanc that you referred to in another thread.

Since you know Lincoln, what would driving 112 in a storm from Lincoln to Conway be like? I barely know NH.

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor

Since you know Lincoln, what would driving 112 in a storm from Lincoln to Conway be like? I barely know NH.
Not advisable... reroute up to 302 & cross that way- will add about 40 minutes but worth it. Kanc in seriously weather is like go off the side of a mountain & be lucky if your remains are found by a wayward hiker in spring. Big snow dumps can close the road at either end, not a place Id want to get trapped on. Now in clear weather, its the most beautiful spectacular scenic highway you will ever drive on!

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Sorry, I should provide a little clarification as locals use the Kanc in many contexts
1) The Kanc Recreation Area is the ski hill
2) The Kanc is slang for Rt 112 the Kancamagus Highway
3) Kanc Pass is the highest point of the Kanc highway, lookout spot located near a hairpin turn
4) Big Kanc or Mount Kanc refers to Mount Kancamagus, located near Kanc Pass on the Kanc Highway
5) Kancamagus (pronounced Kanc-ah-mah-gus) grandson of Passaconaway was the last chief of the Pennecook Confederacy Indians. He moved his tribe north to Quebec due to violence & rising tensions with English settlers
6) Various businesses have taken the name: theres a Kanc Country Market, Kanc Motor Lodge, Kanc Collectables, Cake on the Kanc bakery
7) Kanc Country Maple Porter is a local brew from Woodstock Brewery
8) Note there is no letter N in Kancamagus.... if you pronounce it Kanc-a-mang-us its a clear giveaway your a tourist:)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry, I should provide a little clarification as locals use the Kanc in many contexts
3) Kanc Pass is the highest point of the Kanc highway, lookout spot located near a hairpin turn
4) Big Kanc or Mount Kanc refers to Mount Kancamagus, located near Kanc Pass on the Kanc Highway
5) Kancamagus (pronounced Kanc-ah-mah-gus) grandson of Passaconaway was the last chief of the Pennecook Confederacy Indians. He moved his tribe north to Quebec due to violence & rising tensions with English settlers
6) Various businesses have taken the name: theres a Kanc Country Market, Kanc Motor Lodge, Kanc Collectables, Cake on the Kanc bakery
8) Note there is no letter N in Kancamagus.... if you pronounce it Kanc-a-mang-us its a clear giveaway your a tourist:)

To be clear, kanc is pronounced with a c or not?

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
To be clear, kanc is pronounced with a c or not?
Pronounced Kank- rhymes with tank, sank, plank
Funny- I never really thought about how phonetically odd this word it..... feel free to call me out on any other regional references in my articles so that I can better clarify for all readers

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whew thats what i thought.

Still the "mangus" is ingrained so just keep poking fun at us and taking our $$ and we'll get along fine.

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor

#11 Pats Peak

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor

Crotched #12

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
So excited just discovered Proctor Academy community night is on for Saturday 2/8! this area is located at a private high school, so opportunities to ski here are rare

Attachments

• 022D3111-9E5B-451D-9B8E-F8EE9036E376.png
    022D3111-9E5B-451D-9B8E-F8EE9036E376.png
    494.1 KB · Views: 2
TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor

Ragged #13

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier

Thanks for this FF. One of my favorite parts of the beautiful state of New Hampshire (Lake Winnipesaukee would be the other). A couple of pics from the pass last April IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Thanks for this FF. One of my favorite parts of the beautiful state of New Hampshire (Lake Winnipesaukee would be the other). A couple of pics from the pass last April
thanks for sharing! Those lookout spots are fantastic, great place to watch the sunrise or sunset.... considering its really a 365 view the planning of having lookouts on both sides facing due east & due west was genious!
88762893-7475-4317-95E6-B606268205DC.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online