• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I saw these today and they interested me, so maybe I’m not the only one. R16 is the name. Tyrolia already as Z13, Z16 and Z17 among others so who cares about this? The answer is anyone who wants to have a metal bodied binding but wants to be able to run it at lower DINs. This binding goes from 5-16. Z17 starts at 7, and Z16 is even higher. Z13 has a plastic body and the less solid feeling tractor AFD. This one uses a flip tab for forward pressure rather than the Z16s worm screw, and it doesn’t have the free flex bridge. A nice new option for us.
0B8C3850-4203-4CB2-873B-82B8974D894D.jpeg
905AB006-3D0A-4BFD-967E-DEDECE98FADD.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
5-16 is a huge settings range.

I don't have my catalogs with me in Utah, but my guess is that we will see unified numbers across the brands, Tyrolia, Fischer, Elan and whoever is rebranding a Tyrolia race binding.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Weren't the Fischer Z series always 1 more DIN higher than a stock Tyrolia/Head binding ?

... Not unlike Nigel Tufnel's amps that went to 11

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Weren't the Fischer Z series always 1 more DIN higher than a stock Tyrolia/Head binding ?

... Not unlike Nigel Tufnel's amps that went to 11

LOL, back in the day I used to set my Tyrolia 490s (lighter spring than 490D) that went from 4 to 10 at 11, i.e. the indicator pointed to where an 11 would be on the scale had they bothered to print it, for seriously scary no falls allowed skiing.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
5-16 is a huge settings range.

I don't have my catalogs with me in Utah, but my guess is that we will see unified numbers across the brands, Tyrolia, Fischer, Elan and whoever is rebranding a Tyrolia race binding.

Yes, Head was next door and they had it too. Actually the Head rep had more info about it, he said that this binding was driven by park and pipe athletes that prefer it to the Aaattack binding.

James

Out There
Instructor
What's the consensus on flip tab vs worm screw for forward pressure? In terms of bindingness, not ease of use.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, Head was next door and they had it too. Actually the Head rep had more info about it, he said that this binding was driven by park and pipe athletes that prefer it to the Aaattack binding.
Interesting, this looks like it goes back to the old Mojo toe that everyone loved but in a modern design. Good find @Erik Timmerman

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
What's the consensus on flip tab vs worm screw for forward pressure? In terms of bindingness, not ease of use.

Worm screw allows finer scale adjustment of forward pressure. It probably only really matters for 1-2% of skiers. But the ease of use means I always prefer worm screws when possible.

Sponsor

Staff online