• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next Generation Mid Engined Corvette Reveal Tonight...

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette

These are renderings that a guy known as chazcron has come up with. Said to be very accurate.

There are rumors of hybrid and AWD versions. Likely just a base model revealed tonight.

010119_8b.jpg

iu

iu

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love the direction here, Since the C4 and especially the ZR1, Corvettes have have punched above their weight class and have held their own against the rest of the world especially when price was a consideration. I do think the C8 will definitely continue that trend. IMHO, they should have kept a front engine/rear drive variation in the stable as an opiton. I recently saw an article, I think it was with Bob Lutz when he suggested Corvette offer an SUV that woudl go up against the Cayennes of the world and at first I thought that was a crazy idea...a crazy good idea, Why not? Make Corvette their own brand to go against the Porsche and Ferrari. The trouble is how would they be marketed? Exclusive dealers? With Caddy? Every Chevy store? That would be a tough one but with Cadillac no longer being the standard they once were, this could be that halo brand that GM needs.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I find that GM continues to be a....hodge-podge. They've come a long way from the dark days..but..still a huge ship..not very agile and prone to bean-counter pique. I mean, take one look inside a Camaro..high-school project.. Ah well. I do hope they figure it out.

James

Out There
Instructor
I like they've gotten rid of the fat a** they've saddled the Corvette with over the last many years. They stole it from the 1980's Testarossa, but it wasn't. The 70's Corvette was a take off of the 1960's Lamborghini Muira.

It's interesting, Chevy has stuck to since the 70's at least that the nose of the Corvette is pointed or longest in the middle.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As much as I love the 30th Anniv. MX-5..that is 40K in RF fastback body...this is 60K...I can get the same orange and suede interior....Not that I am buying either but it is no comparison. I don't think there is any car that can touch this in shear performance and handling. I also bet it will get close to 30MPG on the highway too.

scott43

Skier
I'm just going to throw it out there..I wouldn't call that a pretty car..and what's with that button strip in the interior?!?!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I recently saw an article, I think it was with Bob Lutz when he suggested Corvette offer an SUV that woudl go up against the Cayennes of the world and at first I thought that was a crazy idea...a crazy good idea, Why not? Make Corvette their own brand to go against the Porsche and Ferrari.

I disagree. GM has done a great job with the Corvette over the years and has offered great bang for the buck for the past several years. Corvette is the great American sports car and good on GM for sticking with it but realistically a Vette SUV from GM will just end up being a rebadged Cadillac or at best a shared platform of some sort and thus will end up as nothing very special.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I disagree. GM has done a great job with the Corvette over the years and has offered great bang for the buck for the past several years. Corvette is the great American sports car and good on GM for sticking with it but realistically a Vette SUV from GM will just end up being a rebadged Cadillac or at best a shared platform of some sort and thus will end up as nothing very special.
It would have to NOT be a rebadged Suburban/Escalade/Yukon bit more this...
chevy-corvette-suv-rendering.jpg

To go against Cayennes, Labo Uris, X6. The same way the Corvette Stingray isn't a shared platform, other than when they did the 5.5 with Cadillac as the Evoq.

scott43

Skier
GM will just be building a Chevy with Corvette styling ques.
This is kinda the GM hodge-podge. Like, which division is building the Porsche Cayenne/BMW beaters? Chevy is supposed to be the performance division I suppose..but the pedigree isn't there really, Corvette and Camaro aside. I think Cadillac has to be the division to build the Porsche/BMW beaters. But how do they do that? Escalade? Well, that's certainly a worthy vehicle..but it's no Cayenne beater. Maybe they've decided they just can't compete, I just don't know. The Camaro is let down by its interior..not even close to BMW caliber. I just see rental car fleet sales continuing to be their bread and butter. Their cars have come a long way since the Chevy Citation..but still not perceived to be in the same league as an Audi A7.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 77390

I’m going to have disagree, but I’m partial to Ferraris.

Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.. :)

This is kinda the GM hodge-podge. Like, which division is building the Porsche Cayenne/BMW beaters? Chevy is supposed to be the performance division I suppose..but the pedigree isn't there really, Corvette and Camaro aside. I think Cadillac has to be the division to build the Porsche/BMW beaters. But how do they do that? Escalade? Well, that's certainly a worthy vehicle..but it's no Cayenne beater. Maybe they've decided they just can't compete, I just don't know. The Camaro is let down by its interior..not even close to BMW caliber. I just see rental car fleet sales continuing to be their bread and butter. Their cars have come a long way since the Chevy Citation..but still not perceived to be in the same league as an Audi A7.

For a base price below $60K, 0-60 under 4 sec and actual color options....there is no better performance value out there...maybe for under $100K

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
You know it’s a big deal in the sports car when I had 4 separate non American car owners texting and calling me yesterday to see “what I thought of the new Vette” as they knew I detail lots of Vettes over the last 30 plus years. The Porsche 911 and Vettes are far and away my most common detailing cars and most of their owners are VERY into cars and often chat with me about cars while I detail.

More of an Import guy myself and would never consider a Domestic car until the C7 Stingray and latest version of Mustang GT350 came out. Both are such leaps and bounds above the previous generations that even import lovers now include them in their cars for consideration. One of yesterday’s calls was someone considering a used Ferrari 360 that could now get a loaded C8 for far less money with a warranty and WAY cheaper maintenance of course. His issue is that the Vette is “too cheap” so they will be a “common as a Camry now”! #firstworldproblems lol

Loving the front and side profile of the C8 but the back is a little bit of a let down in pics. Found I hated the C7 Stingray rear in pics but didn’t mind it in real life so hopefully the C8 is the same.

In Canada the vette is going to start at $70k CAN so an even better deal here. Great article on the new vette compared to its competition.

https://driving.ca/chevrolet/corvet...y/motor-mouth-mid-engine-corvette-c8-stingray

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
..and what's with that button strip in the interior?!?!
Lol. It’s really astonishing how GM never fails to do something mind boggingly cheesey and stupid. And they wonder why people laugh.
The attention that takes to see and press a button in that strip - you might as well just start texting.
CD336B01-4EB4-4948-8272-E53501D5AD12.jpeg

I always thought Pagani’s interior was questionable esp on a €1million car. Visited the “factory” in 2008. (I hear they moved to a different facility since) It was tiny, like a small fab shop on Long Island. You don’t get to see much, and they drapped stuff, partially built car?, with sheets. They don’t want you to see how they’re built. It was basically a contract carbon fiber shop that supported? car making.
What was the most impressive thing of the visit was the open wheel formula 4 style race car the guy designed and built at 19yrs old.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online