• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

News on liftblog related to several threads

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Over on the colorado thread, @mikel posted a link to https://liftblog.com
Scrolling past the story he was referencing, I noticed news relevant to several topics we have discussed in the past:

The Balsams goes up for sale. (From the linked listing: "The Balsams development team is prepared to work hand-in-hand with new investors, whether that be moving forward with their approved plans or shifting gears to a new vision. ")
The City of Steamboat considers a deal with Alterra to operate Howelsen Hill.
Berkshire Bank wants the Hermitage to be liquidated.
James Niehues is at work on an all new trail map for Wolf Creek. Also Sun Peaks, Sugar Mountain, Ski Santa Fe
Because 27 lifts isn’t enough, Big Sky is working on two more in Moonlight Basin and on Flatiron Mountain.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What? Nothing on Saddleback? :roflmao:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I had been in Vail on Sat and during the course of the afternoon the conversation involved the proposed lift between Vail and BC. I went to lift blog to see what was posted there. Sounds like that is pretty much over.

I'd heard rumors of such a lift many years ago. The closest that Vail gets to BC is 6 miles as the crow flies.

upload_2019-7-15_17-39-17.png

What details (such as they might be) are you aware of? It would be well over twice as long as the Zugspitze Gondola in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany. Granted they could do it in two stages with a break, at say, Hwy 24 but still that would be 3 miles each.

The longest (and shortest) ski lifts in the world

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s going to be bundled with The Balsalms and the Hermitage.

Please. That's like bundling Eric Clapton with The Monkees and Herman's Hermits.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had been in Vail on Sat and during the course of the afternoon the conversation involved the proposed lift between Vail and BC. I went to lift blog to see what was posted there. Sounds like that is pretty much over.

I'd heard rumors of such a lift many years ago. The closest that Vail gets to BC is 6 miles as the crow flies.

View attachment 77271

What details (such as they might be) are you aware of? It would be well over twice as long as the Zugspitze Gondola in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany. Granted they could do it in two stages with a break, at say, Hwy 24 but still that would be 3 miles each.

The lift discussed (and seemingly rejected) was between Eagle Vail and Beaver Creek, a much shorter distance.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/local/eaglevail-chairlift-cant-get-off-the-ground/

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Please. That's like bundling Eric Clapton with The Monkees and Herman's Hermits.

I saw Herman's Hermits in Lynn MA a couple of years ago. Peter Noone and his band (forget if any were original hermits) played their own and a bunch of other British Invasion pop hits, with a wink, playing the music seriously but being well aware of how ridiculous the situation was. I particularly liked one bit where he struts across the stage, holding an album cover of himself as a young man covering his face. It was fun!

Come to think of it, I had a good time seeing the Monkees too. Never seen Clapton.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well it’s all about sitting through the Monkees and the Hermits to see Clapton. Hopefully by that tine he’s not too stoned to play.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier

View attachment 77271

It would probably make sense to drop it into Minturn to offer more lift side lodging, boost Minturns economy and get employee traffic off the 70. There is already a bc run called the Minturn Mile that drops into town from Vail. Europe would do it.

Sponsor

Staff online