• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next Year's Demo List

RBjammin

Booting up
Skier
Thanks all for helping me with my frontside skis (Liberty V82). With the season pretty much at an end here (there are some fun outings left like cinco de mayo where we ski but it is more about the party given crowds and conditions), I am thinking about an update to my 3-ski quiver for next year.

I now have the Liberty V82, Salomon QST92, and Nordica Enforcer 110. The Salomon's have seen a few years now and it's that mid range (92-98mm) ski that I am looking to replace that will actually be the primary ski in this group. I have the Head Kore 93 and Elan Ripstick 96 Black on my short list, but what else should I add?

So you don't have to look it up again. West coast skier. 5'8" 175lbs. Upper advanced short of Expert. If conditions allow, more off piste than on, but limited hiking/backcountry. Also, started skiing 30+ days per year and noticed that my preferences are changing given the reps. I used to treasure finesses skis (low speed turns, scrub, etc.) but am finding in the last demo session I am now leaning towards power (turns accelerate, stable at higher speed, etc). I still appreciate some forgiveness but don't mind skis nudging me into better form.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you tell a little about what you like with the Liberty's and the Qst's that might help. Otherwise there's a long list of usual suspects. The Black Ripstick could be interesting or could hate, who knows. Don't know anyone who's been on it.
Rustler 9, Experience 94, Enforcer 93. Then premium skis.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Also the Rossigbol Experience 94 did not get the love it should have this year. I blame usinv an old name on a completely new ski... but they are a heck of a ski, so much better than the previous fat carver.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The new QST and Ripstick Black are solid contenders in that category IMHO.
QSTs 99 and 106 were the top of my short list for ‘20 after demos.
A few laps with the Ripstick 106 has me looking at the RS “black” version as well.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
DPS Foundation Cassiar 94, Armada Tracer 98, Liberty Origin 100

James

Out There
Instructor
Also the Rossigbol Experience 94 did not get the love it should have this year. I blame usinv an old name on a completely new ski... but they are a heck of a ski, so much better than the previous fat carver.
Does it have a bit more serious or chargier level than the E88?

TS
RBjammin

RBjammin

Booting up
Skier
If you tell a little about what you like with the Liberty's and the Qst's that might help. Otherwise there's a long list of usual suspects. The Black Ripstick could be interesting or could hate, who knows. Don't know anyone who's been on it.
Rustler 9, Experience 94, Enforcer 93. Then premium skis.

I haven't skied the Liberty V82 yet. Just arrived on Tuesday and still in the shrink wrap. I bought them without trying given reviews and price (can always sell them). I love the control and forgiveness of the QST 92, but this generation may be too finesse for me. I really noticed the charge I get out of the enforcers and the acceleration in the turns. I like that. That said, I can't ski bumps as in control with the enforcers and that is something the QST did really well. I could pick a line and stick to it either upping or slowing my pace to hit it right. Enforcers just wanted to go and I would have to find the exit at times. It will be my mixed condition ski so days where there are stashes of POW but also lots of groomers and skied out off piste.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am now leaning towards power (turns accelerate, stable at higher speed, etc). I still appreciate some forgiveness but don't mind skis nudging me into better form.

It will be my mixed condition ski so days where there are stashes of POW but also lots of groomers and skied out off piste.

Sounds like the Stockli Stormrider 95 to me. Or the SR 88 for a more front side bias.

Or Both. :rolleyes:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm in the market for this width ski. I never got on the E94. I know several here, including FTM, really liked it. Feels pretty beefy in the shop. Hmmm.

I disliked the 2019 QST 99.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
ON3P Woodsman 96 or Wrenegade 96. Wren if you want a locked-in tail. Woodsman a looser tail and more forward mounted.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm in the market for this width ski. I never got on the E94. I know several here, including FTM, really liked it. Feels pretty beefy in the shop. Hmmm.

I disliked the 2019 QST 99.
I currently don't have a ski in this width, but demoed the E94 and E88 and liked both a lot with their shorter turn radius, better than their competition at a big demo day and the earlier model of the E88. I also really liked the Dynastar Legend X96, just a bit more than the E94. All these were in their longest lengths (6'6", 230 lb). For an 88 comparison, I currently ski an Elan Amphibio XTi, which is pretty damp and stiff. I also really liked the new Monster 88. Different kind of skis, but still somehow pleasing to me. I've acquired a cheater GS ski since the Elan, so I'd like my all mtn daily driver to have a shorter turn radius and be better in the ungroomed eastern-type runs.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was really surprised by this one when I demo’d it, I actually almost like it better than my Bonafides. It was more relaxed.
I haven't skied the Bonafides but, yes, the Tracer is a mellow ski that still has some chops in mixed conditions. The 108s are a blast too.

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't skied the Bonafided but, yes, the Tracer is a mellow ski that still has some chops in mixed conditions. The 108s are a blast too.

I skied the Bonafide for a day at Taos. At my size, it was fabulous on groomers. On the off piste it was functional but subjectively too planky. I like something that has some flex to it. Your physique would probably change the equation. I'd love to try the Tracer 98.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
ON3P Woodsman 96 or Wrenegade 96. Wren if you want a locked-in tail. Woodsman a looser tail and more forward mounted.

Hmm. You've been on the Woodsman 96? The site says its a 2020 ski. Did you get to demo somewhere?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I haven't skied the Bonafides but, yes, the Tracer is a mellow ski that still has some chops in mixed conditions. The 108s are a blast too.

Funny you say that.. I bought a set of 108’s after demoing the 98.

ADE44F7C-5BFC-4266-971B-56E66A095604.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
What lengths are your enforcers and Libertys?

If you want to go somewhat outside the box, the Dynastar Slicer could be of interest. Just use the rear mount position. Pretty traditional shape, not a lot of sidecut, softish tip, tip and tails with some rocker. It's 98 underfoot.
Looks fun, I picked up a pair this spring. This year it's available 175, 181. Lots of deals now. With the tail and rocker it's short for size. Next year it's called the Menace 98, very different graphics, comes 169, 175, 181, 187
I think they'll have a Menace 90 too next year.
From Blister:
Sam: I really like the Menace in bumps. In fact, it’s one of my favorite bump skis I’ve tested this year. There’s something about a traditional park-ski shape and construction that just works well in bumps (and part of that “something” is probably the pretty even, supportive, and forgiving flex patterns that are commonly found on park skis).

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hmm. You've been on the Woodsman 96? The site says its a 2020 ski. Did you get to demo somewhere?
Yeah, I am in Portland and ON3P was at the Mt Hood Meadows Demo Day in March. I got to demo a Woodsman 96 prototype @ 182cm. At 5’4” that’s long for me but actually seemed okay. I would go 177cm if I actually got a pair. I’ve spent some time on a Wrenegade 98 and first impression the Woodsman felt like a Wrenegade with a looser tail. That is it was easier to release and pivot. It also has a more forward mount point than the Wren so you can ski it more centered if you want. It’s not a freestyle ski so the mount is not as far forward as the Kartel (name is changing to Jeffrey in 2020). I think the production models will have a bit less effective edge and more tip taper. For 2020 will be looking at a Woodsman 108, Salomon QST 106 and Liberty Origin 106.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink