• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next Season's Gatherings?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Is that US or CDN?
Covid has caused a huge uptick in demand for RVs (and workout machines). Since my truck camper this season will be my daily driver, heated boot change, lunch room, and washroom, it's not for sale for at any price, regarless of the currency offered. :ogbiggrin:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...transfers...

...and lodging...

:ogbiggrin:

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Knowing you, skins and a snow cave would serve.

You flatter me and bought into the image I pretend to have.
The snow cave I built a few years back didn't have enough clearance when I sat up and dripped near my face all night. Pretty miserable...:doh:

@dbostedo, what are you, a travel agent?!
:snowball:
We must ski together, I want to see what Taos Ski Week has done for/to you.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We must ski together, I want to see what Taos Ski Week has done for/to you.
@Rainbow Jenny, I skied a bit with @dbostedo few years ago at the Whistler Gathering and then have skied with or watched him ski at Big Sky and Jackson Hole; lets just say Dave got his money's worth at Taos Ski Week.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@DanoT and @KingGrump you are too kind... I, like most of us, always aspire to suck at a higher level.

@Rainbow Jenny - I'd call myself an enabler, not a travel agent. :P And it's been too long since we skied together!! Probably since Whistler, right? Hopefully we'll wind up in the same place and get to do it again sometime.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So. Any more clarity on the specific dates over which we will be not-gathering? Off the record? Just to chew on? Hypothetically?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So. Any more clarity on the specific dates over which we will be not-gathering? Off the record? Just to chew on? Hypothetically?
All I can say is I have refundable places to stay booked for January 30th - February 6th in Taos, and February 27th - March 6th in Aspen.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
All I can say is I have refundable places to stay booked for January 30th - February 6th in Taos, and February 27th - March 6th in Aspen.
Oh ya, I always pay the extra 10% for the free cancellation up to 48 hours before the day, pay when you get there option. Trying to plan my kids college move in with the moving target dates... that option was a life saver! I've got a car reserved over Christmas Break just in case they pull the plug and we have to move his stuff back home.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a couple of Air Bnb's with refundable cancellation available up to a week or so before the dates, one in Carbondale (in part to acclimate to the elevation for a few nights), before I spend a few nights at a ski in/out at Snowmass.

And yes, Feb 27th - March 6th.

@Rainbow Jenny if you don't take the train to this Gathering, at some point maybe fly to Seattle and take the Amtrak to Whitefish. I've always wanted to do that.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am planning on going with my friend George , looking at lodging options , any recommendations , really would like to be on a bus route.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am planning on going with my friend George , looking at lodging options , any recommendations , really would like to be on a bus route.

Pokolodi Lodge at Snowmass is almost ski in/out and is just below the bus depot. I think it is one of the 50+ year old lodges that is slated to be replaced as part of a multi year Snowmass renovation, so it is dated but reasonably priced for being only a short walk and then skiing to the lifts.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I made my trip, am actually in Michigan now to visit family.
I felt very safe on the flight and was pleased with the practices.
If I needed to fly for ski travel, with these practices, I'd feel comfortable doing so.
My wife and I have recently made 4 trips from D.C. to Seattle on Alaska with no concerns whatsoever. We are moving to Virginia and have a house there. The middle row is not filled and the planes are well cleaned and usually not too full. We have also made one round trip with no concerns. Masks are required which is a good thing. Flying to ski for us would not be an issue under these circumstances.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Up until recently, most of the air travel stories I've heard have been similar. Report from a friend who flew a week or 2 back (DC / pacific NW) was 3 of 4 legs booked to capacity. So, lot's of new protocols in effect, but no middle seat is only being done by a few airlines now (eg, Southwest) - neither UA or AA are. So if you're planning to fly to ASE, don't expect a 1/2 full flight. Govt subsidies going away will also drive capacity & add uncertainty.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From what I read just prior to my trip, Southwest, Jet Blue, Alaskan, Delta ...all have a policy of not using the middle seat unless its someone in your party.
United, American both are booking to full capacity.

As everything, this may change.

Sponsor

Staff online