• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next Season's Gatherings?

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
If there is a gathering in Aspen, I hope to be there, assuming I can devise a safe plan, which, I think, is a safe assumption. I've made no room reservations yet. With this year's skiing so up in the air, I'm also thinking the New England Gathering, hosted by Kevin, would also be a good place to drive to.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
If there is a gathering in Aspen, I hope to be there, assuming I can devise a safe plan, which, I think, is a safe assumption. I've made no room reservations yet. With this year's skiing so up in the air, I'm also thinking the New England Gathering, hosted by Kevin, would also be a good place to drive to.

All joking aside, I'm thinking the chances of a NEG in 2021 is "slim to none". This week's Vermont travel map:
VermontTravelMap.png

That's an awful lot of "red" where "red" essentially means "quarantine for 14 days prior to arriving". Heck, there are Vermont counties that would be red if they didn't color Vermont differently from everybody else.

Who knows what the situation will be come March, but I'm not thinking of planning anything anytime soon.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
The New England Gathering could become The West Virginia Gathering. The political attitude toward Covid could change after the election. However, nobody wants to contract Covid 19. Lets hope it recedes soon.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All joking aside, I'm thinking the chances of a NEG in 2021 is "slim to none". This week's Vermont travel map:
View attachment 113434

That's an awful lot of "red" where "red" essentially means "quarantine for 14 days prior to arriving". Heck, there are Vermont counties that would be red if they didn't color Vermont differently from everybody else.

Who knows what the situation will be come March, but I'm not thinking of planning anything anytime soon.
lol.....''I'm green!" (at least this week)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, unfortunately the southern Rockies are almost twice as far from Maine as they are from Seattle. (I know because I just Googled it.)

2022. When all the pieces are back together again.
Yes, I am aware of the distances involved.

Tony, it seems you live in entirely the wrong place.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm thinking the chances of a NEG in 2021 is "slim to none".
I think it’s “poor to good”.
It could always be...a skinny gathering. A few people skinning.
Or, an NEG in WV. Prob with that is end of March is no good in WV.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 113434

I like this week's map better than last week's. I could hypothetically drive to NE PA for a rest break, then to the NY/VT border for another before driving to Killington. I would quarantine at home for 7 days, take a test at the pharmacy up the road without leaving my car, and then start my drive. If the test comes back negative, then I don't have to turn around and go home...

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If I drive over from SLC, I might consider staying solo at one of the old fashioned motor court type motels in Glenwood Springs and then commute daily to Aspen, if I can find a good candidate. I'm thinking of motels that are one level and you park outside the door that leads only to your room. That would still probably entail getting on a shuttle bus for the last few miles to the lifts.

I skied Aspen in 1976 on college spring break and slept in my car at Snowmass parking lot. Too old and soft for that now:crutches:

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are currently no restrictions between MA and ME. So, hypothetically speaking, if there are any ski areas in ME that are in green zones, could I travel from there from MA to ski for a week, then proceed to ski in VT?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If I drive over from SLC, I might consider staying solo at one of the old fashioned motor court type motels in Glenwood Springs and then commute daily to Aspen, if I can find a good candidate. I'm thinking of motels that are one level and you park outside the door that leads only to your room. That would still probably entail getting on a shuttle bus for the last few miles to the lifts.

I skied Aspen in 1976 on college spring break and slept in my car at Snowmass parking lot. Too old and soft for that now:crutches:
There's a somewhat new downside to the old fashioned motor inn type of motels. They're hotbeds for illegal and dangerous activity because the guests don't have to pass through the monitored common areas to get to and from the rooms. We found this out on our summer travels. We were thinking it would be safer with less interaction with other people that way.. The criminals have been on to that notion, but safer as in less likely to get the cops called on them by management or other guests with that same lower level if interaction..

James

Out There
Instructor

There’s a bunch of places in Snowmass which have outdoor hallways. Pokolodi, Wildwood, off the top of my head. It’s always struck me as bizarre, but now it comes in handy.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a somewhat new downside to the old fashioned motor inn type of motels. They're hotbeds for illegal and dangerous activity because the guests don't have to pass through the monitored common areas to get to and from the rooms. We found this out on our summer travels. We were thinking it would be safer with less interaction with other people that way.. The criminals have been on to that notion, but safer as in less likely to get the cops called on them by management or other guests with that same lower level if interaction..

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I skied Aspen in 1976 on college spring break and slept in my car at Snowmass parking lot. Too old and soft for that now
In March of 1973 a buddy and I drove from Toronto to Aspen in my partially camperized Ford Econoline van. We slept in the van in the Buttermilk parking lot until after about a week the Pitkin Country Sheriff Deputy kicked us out. But he told us to go to Aspen Highlands which at the time was independently owned and allowed overnight sleeping in vehicles. They also had a deal whereby the 1st 10skiers in the lift line a half hour before opening would go up the mountain with the Ski Patrol and work shoveling snow or skis-on side stepping slopes (no winch cats in those days). Then at 10:30 and 4 lifts up the mountain the Patrol would hand us a lift ticket.:yahoo:

During our 3 week stay in Aspen it snowed every other night and was sunny every single day except the last day when it snowed during the day.:D

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
-
If "quarantine for 14 days prior to arriving" is correct, no problem here, that part would be the least of it for me to decide one way or another on a VT skiing trip. I've been self quarantining most of my adult life and I've always been a germ freak, Now I have a difficult time even getting myself to do in store food shopping once every other week!
That "14 days qt prior to arrival" can't be correct. IDK how they would enforce or prove something like that without putting penal system ankle bracelets on us!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If "quarantine for 14 days prior to arriving" is correct, no problem here, that part would be the least of it for me to decide one way or another on a VT skiing trip. I've been self quarantining most of my adult life and I've always been a germ freak, Now I have a difficult time even getting myself to do in store food shopping once every other week!
That "14 days qt prior to arrival" can't be correct. IDK how they would enforce or prove something like that without putting penal system ankle bracelets on us!
More detail from the Vermont COVID page:

Quarantining at Home Before Coming to Vermont

Depending on how you travel to Vermont you may be able to quarantine in your home state before coming to Vermont.

Quarantining Before Coming IS an Option
If you plan to travel to Vermont in a personal vehicle (including a rental vehicle or private plane), you may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative PCR test in your home state and enter Vermont without further quarantine restrictions. Continue to quarantine until you travel to Vermont.

When you travel to Vermont, only stop when necessary (like for fuel, food or rest). When you stop, wear a face mask or covering, keep a 6-foot distance from others and wash your hands often. Stay home and do not travel if you are sick.
Quarantining Before Coming is NOT an Option
If you plan to travel to Vermont by public transportation (plane, train, bus) or from further than a direct car ride, you must quarantine in Vermont. You may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative PCR test, in a Vermont lodging establishment or with friends and family. You must stay in your quarantine location for the duration of quarantine other than to travel to and from a test site.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online