• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety New York Times Backcountry

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good overview and no paywall for me either. Some locals must be cringing to see this publicized, but I doubt any of the spots mentioned are big secrets. Backcountry in many places is serious business (dangerous). I hope with the increasing popularity we don't see increasing accidents, but I suppose that's inevitable.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good overview and no paywall for me either. Some locals must be cringing to see this publicized, but I doubt any of the spots mentioned are big secrets. Backcountry in many places is serious business (dangerous). I hope with the increasing popularity we don't see increasing accidents, but I suppose that's inevitable.
I can’t see any locals cringe about the publication of those spots. All the locations I have looked at, I have found descriptions of those exact spots online already. Considering that this is not a map, or have parking directions, I really can’t see this article driving people to places they would not have ended up otherwise.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
cowritten by David Goodman. I think some of the places have been included in his books. We have a guy who was on Pugski, trying to remember his name... I think it is Cliff, who I skied with a bunch at the last Utah gathering who lives near and has done volunteer work on the Brandon Gap glades. I have been wanting to try them.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
cowritten by David Goodman. I think some of the places have been included in his books. We have a guy who was on Pugski, trying to remember his name... I think it is Cliff, who I skied with a bunch at the last Utah gathering who lives near and has done volunteer work on the Brandon Gap glades. I have been wanting to try them.
Is that Amy Goodman's brother from up here in Vermont? I didn't even notice that! Thanks! I was supposed to BC w/ him and another buddy from down the road this winter, but told my friend that I'm a total outta shape poser and couldn't keep up! :geek: I'm scared to go w/ those guys...... they are the "Real Deal" and will eat my legs and lungs for breakfast! Some of these BC pple are in INSANE shape...

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
He's written a bunch of books on back country skiing and ski tours in New England and NY. I think he has done a lot of "active research" over the years.

Sponsor

Staff online