• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next Season's Gatherings?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
More detail from the Vermon COVID page:

Quarantining at Home Before Coming to Vermont

Depending on how you travel to Vermont you may be able to quarantine in your home state before coming to Vermont.

Quarantining Before Coming IS an Option
If you plan to travel to Vermont in a personal vehicle (including a rental vehicle or private plane), you may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative PCR test in your home state and enter Vermont without further quarantine restrictions. Continue to quarantine until you travel to Vermont.

When you travel to Vermont, only stop when necessary (like for fuel, food or rest). When you stop, wear a face mask or covering, keep a 6-foot distance from others and wash your hands often. Stay home and do not travel if you are sick.
Quarantining Before Coming is NOT an Option
If you plan to travel to Vermont by public transportation (plane, train, bus) or from further than a direct car ride, you must quarantine in Vermont. You may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative PCR test, in a Vermont lodging establishment or with friends and family. You must stay in your quarantine location for the duration of quarantine other than to travel to and from a test site.
Again I have to wonder how one would prove compliance of the former and how would they enforce it?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Yeah, I have no idea how Vermont would enforce their quarantine rules. This seems like the honor system, especially if you're quarantining in Vermont.

I'm sure there's a sizeable number of MA, NY and NH residents that work in Vermont in some capacity on the weekends as patrollers or instructors or whatever...

James

Out There
Instructor
In March of 1973 a buddy and I drove from Toronto to Aspen in my partially camperized Ford Econoline van. We slept in the van in the Buttermilk parking lot until after about a week the Pitkin Country Sheriff Deputy kicked us out. But he told us to go to Aspen Highlands which at the time was independently owned and allowed overnight sleeping in vehicles. They also had a deal whereby the 1st 10skiers in the lift line a half hour before opening would go up the mountain with the Ski Patrol and work shoveling snow or skis-on side stepping slopes (no winch cats in those days). Then at 10:30 and 4 lifts up the mountain the Patrol would hand us a lift ticket.:yahoo:

During our 3 week stay in Aspen it snowed every other night and was sunny every single day except the last day when it snowed during the day.:D
They made a movie about you.
Aspen Extreme-
econolineinfrontofhouse.jpg

hasburgh.jpg

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
For the past few years have done an annual guys weekend down at Baker. Usually between 15 to 20 old ski buddies make it.
This year with border restrictions we won't be going there.
A few other BC locations are in discussion right now. But while it's certain the few of us that live south of the line won't be able to attend, getting that many together anywhere this year is questionable.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
In March of 1973 a buddy and I drove from Toronto to Aspen in my partially camperized Ford Econoline van. We slept in the van in the Buttermilk parking lot until after about a week the Pitkin Country Sheriff Deputy kicked us out. But he told us to go to Aspen Highlands which at the time was independently owned and allowed overnight sleeping in vehicles. They also had a deal whereby the 1st 10skiers in the lift line a half hour before opening would go up the mountain with the Ski Patrol and work shoveling snow or skis-on side stepping slopes (no winch cats in those days). Then at 10:30 and 4 lifts up the mountain the Patrol would hand us a lift ticket.:yahoo:

During our 3 week stay in Aspen it snowed every other night and was sunny every single day except the last day when it snowed during the day.:D

Dano, You have many stories about your self lodging travels. It seems most of them end with "I got kicked out". But it's always on friendly terms with the "kicker outer" offering a better place to park. You are a man to be admired. A great life.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
If I drive over from SLC, I might consider staying solo at one of the old fashioned motor court type motels in Glenwood Springs and then commute daily to Aspen, if I can find a good candidate. I'm thinking of motels that are one level and you park outside the door that leads only to your room. That would still probably entail getting on a shuttle bus for the last few miles to the lifts.

I skied Aspen in 1976 on college spring break and slept in my car at Snowmass parking lot. Too old and soft for that now:crutches:

A single person renting in Aspen could be a little spendy but I'm sure I could figure something out. I'll check out what is available.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Dano, You have many stories about your self lodging travels. It seems most of them end with "I got kicked out". But it's always on friendly terms with the "kicker outer" offering a better place to park. You are a man to be admired. A great life.
I have always believed it is better to apologize after the fact for parking in the wrong spot, than asking in advance and getting turned down.

Then there was the time, staying in my truck camper at a Park 'N Ride in Sandy Utah, when a lady thought I was a homeless guy living in a camper so she offered me $20!!. I laughed and thought to myself: "Lady, I probably have a greater net worth than you".....in case you were wondering, I turned down the $20.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I have always believed it is better to apologize after the fact for parking in the wrong spot, than asking in advance and getting turned down.

Then there was the time, staying in my truck camper at a Park 'N Ride in Sandy Utah, when a lady thought I was a homeless guy living in a camper so she offered me $20!!. I laughed and thought to myself: "Lady, I probably have a greater net worth than you".....in case you were wondering, I turned down the $20.

That is kind of you, however before turning her down, you could have thought about your not so homeless friends.

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I have no idea how Vermont would enforce their quarantine rules. This seems like the honor system, especially if you're quarantining in Vermont.

I'm sure there's a sizeable number of MA, NY and NH residents that work in Vermont in some capacity on the weekends as patrollers or instructors or whatever...

Taken from the website from the Vermont State Police regarding enforcement: https://vsp.vermont.gov/covid19/stayhome_enforcement

"The executive orders do not close roads, nor do they establish roadblocks, checkpoints or the authority to demand identification. People may be out and about. Motor vehicles with Vermont and non-Vermont registrations are allowed to operate, and traffic is expected to increase as restrictions ease. Accordingly, the orders do not establish cause to initiate a motor vehicle stop or detain people for questioning about their travel."

As for overnight accommodations, guests are required to provide confirmation that they meet the quarantine requirements: https://accd.vermont.gov/content/stay-home-stay-safe-sector-specific-guidance#lodging-accommodations

"Operators shall require a signed document or digital check box at time of reservation and check-in from the guest(s) attesting they meet the quarantine requirement, have traveled from a county with similar active COVID-19 caseload per the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development (ACCD), are an essential/authorized worker."

I recently spoke with a Vermonter who believes the greater concern is for persons who plan to remain in the state overnight. The above requirement for a "signed document" when checking in seems to support this and gives the state a way to create some formal accountability. This would likely give pause to persons who like to play by the rules.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Taken from the website from the Vermont State Police regarding enforcement: https://vsp.vermont.gov/covid19/stayhome_enforcement

"The executive orders do not close roads, nor do they establish roadblocks, checkpoints or the authority to demand identification. People may be out and about. Motor vehicles with Vermont and non-Vermont registrations are allowed to operate, and traffic is expected to increase as restrictions ease. Accordingly, the orders do not establish cause to initiate a motor vehicle stop or detain people for questioning about their travel."

As for overnight accommodations, guests are required to provide confirmation that they meet the quarantine requirements: https://accd.vermont.gov/content/stay-home-stay-safe-sector-specific-guidance#lodging-accommodations

"Operators shall require a signed document or digital check box at time of reservation and check-in from the guest(s) attesting they meet the quarantine requirement, have traveled from a county with similar active COVID-19 caseload per the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development (ACCD), are an essential/authorized worker."

I recently spoke with a Vermonter who believes the greater concern is for persons who plan to remain in the state overnight. The above requirement for a "signed document" when checking in seems to support this and gives the state a way to create some formal accountability. This would likely give pause to persons who like to play by the rules.
formal policies and actual on-the-ground policies are often different. We've had staff stopped in VT this summer/fall based on their MA plates (essential workers). Granted, not by state police, but still.

Many many people will sign whatever they need to to get a room. Plus, all the second-home-owners, seasonal rentals, ski clubs, etc. have no way to regulate...

In any case, you can just stay in NH and never have to sign anything! West Leb is an hour from Killington and Okemo, about 1:15-1:30 from Stowe and Stratton. It's pretty central.
Or, you know, there is some pretty great skiing in NH...

The two week self-quarantine has been lifted for those traveling to New Hampshire from surrounding New England States (Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island). Those traveling to New Hampshire from non-New England states for an extended period of time are still asked to self-quarantine for a two-week period.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Again I have to wonder how one would prove compliance of the former and how would they enforce it?

I traveled to VT from MA this summer and rented a room for a few nights. I was asked to sign a paper that said I complied and that was it. No other questions or concerns from h the hotel.

Basically, the honor system unless you cause an issue and then they have a piece of paper you signed

I vote let's gather, but keep it quiet

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I traveled to VT from MA this summer and rented a room for a few nights. I was asked to sign a paper that said I complied and that was it. No other questions or concerns from h the hotel.

Basically, the honor system unless you cause an issue and then they have a piece of paper you signed

I vote let's gather, but keep it quiet

Uh, you are on the Internets Highway.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't say that I didn't comply, or suggest we don't comply if we gather. Just describing my experience. I do see your point, though

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do we have any consensus at all on the Gathering? Ikons just showed up in the mail last week. We’ve been going through our gear. We’re definitely going somewhere. We’d sure like to spend some time with you all again. What are we doing Pugs?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do we have any consensus at all on the Gathering? Ikons just showed up in the mail last week. We’ve been going through our gear. We’re definitely going somewhere. We’d sure like to spend some time with you all again. What are we doing Pugs?

Nothing official... but I'll reiterate that I'm planning to be skiing Aspen the 6 days from 2/28/21 - 3/5/21.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We have couple of Taos passes plus couple of full Ikon. Will probably spend some time at Taos or somewhere. Everything is still up in the air. Will play it by ear as the season progresses.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m still planning on Aspen/Snowmass from 2/28-3/5, and possibly Steamboat (and Copper?) beforehand.

Once we have a good idea whether any of this is even still plausible we might start a roll call thread.

Sponsor

Staff online