• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Newbie's first skimo race

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hit my local beer league's first race tonight.

Things that went well: The beer part. The downhills. Didn't vomit. Didn't come in DFL. Nailed my outfit choice (everyone needs a Dakine Callahan or Snorkel base layer fleece for the skin track. Warm enough to wear as a single layer in low-20 temps, but wicks like a dream).

Things that didn't: Getting uphill. Apparently being able to grind out a lot of vert in a day and being able to charge through some vert in an hour are very different. I would blame it on the 10 extra lbs on my feet compared to a majority of the racers, but I think the 11 year old in frame bindings may have beaten me (I definitely beat him at the beer part tho).

Highly recommend hitting a local league. There are plenty of plebeians in the rec category who suck wind & aren't decked out in race spandex. It's a great way to get out on your gear before an avy class, meet new touring partners, or get some speed work in (especially when snow conditions are otherwise lacking). Bonus, if it really sticks, great excuse to add to the quiver.

Sponsor

Staff online