• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next Season's Gatherings?

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Several folks have said they wouldn't share living space with others they didn't travel with. I'm curious about the rationale behind that.

I recently returned from my annual Outer Banks beach trip with another family. For all households, all were following guidelines, working from home if possible, wearing masks in public, etc. The person at highest risk was my daughter, who works in a hospital. Everyone drove. And in Frisco NC (unlike Frisco CO), the biggest contact point is the grocery store. So that was a no-brainer.

For me the bigger risks are air travel and dining. In both cases, close quarters with a bunch of people I don't know. (when you breath air near someone you're breathing air with everyone they've been near?)

I don't expect things to be a whole lot different COVID-wise come Jan 2021. We've come down some from the spike a month ago, but people forget (and are stupid, feel privileged, etc) and I think it'll be a roller-coaster ride. It's race between a vaccine and herd immunity.

But having said all that, I have an IKON pass and think I'll start looking at Aspen options. It'll give me something to do while I'm holed up!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Several folks have said they wouldn't share living space with others they didn't travel with. I'm curious about the rationale behind that.

I recently returned from my annual Outer Banks beach trip with another family. For all households, all were following guidelines, working from home if possible, wearing masks in public, etc. The person at highest risk was my daughter, who works in a hospital. Everyone drove. And in Frisco NC (unlike Frisco CO), the biggest contact point is the grocery store. So that was a no-brainer.

For me the bigger risks are air travel and dining. In both cases, close quarters with a bunch of people I don't know. (when you breath air near someone you're breathing air with everyone they've been near?)

I don't expect things to be a whole lot different COVID-wise come Jan 2021. We've come down some from the spike a month ago, but people forget (and are stupid, feel privileged, etc) and I think it'll be a roller-coaster ride. It's race between a vaccine and herd immunity.

But having said all that, I have an IKON pass and think I'll start looking at Aspen options. It'll give me something to do while I'm holed up!
Well, I'll be driving, so the biggest risks for me are when in close proximity to people I'm not traveling with, which would be in shared accommodations. Even if there are separate sleeping quarters, there are interactions in common areas (kitchen, living areas, etc). I'm hoping to not have to wear a mask while in my accommodations.

Most of my planned road trip will be in condo units by myself, and while I have an Air BnB tiny house all to myself for a few nights in Carbondale for the Gathering, I'll also be spending a few nights at a slope side Air BnB that is a room in a larger house, and I'll probably wear a mask when not in my own room. Not sure how it'll work with dining with others during the Gathering. Maybe we just do Zoom meetings from our own units. Or maybe the situation will have changed by then.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

For me, I've both been the sick one in the house, or shared a house with someone who got sick. I just would like to avoid either of those things happening as much as possible, as that will add a lot of complication this winter.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Well, I'll be driving, so the biggest risks for me are when in close proximity to people I'm not traveling with, which would be in shared accommodations. Even if there are separate sleeping quarters, there are interactions in common areas (kitchen, living areas, etc). I'm hoping to not have to wear a mask while in my accommodations.

Most of my planned road trip will be in condo units by myself, and while I have an Air BnB tiny house all to myself for a few nights in Carbondale for the Gathering, I'll also be spending a few nights at a slope side Air BnB that is a room in a larger house, and I'll probably wear a mask when not in my own room. Not sure how it'll work with dining with others during the Gathering. Maybe we just do Zoom meetings from our own units. Or maybe the situation will have changed by then.
For me, I've both been the sick one in the house, or shared a house with someone who got sick. I just would like to avoid either of those things happening as much as possible, as that will add a lot of complication this winter.

My daughter works at the grocery store. Even at the register, touching everyone's stuff she's in close proximity with each different customer for a few minutes the on to the next.

What I seem to understand is that it's the longer term exposure to the breath of an infected person that allows the viral load to build up enough to infect others. Riding in a car.. or sharing the same living space in a house, especially in the winter with windows closed and HVAC recirculating the air already there, are the two riskiest things you can do. You can't easily avoid doing that with your own family in your own home... But you can avoid doing that with another family or several other families like what happens at beach and ski houses. At the very least the risk is double what it is with just your own family.. add in the interactions the skiers are having with other skiers.. 4 people versus 8 people bringing those interactions back to the ski house? No thanks. I'll wait for the vaccine or effective treatment..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug @Andy Mink @AKMINK and I talked about this after the JH Gathering.
The condo ended up being less than ideal for 8 people as stated in the AirB&B listing. 6 would have been ideal.
Meanwhile the two guys in the loft were sick and most of us got sick before we left on the last day.
Under the circumstances, we will likely keep lodging buddies to a minimum and be more thorough about the logistics of lodging.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
@dbostedo - Hey, I didn't get you sick! But I did fly out feeling like crap and was hyper-aware. I really didn't want to give others what I had & suppressed any urge to cough (which I'm pretty sure how Graz spread it to me), But OMG everyone on that plane and in the airport was hacking and sniffing and snorting. I still think the flight is higher risk.

Guess I was trying to get a feel for how things will be different and what adjustments to make. Expect a smaller turnout, for sure. (and wouldn't expect many newbies). Main thing is to ski & that's socially distant to start with. But if they mimic the Vail Resorts policy, would you consider other pugs part of your group & sit next to them on the lift? Seems like boot/meet-up, lunch and après/dinner contact have to be minimal. I actually think a small group on the mountain makes sense (given adequate personal space): eating in with some after-ski camaraderie.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I talked to a friend who took a flight on SW recently.
She said she is very confident in the healthy practices.
No middle seats being filled,
Serious cleaning crew at gate when she got off ready to sanitize between each flight.
She kept her mask on through the whole flight and didn't consume any food or drink.

I asked her about this because I have a flight booked to visit family in Michigan at the end of September and I've been wondering about cancelling or keeping my plans.
At this point, I'm confident about keeping my plans.

I have no intention of putting me or my family at risk, but my mindset is changing a lot and I'm thinking its time to start living a normal life with the added precautions we have put in place like hand sanitizer, mask, spacial awareness.

If we have another surge, I may change my mind again.
Like I said in another thread, flexibility is key at this point. Those who aren't flexible are probably pretty uncomfortable in thise times.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@dbostedo - Hey, I didn't get you sick! But I did fly out feeling like crap and was hyper-aware. I really didn't want to give others what I had & suppressed any urge to cough (which I'm pretty sure how Graz spread it to me), But OMG everyone on that plane and in the airport was hacking and sniffing and snorting. I still think the flight is higher risk.

Flying isn't great, but the airport's probably more virus laden than the plane itself due to the HEPA filtration on jets.

You're still screwed if you're sitting right next to an infected person on a jet for 4-6 hours. I'd still take that on a jet... with a good mask.. over 4-6 DAYS in a crowded ski house with a dozen other people and no HEPA filtration.. I'm not going to want to wear a mask 100% of the time I'm indoors with ski buddies sharing a ski house, especially in my sleep. I'll definitely be OK wearing the mask on a plane for a few hours though..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But if they mimic the Vail Resorts policy, would you consider other pugs part of your group & sit next to them on the lift?
I don't think so... no. Not if I'm staying alone. I think if I did decide to expand my bubble/pod and room with folks, I'd keep it to just roommates on the lifts too.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd share a chairlift, sure, without necessarily sitting next to someone. Two people on a quad? Sure. Just as long as they don't sing, cough or sneeze at me.

And I'll be wearing a mask unless I'm on a lift by myself.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
A little off topic but where is the Gathering planned to be in 21/22? Assuming there is still skiing then.
Planning for my season on snow.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From memory the standard rotation is Aspen, Utah, Big Sky and Jackson Hole. If Aspen happens this year it'd be Utah. If Aspen doesn't happen then I don't know if it slips a year.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A little off topic but where is the Gathering planned to be in 21/22? Assuming there is still skiing then.
Planning for my season on snow.

21/22 - AltaBird.

Usually few days at other areas in both the front and rear end of things.

The gathering is on a 4 year rotation.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I talked to a friend who took a flight on SW recently.
She said she is very confident in the healthy practices.
No middle seats being filled,
Serious cleaning crew at gate when she got off ready to sanitize between each flight.
She kept her mask on through the whole flight and didn't consume any food or drink.

I asked her about this because I have a flight booked to visit family in Michigan at the end of September and I've been wondering about cancelling or keeping my plans.
At this point, I'm confident about keeping my plans.

I have no intention of putting me or my family at risk, but my mindset is changing a lot and I'm thinking its time to start living a normal life with the added precautions we have put in place like hand sanitizer, mask, spacial awareness.

If we have another surge, I may change my mind again.
Like I said in another thread, flexibility is key at this point. Those who aren't flexible are probably pretty uncomfortable in thise times.
I made my trip, am actually in Michigan now to visit family.
I felt very safe on the flight and was pleased with the practices.
If I needed to fly for ski travel, with these practices, I'd feel comfortable doing so.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
One of my neighbours is a flight attendant on Air Canada. She's taken time off since Covid started but has many friends still flying. Apparently Air Canada has had no incidents of flight crew becoming infected on flights despite having carried passengers who were infected during the flight (found out through contact tracing). So yeah, I don't think the risk there is as high as it might be imagined.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is on my mind, too, of course.

There is the plane, yes. But I'm also concerned about other things you normally wouldn't think twice about, but which now loom as potentially big issues. Example: that jam-packed bus that takes you from the terminal to the rental car place - in Albuquerque, for instance. Or the shuttles that take you from area to area in Aspen.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also gathering in lodges or at pubs/restaurants... another concern.

Sponsor

Staff online