• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next Season's Gatherings?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We already had the vote-
Saddleback.
I’m sure we sent you a copy of the results...
Since no one will come, likely we need another spot. Killington.
A NE Gathering at Killington will get the usual suspects, but that's not the only point of a Gathering. We'd like new folks to visit the mountain and show them around. VT and its COVID travel restrictions might make that real difficult...

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is happening in Tahoe/Truckee too. Many Bay Area folks are heading to their second homes or even long-term VRBOing now that they can work from home and so many schools are doing distance learning. That puts a lot of pressure on the relatively small infrastructure around Truckee as far as stores and services go. And hospitals. Did I mention hospitals?

I am quasi guilty of this. Mostly using extensive amounts of bandwidth but otherwise making myself scarce.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are thinking about renting for a month or more in VT. Waiting to see if there will be skiing before committing to a place. Catch 22 is once we know we can ski nothing affordable will be available.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, like @TheArchitect I've got a place reserved at Snowmass, in case things are looking up. I'll be keeping my fingers (and toes, and arms, and legs, and eyes) crossed that it makes sense to fly out there and ski at that time. View attachment 107975
I’m tempted. Was looking at lodging today. Would be easier if we had dates..... I usually book my lodging for the Gathering shortly after the dates are announced.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As @dbostedo mentioned, it will probably be 2/28-3/6. I would expect that Sun 2/28 is a travel date though some will meet up and/or ski, and the first "official" meet up date would be Monday 3/1.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As @dbostedo mentioned, it will probably be 2/28-3/6. I would expect that Sun 2/28 is a travel date though some will meet up and/or ski, and the first "official" meet up date would be Monday 3/1.
Actually, Sunday has been the first official day for the last three Gatherings at least.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
TL/DR. Communal housing is a hard no for me. Grabbing our own room and skiing a very uncrowded mountain with few others there but us (off day, non holiday, late spring weekend) seems fairy safe.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Taos posted this video of climbing Kachina Peak in the summer. Reminded me of the great time we all had skiing Kachina peak during last year's Pugski Taos mini-gathering.

I have skied Kachina quite a bit over the years. The Kachina Peak terrain are pretty mild during the winter. Lots of good runs up there.
I have never been to Taos in the summer. The terrain shown in the video provoked involuntary puckering. :geek:
Here to everything working out well so we can all show up at Taos and make some turns together. :beercheer:

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Prior to the last Gathering at Aspen, now several years ago, I was a regular attendee, starting with the spring week at Summit County. One of my small jokes is that I've spent more nights in a motel room with @Gary Stolt than anyone other than my wife. Knee arthritis, that started the year of the last Aspen, shut down my skiing. It was both good and bad to watch the past several years Gathering TR's, great memories seeing my friends, bummed that I could not longer ski. In March of this year, I had a total knee replacement, in large part motivated by returning to Aspen, which is the first Rocky Man area I visited many years ago. Aspen is a most special place.
While my knee surgery has been very successful, the dream of rejoining a Gathering is on hold pending development of a vaccine for the virus. A Gathering remains 6 months away, nothing we know now can prepare me for what reality will look like then, especially life at a ski area. Reality is a very cold destroyer of dreams.

@Living Proof, speedy recovery to your TKR! I would love to ski with you and @Gary Stolt again. I made 4 consecutive gatherings then missed the last 3. Folks I met through EpicSki/Pugski have become a permanent part of my life. And there will continue be the big gatherings and many many mini gatherings.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Living Proof, speedy recovery to your TKR! I would love to ski with you and @Gary Stolt again. I made 4 consecutive gatherings then missed the last 3. Folks I met through EpicSki/Pugski have become a permanent part of my life. And there will continue be the big gatherings and many many mini gatherings.

Is that a good thing? :duck: :ogbiggrin:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I am making plans to attend the Aspen Gathering. I couldn't decide between staying in Carbondale and at Snowmass, so I decided to do both. The first few nights I've got an Air Bnb in Carbondale (I'll have the studio to myself), then I'll stay at an Air BnB at Snowmass that's ski in and out. Then I know what I'd prefer for future visits. Also staying in Carbondale at 6000' elevation will make it easier to acclimate, as Snowmass Village is at 8200' elevation.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier

Hi Jenny,
I well remember doing Gatherings with you, The brave person who shared a small cabin with NearNyquist in Jackson! Fearlessly jumping into trees and bumps that I passed on. The great dinner we all shared at Gary's friend home. Always smiling. It would be great to see and ski together at a future Gathering. These events are always special, meeting old friends we get to see for a few days, but, remember the shared experiences.

Is that a good thing? :duck: :ogbiggrin:

Speaking about unforgettable people, KingGrump always brings a smile to my face with his distinctive wit, and, perhaps knowledge;). It will be great be with Bruce and Mammie again. And, no, I will not follow him into bump runs. Famous quote ( as I'm panting) "Don't bother to breathe, there's no oxogen here anyway."

Damn virus!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I just wish that we could be guaranteed safe from lift ticket lottery requirements to ski.

Sponsor

Staff online